PDA

View Full Version : International money transfer to Russia how long?

ezik
31-03-2013, 11:54
My employer wired an amount through a Dutch bank to my Russian Sberbank account.

Any experiences on how long such a transfer usually takes?

Wired amount is in EUR, target account in Rubles. And, as far as I understand, the sending bank converts EUR to RUR and then transfers RUR to Russia.

penka
31-03-2013, 12:51
My employer wired an amount through a Dutch bank to my Russian Sberbank account.

Wired amount is in EUR, target account in Rubles. And, as far as I understand, the sending bank converts EUR to RUR and then transfers RUR to Russia.

4-5 biz day as a rule.
If your account is in RUB, wired money will be automatically converted into that currency before the actual transaction.

mrzuzzo
31-03-2013, 14:11
Usually takes me 2 days from Canada via a US correspondent bank in NY. 5 days max.

FatAndy
01-04-2013, 14:34

My former employer had USD account in Citibank in Taipei and sent me USD sums to my USD account in Sber via corresponding account of Sber in BOA. Usually money appeared the same day (SMS notification is useful thing ;)), but sometimes it happened over-the-weekend, if sent in Friday or Saturday.

Warder
01-04-2013, 17:41
It will take up to 3 business days.
Most likely EUR will be converted to RUR by Sberbank at a moment when money arrives.

FatAndy
03-04-2013, 00:17
It will take up to 3 business days.
Most likely EUR will be converted to RUR by Sberbank at a moment when money arrives.
It depends on the type of your target account currency. If it is in EUR, no conversion then, if in RUB, then it will be converted (not by CBR rate, but by Sber rate).

ezik
04-04-2013, 21:09
Sverbank rate turned out to be OK.
And the time it took was not very long actually, counting that it was actually transferred during public holidays in NL, to april 1st inclusive. So the schedule was:
- 2 april before noon: substracted from sender account
- 4 april at noon: on my account.

So that means that once the money is in Russia, it takes 48 hours to process.

However, Sberbank was careful not to promise anything when I asked at the desk yesterday (3rd of april). They told it could take up to 5 days. Even though it took 2 days in the end...

It depends on the type of your target account currency. If it is in EUR, no conversion then, if in RUB, then it will be converted (not by CBR rate, but by Sber rate).

FatAndy
04-04-2013, 22:28
Sverbank rate turned out to be OK.
Well, it depends. I already shared my experience when the total gap between Sber rate and obmennik of other bank caused 600-800 rub difference if you change 2K of Dirty Green Papers. A bottle of cognac just off the air ;)

My congrats that everything is OK. I recommend you to go to your Sber dept where you keep your account and write the form for SMS notification on all ops on your account(s)/card(s). Really useful thing. It costs ~ 2 bucks/mo for usual Master/Visa and 0 for Gold+ ones.

ezik
04-04-2013, 22:52
The SMS notification is very handy. I had it turned on already and it brought me the good news today.

I was just wondering about the timing.

May have lost a bottle of cognac in the process, but on the total amount transferred, it's just pennies. ;)

Well, it depends. I already shared my experience when the total gap between Sber rate and obmennik of other bank caused 600-800 rub difference if you change 2K of Dirty Green Papers. A bottle of cognac just off the air ;)

My congrats that everything is OK. I recommend you to go to your Sber dept where you keep your account and write the form for SMS notification on all ops on your account(s)/card(s). Really useful thing. It costs ~ 2 bucks/mo for usual Master/Visa and 0 for Gold+ ones.

FatAndy
04-04-2013, 23:05
May have lost a bottle of cognac in the process
I can't accept such attitude...:rant:
:D

ezik
04-04-2013, 23:17
Oops sorry!
Let's kill a bottle to settle the issue! :)

I can't accept such attitude...:rant:
:D

vvv82
24-04-2013, 18:54
Oops sorry!
Let's kill a bottle to settle the issue! :)

Ezik,
One recommendation that i've not seen here is to have your target account in the same currency as the one you're receiving. In this case you don't loose any money on the bank's internal conversion rate (which if always favourable to the bank, no surprises..) - just pay the transfer fee.
I'm sure they have dollar and euro accounts in Sberbank.

You're then faced with the question of what to do with foreign currency in russia, but then again - you might actually not spend it all, and save some for the furure generations:)

skomie86
09-05-2013, 14:35
Check out one suggestion to transfer usd to Russia (then into rubles). Facebook.com/sendthemrubles
There are no fees involved and can be instant depending on the amount and method of transfer.