PDA

View Full Version : Where to advertise?

th&vk
22-11-2007, 12:08
Dear fellow teachers of all shapes and sizes,

I was wondering if you'd all be willing to share information about where you advertise/promote your services, other than here on expat.ru?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Bels
25-11-2007, 17:31
Design and print out some small poster with tear off telephone numbers and stick as many as you can in your area, you may find public notice boards outside blocks of flats, bus stops, but stick them where you can and keep checking your to ensure nobody has torn them off, or somebody has stuck their poster on top of yours. Also local newspapers, and perhaps classified in Moscow Times. Best be printed in Russian if you can.

Also ask any local school, college or university if you can stick a poster on their notice-boards.

I myself would like to hear of any other forums who encourage advertising for teachers. In Russian or English. In fact I do beleive Russian has a better response. Especially if you are seeking the attention of non- English speaking parents of children and teenagers, or if you are seeking beginners.

th&vk
26-11-2007, 12:05
Design and print out some small poster with tear off telephone numbers and stick as many as you can in your area, you may find public notice boards outside blocks of flats, bus stops, but stick them where you can and keep checking your to ensure nobody has torn them off, or somebody has stuck their poster on top of yours. Also local newspapers, and perhaps classified in Moscow Times. Best be printed in Russian if you can.

Also ask any local school, college or university if you can stick a poster on their notice-boards.

I myself would like to hear of any other forums who encourage advertising for teachers. In Russian or English. In fact I do beleive Russian has a better response. Especially if you are seeking the attention of non- English speaking parents of children and teenagers, or if you are seeking beginners.

Thanks, Bels. I'll give the mini-poster with tear-off a try ...

I did once advertise in The Moscow Times and had a decent response -- except it was almost exclusively parents looking for tutors for children, whom I don't teach - but I got some amazing offers -- parents willing to send their chauffeur to get me, any price I wanted ... so for those who teach kids, one-to-one, I think the Moscow Times is an especially good spot

SalTheReturn
26-11-2007, 13:18
I am between the ones who has always wondered if the MT really worked

people were telling me you get lots of calls..but from schools usually!!!

anyway I am happy to hear different experiences

how much does an ad cost in there?

AstraTeaching
26-11-2007, 13:49
I am between the ones who has always wondered if the MT really worked

people were telling me you get lots of calls..but from schools usually!!!

anyway I am happy to hear different experiences

how much does an ad cost in there?

As far I as remember, around RUR 1500 for 5 consecutive days. I never got a single call from my ad there, so I don't bother with it now.

Bels
26-11-2007, 18:52
Thanks, Bels. I'll give the mini-poster with tear-off a try ...

I did once advertise in The Moscow Times and had a decent response -- except it was almost exclusively parents looking for tutors for children, whom I don't teach - but I got some amazing offers -- parents willing to send their chauffeur to get me, any price I wanted ... so for those who teach kids, one-to-one, I think the Moscow Times is an especially good spot

Thanks for the recommendation of Moscow Times :) That's all I want now, Kids and young teenagers as this is my biggest response. But I now only want them in my classroom in the western region. I've now gone beyond running around the Rublievskie and Odentsova shosse areas, even If they chauffer me. I want them to come to me in groups.

Those offers you had, were they in the Western region of Moscow?

SalTheReturn
26-11-2007, 19:24
Thanks for the recommendation of Moscow Times :) That's all I want now, Kids and young teenagers as this is my biggest response. But I now only want them in my classroom in the western region. I've now gone beyond running around the Rublievskie and Odentsova shosse areas, even If they chauffer me. I want them to come to me in groups.

Those offers you had, were they in the Western region of Moscow?

whatever he is going to answer you, just give it a try bels
1500py sounds ok for a one off

Bels
26-11-2007, 19:26
whatever he is going to answer you, just give it a try bels
1500py sounds ok for a one off

I will , but nice to get feed back.

GMC
26-11-2007, 22:30
I put tear offs in the local shopping center door area after I got Permission the directors. Mostly they wanted money, but A Trade off for one of their kids works nicely. But be specific as to size of group, number in cl****when you must prepay and when it starts.Less Questions and if you have aclassroom to put them ADVERTISE NEARBY. Local market Local clients no travel time

OK Bels you'vebeen at it for some time so youmight have the time to advertise SLANDO.RU First 30 daysmustpost each day, afterthatyour ad stays for a week or two.

IZ RUUKEE RUUKEE (spelling) Produces minimal results short term and better resultsfrom one time ad in3 month period. Many of my studentscalledabout 30 days after ad placement
GMC

Bels
01-12-2007, 15:16
If I lived and worked in mainstream Moscow I would contact major companies in the city. By telephone to find the right individuals email address. And then email. But I would only do this if you have already got an established reputation and have settled in Moscow. You also should have residency and an entrepeneurs licence, so that you can officially invoice them with your personal stamp.

I think you would then have an advantage above the schools.

Bels
04-12-2007, 20:13
Why not try your popular local Russian newspapers in the classified. They work very well, after all, you are marketing to Russians, not expats.

Problems? You need to speak Russian or have a Russian wife or partner to do the administrating for you. This has now ended up virtually a fulltime job for my wife, as well as she needs to take care of my hyper-active 19 month old son. Looks he's going to be bi- lingual, stronger in English at t he moment :)

SalTheReturn
04-12-2007, 21:55
Why not try your popular local Russian newspapers in the classified. They work very well, after all, you are marketing to Russians, not expats.

Problems? You need to speak Russian or have a Russian wife or partner to do the administrating for you. This has now ended up virtually a fulltime job for my wife, as well as she needs to take care of my hyper-active 19 month old son. Looks he's going to be bi- lingual, stronger in English at t he moment :)

one nice place to ad it is "BolshoiGorod", the free publication

guess it is 400$ ad with your logo

italian school did and got a wide response (up to 30% more clients)

Bels
22-03-2008, 16:21
Any other good places to advertise?