PDA

View Full Version : 'Expedited' temporary residency method?

VladSkywolf
22-11-2007, 09:01
Well, everything is ready for me to submit my application for a temporary residency permit. Now it comes down to a matter of time. As I understand it, these permits normally take around six months to process. I, however, have the bad luck of having a visa which expires in 5 months. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid the expense and the hassle of having to obtain another one, even a short term one.

So my question is, what might be the best way to request 'expedited' service? :) I've heard of some people getting these things in a 4 1/2 month to 5 month timeframe, but I don't know if they lucked out with normal processing or managed to get 'special' processing. I'll be the first to admit I'm not very experienced at 'greasing the wheels', but if that's what it takes I'm willing to do it (when in Rome...). I have a family here so I don't want to leave them to go overseas for another visa, preferring instead to invest this money towards speedier processing. What can I say to the officials without being so blatant about it? Should this even be attempted?

BrianS
22-11-2007, 09:48
I think the 4 1/2 to 5 month people maybe got lucky with normal processing, and I know exactly what you mean as mine has already been filed for over a month, but I just got back from getting a 3 month visa in Kiev (I had to stay in Kiev 10 days after I turned in my visa application before they would give me my visa). I think the appropriate thing to say maybe when you are sitting in the office with the official as he/she checks your documents is that you were wondering if there was any way possible to expedite the processing. Then, with any luck, he'll take it from there and discuss your options with you. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

22-11-2007, 11:50
Note that the FMS has really many RP applications now, from Europe/America and CIS. It means that it can be even longer than 6 months, in Moscow.

But yes, it is possible to save about 30/45 days yes...To get the RP in let's say 5 months.

jeffpv
01-12-2007, 08:23
Here in Vladivostok I've been quoted $3500 to get my Temp. Res. in a month. :bash:

01-12-2007, 09:40
Here in Vladivostok I've been quoted $3500 to get my Temp. Res. in a month. :bash:

Be very careful with this. Any FMS officer can put a stamp in your passport in one minute, it won't mean that the residence permit is duly registered.

VladSkywolf
04-12-2007, 10:14
Be very careful with this. Any FMS officer can put a stamp in your passport in one minute, it won't mean that the residence permit is duly registered.

I agree, be very careful. One month sounds way too short - four sounds more reasonable. Not to mention that for $3500 I would just go back to the states.

As for myself, I didn't bother trying to go that route for a variety of factors, the biggest being I'm just not comfortable with it. In the end it turned out okay since they told me it shouldn't be a problem getting the permit before my visa expires.

Bels
04-12-2007, 11:54
Well, everything is ready for me to submit my application for a temporary residency permit. Now it comes down to a matter of time. As I understand it, these permits normally take around six months to process. I, however, have the bad luck of having a visa which expires in 5 months. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid the expense and the hassle of having to obtain another one, even a short term one.

So my question is, what might be the best way to request 'expedited' service? :) I've heard of some people getting these things in a 4 1/2 month to 5 month timeframe, but I don't know if they lucked out with normal processing or managed to get 'special' processing. I'll be the first to admit I'm not very experienced at 'greasing the wheels', but if that's what it takes I'm willing to do it (when in Rome...). I have a family here so I don't want to leave them to go overseas for another visa, preferring instead to invest this money towards speedier processing. What can I say to the officials without being so blatant about it? Should this even be attempted?

My wife tried very hard for me to get my visa extended whilst waiting for the completion of our residency. But it was a no go, I had to return to the UK even though I left my wife with a young baby and a 10yr old step son.

We are all in the same boat I'm afraid, and we just have to put up.

But please let us all know if anybody manages to get an extension whilst staying in Russia. I'd happlily be wrong on this one.

Bels
04-12-2007, 12:05
I would do the residency yourself, because your going to do all the visits etc yourself anyway. If your Russian is poor hopefully and I assume you have a Russian spouse of whom you are in good communication with who will help you all the way. This spouse will do all the necessary negotiations on your behalf, and yes this spouse will be spending a lot of time on your behalf.

As my wife often says, "Am I your wife or your personal assistant. I seem to have gained a full time job as your personal assistant".

Beware of agencies.

jeffpv
05-12-2007, 01:55

NOT paying that! It was simply what we were quoted when my wife and I went it. I'll simply wait, whatever time the temp res takes; I've nowhere to go.
Cheers for the warnings, though!

sarag
22-01-2008, 18:29
I am sure this question has been addressed elsewhere, but can anyone tell me whether we are required to stay in Russia while the temporary residency application is being processed??
I'm American, my fiance is Russian, and we're getting married at the end of February, after which I'll apply. I'll have to be back in the states for all of May and some of June, though, and he said that on the ovir web site it states that I have to remain in Russia throughout the application process.
So I don't know whether to start the whole criminal records business, because those are only valid for three months, right?
Can anybody share their experiences, conversations with officials on this issue?
Thanks!

Bels
22-01-2008, 20:34
You must leave if your visa runs out, and that includes on application. The restriction of staying in Russia applies to after your application has been officially accepted.

22-01-2008, 20:37
NO you haven't to stay here after you have submitted your documents to the FMS.

You must just be here when the TRP is ready.

before, of course if you have somebody who can visit the FMS office after 5 months, to get news, it would be better. But anyway not mandatory.

When the TRP is ready the FMS sends a letter to you (You have to supply 2 stamped envelopes with your name/address with all your documents).

I am sure this question has been addressed elsewhere, but can anyone tell me whether we are required to stay in Russia while the temporary residency application is being processed??
I'm American, my fiance is Russian, and we're getting married at the end of February, after which I'll apply. I'll have to be back in the states for all of May and some of June, though, and he said that on the ovir web site it states that I have to remain in Russia throughout the application process.
So I don't know whether to start the whole criminal records business, because those are only valid for three months, right?
Can anybody share their experiences, conversations with officials on this issue?
Thanks!