PDA

View Full Version : Russians - would you leave Russia ?

DaveUKagain
23-01-2004, 05:06
(For Russians only)

Hi folks - well, this is a subject which interests me - so the question (for Russians only, please) is "Given the opportunity, would you leave Russia and live in Europe or America ? "

I personally would NOT- it`s difficult to explain, but - friends, family, culture, traditions - if life is hard, life is hard, but I`ve been an expat twice before and really, I think life is just life, what you have around you is decoration and family and friends are everything. No matter what.

What do you think ??

Dave ;-)

Ledka
23-01-2004, 11:38
why only YES and NO? the choice is very limited.... I would say I wouldn't leave Russia in search of a better life cos life is the same everywhere and u need to work hard no matter where u live. But to get a new experience or to follow my man I would easily do that.

Limitchik
23-01-2004, 11:57
Dave if us here expats ain't able to vote, we can't see the results !

psiems
23-01-2004, 12:20
Lucky man he is I see!

DPG
23-01-2004, 12:37
<<<Dave if us here expats ain't able to vote, we can't see the results !>>>

Except for when we click the 'view results' link of course?!?!

PS: Dave: Told you you would;)!

Limitchik
23-01-2004, 15:04
Originally posted by DPG
<<<Dave if us here expats ain't able to vote, we can't see the results !>>>Except for when we click the 'view results' link of course?!?!

I knew that. I was just checking to see if you all were paying attention.

DPG
23-01-2004, 15:10
Hmmmm, yes, I thought that would be the case!

logoff
23-01-2004, 21:21
I left Russia 8 years ago. ;) what you trying to figure out from this poll?

DaveUKagain
24-01-2004, 21:13
DPG - you told me I would, heheee- not quite yet !! Sorry for the delay in proving you right - connection to the site went shaky.

"What am I trying to prove by this poll ? "

A large amount of Russian expats here in the UK (not all by any means) - go through an adjustment period when leaving Russia. A very large proportion, a few years on, seem to regret having left, or at least tend to say that life here isn`t much different than in Moscow. (The whole of Russia obviously has different standards of living and expectations, but I`m talking "Moscow" here) - and I`m very interested to see if the perception of what life`s like in the West is that it`s better or worse than Russia.

Of course, it IS - in a lot of ways, so that leads to interesting questions about what happens to Russians when they get here. Most are happy, most enjoy life here, but most tend to go through a period where they realise that life here is perhaps a little less desirable than their *perceptions* lead them to believe........

Any comment ??? I`m not trying to do East/ West comparisons here but it`s more about perception and the way people change when in new situations......

Edith
27-01-2004, 12:03
Any Russians on Expat will be biased infavour of leaving hence the poll can't be very reprasentative of the oppinions of Ivan Bloggs

DPG
27-01-2004, 17:32
<<<can't be very reprasentative of the oppinions of Ivan Bloggs>>>

Ivan Bloggs! I like that Edith!!:) [do you mind if I plagarise and use it from time to time - all royalties paid of course!;)]

yuriobass
01-02-2004, 08:04
the trouble here is that the level in my professional area has dropped far too low (after Soviet Union collapse) for creating anything competitive and it forces me to search for partners outside of Russia

DaveUKagain
01-02-2004, 15:20
Hi Yuriobass-

Very true comment. Scientists, teachers, nurses, doctors - all horrifically underpaid in Russia. I remember reading somewhere that Russia seemed to be determined to force its` brightest minds elsewhere by not paying them a living wage.

Interestingly, it seems from the replies that moe women than men would prefer to stay in Russia. Strong family ties, I wonder ???

yuriobass
01-02-2004, 17:06
Hello Dave,

I am not quite sure that the pay is the real reason. I admit a lot of people went away due to being underpaid, BUT - in my opinion- this new "democracy" we are kind of having now has given people too much freedom - with all the contemporary PR resources and abilities, you can just claim you are great, and most of people (well, "the crowd") will believe you are as they are A): not quite able to figure out the truth themselves - due to their low educational level or whatever, and B) most of Russians have always needed "The Lord". In old times, the masses were totally religious; then the communists took over in 1917 and replaced God with themselves in people's minds, and now - since they are gone - people again are starving to have idols, and this is where PR comes in. Look at all these nowadays' musicians, wirters, etc. - who would not get a penny outside of their homeland (Russia), yet are being treated like Gods by locals. Know how to get famous over here? Just invest some bucks into a major PR action - like putting posters with your name around all Moscow advertising some event (say, a gig at GZKZ "Rossia", for example) - people will believe you are a "great star". That easy...
And this crap leads to major downfall of professional level standards.

Well, better draw to a close, as I could go on forever about this sad subject...

anyaross
14-02-2004, 02:18
So the thing for me is that i love it here and think one can have here what he needs- and also travel abroad or work sometimes in Europe.... so i would not leave it
on the other hand ok for job it is possible to find here, all my needs i can satisfy as well but so far i don't know what will be with my private life- i mean when i will meet a man and we have good relations etc... and if it will appear that he can't live in Russia ( either he is russian but needs to leave Moscow, or he is a foreigner) i will think what is more important to be with him or to stay in Russia.....
- one more strange thing is that i was born in Russia yes- but my grandparents were not russian ( only 1 was)...but it seems i love it more then true russians

Sadie
14-02-2004, 09:13
I am 100% Moscovite and frankly speaking my Motherland lays within the borders of MKAD. I truly consider Moscow to be the best city with very good opportunities to develop yourself, to earn and to create. It lives 24-7, everything is opened at night, not like in europe or elsewhere. I am lovin' it. But .. when it is -20 C I am absolutely ready to forget my love for this city and to immigrate wherever. Like I said b4. I dream of a house on a beach with a palm in the yard. On the whole I lay on the global warming and maybe one day new russians who dream of the same will dig out a sea in the Moscow region. Then maybe I will forget my idea to move from Moscow.

quincy
14-02-2004, 18:59
An interesting piece of information for Russian readers - a recent survey in the United Kingdom (where family is much less important than in Russia), an amazing 70% of those questioned said they wished to leave Britain to live or permamently settle in another country (survey by the Daily Mail newspaper I believe)

Braders
15-02-2004, 18:39
With the average price of a house now bordering $200,000 in the UK it makes perfect sense financially and that's without mentioning the cost of living.

on SKY news:

Nurses cannot afford to buy a House in 85% of the country.
Policemen/women cannot afford to buy a House in 83% of the country.
Teachers cannot afford to buy a House in 81% of the country.

Okay these figures are exaggerated but probably only by 10-15%.

Filimon
16-02-2004, 02:52
Originally posted by quincy
An interesting piece of information for Russian readers - a recent survey in the United Kingdom (where family is much less important than in Russia), an amazing 70% of those questioned said they wished to leave Britain to live or permamently settle in another country (survey by the Daily Mail newspaper I believe)

Don't tell me you believe Daily Mail, please!

I think it's a bit paranoid to suggest that people in UK cannot afford to have decent accommodation. Not necessarily a purchased one, but any accommodation. Having gone through almost all salary bands in UK and without any financial support from my family whatsoever (which many UK graduates for one do get), I cannot say I lived poorly. Yes, I am in debt, but I paid my way through Uni myself, because I was not entitled to grants or loans. With good money management anything is possible.

quincy
16-02-2004, 15:13
I have to say this subject is a little non-political and so I am prepared to give the Daily Mail the benefit of the doubt.

But I think that wanting to live or settle abroad is not a new phenomenon in Britain. I don't think it has to do (only) with expensive housing. Over the past century millions of Britons left the UK for Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US, South Africa and smaller numbers also moved to Jamaica, India, Argentina, Brazil even Russia.

According to the survey most of those wanting to move abroad wanted to live in warmer climes (Italy, Spain etc)

earl
18-02-2004, 12:32
Dave,

I think your poll compresses the available choices -- there is a big difference between leaving for 2,5, or even 10 years because you want to experience life somewhere else with the intent of returning someday and leaving such that you only return to visit.

Oh, and the university I attend (wisc.edu) is quite happily importing Russians -- a number of mathematicians, physics researchers, especially solid state, and a couple of EEs and MEs. I think that the majority of premier Russian mathematicians are gone -- probably 2/3 to France and Germany and 1/3 to the US. If Russia turns themselves around WRT academics inside the next 10 years they might reverse that, but outside of 10 years I think most of these people will have put down roots where they are living.

Sadie, it's -20C before the wind chill around here too -- and we've had 2 feet of snow in the last month or so. I'm currently hating the midwest... Bring on the global warming.

-earl-

Sonya
25-02-2004, 10:29
I would not leave Russia for the whole life but would love to work in Europe and US for couple years just to get experience and then would come back to Russia.

geordie
25-02-2004, 10:40
For every 100 people who talk about living abroad, only 1 or 2 will actually do it.