PDA

View Full Version : Spouse visa? (Both Americans)

kira_hagen
21-11-2007, 12:11
My husband and I have been teaching here for two years on business visas, but his company is offering a work visa and contract now. I'm freelance and don't have a similar situation. They've said I just need a spouse/ dependent visa in relation to him, so have to get our marriage certificate from the States. No problem, it's stored with his family and can get mailed tomorrow, but does anyone know if we need anything else? Special stamps, notarized copies, etc?

Thanks a bunch.

Kira

Bels
21-11-2007, 12:45
I'm not sure on this one, but that's what a forum is all about isn't it. You may need a residency in residency? Or is there something else because of your husband. As a freelancer you might need an entrepeneurs registration from the local tax office.

VladSkywolf
21-11-2007, 13:27
They've said I just need a spouse/ dependent visa in relation to him, so have to get our marriage certificate from the States. No problem, it's stored with his family and can get mailed tomorrow, but does anyone know if we need anything else? Special stamps, notarized copies, etc?

If this visa is going to be applied for here (and if this follows the usual pattern for using foreign legal documents in Russia), I strongly suspect they may require your marriage certificate to be Apostilled (a type of international notary seal). Better to have his family do that before they send it here. Once you receive it, it may have to be translated into Russian and notarized (by a Russian notary).

This is not definite info for your specific case, but it's the procedure I had to follow before using any legal US documents here in Russia (besides my passport :)).

boscoe
21-11-2007, 13:43
Just been sent this from a large Foreign company working here in Russia...

New Government Resolution N 635 from 04.10.2007 "On the Introduction of Changes in
Visas...." entered into force on October 17, 2007.

This resolution makes the following changes:

I. All BUSINESS (Commercial) visa-subject foreign nationals who enter Russia as
visitors will be limited to stays in the RF CONTINUOUSLY or IN TOTAL of 90 days over
a 180-day period.
When the 90 days are fully used foreign individual need to leave the country and not
get back until the 180 days has expired.

These changes have been expected for some time as a response to the many foreigners
who are still working in Russia on the basis of these easy-to-get visas which are
generally intended for use by those businessmen who may be coming to Russia for
negotiations, to check up on investments, etc.

*** This change is NOT VALID for those on WORK VISAS. And we are working hard to
transfer every employee on work-
visas.
NB! Current legislation does not allow to apply for an accompanying family member
work-visas for non-married couples (foreign spouse).

*** This change is NOT VALID for those on business (commercial) visas issued before
(or even sometimes after) this resolution entered into force on 17/10/2007 IF there
is NO SUCH a RESTRICTION in the visa (in the line "Additional information")

PLEASE CHECK YOUR VISAS and if you still have questions / doubts about it's validity

II. A foreign citizen can obtain a visa to Russia ONLY in the country of his/her
citizenship.

*** This change is not valid if the visa applicant is from a country which has a
separate agreement with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. SCHENGEN countries
do have such an agreement with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Which means
that the citizens of SCHENGEN countries can apply for a visa in Russian Consulates
in any of the SCHENGEN countries.

IT IS VERY RECOMMENDED to check visa-related information on the website of the
Russian consulate where you are
planning to apply for a visa as local rules are different and change rapidly.
Access to such a websites you can have from the site of Russian Ministry of Foreign
Affairs:
Дипломатические и консульские представ&# (http://www.ln.mid.ru/zu_r.nsf/stracons) by choosing a country first.

fco1922
22-11-2007, 09:05
We have friends in this situation. The wife got a spouse visa. They had to supply a certified copy of the marriage certificate; a certified Russian translation (they had these done at the Russian Consulate in NYC); and then an apostille attached to the marriage certificate.

The husband was required to provide all his paperwork etc. It took time but it worked.

kira_hagen
22-11-2007, 12:33
Okay, thanks for your help. They sure know how to make everything complicated here. Oh well, it's all do-able. Might have to get a tourist visa for a month to tide us through to getting all the paperwork together, but it should be okay.