PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to get a Russian driver's license?

AnthonyM
20-11-2007, 14:53
I have held a U.S. driver's license for well over 10 years, but for various reasons would like to get a Russian driver's license. Has anyone out there done this before? If yes, what firm did you use? How did you do it?

I do not want to pay a company to go through driver's education. I do not have the time or desire to sit through such a course. (as a note: I do not work for an embassy, and do not have access to any of their services). Thanks for any help you can offer!

iceman
20-11-2007, 18:31
I need to do the same. I have a UK one and want to get a Russian one on the basis of that. Basically, I know what needs to be done and where to do it. It's just a matter of passing the theory test. I just cannot be bothered to revise for it. If you want to go through the ordeal together then PM me and we'll sort it out. We can spur each other on. Do you speak Russian? Cause how would you do the theory then? I guess they must have an equivalent in English, but that needs to be investigated.

Katrine L
21-11-2007, 01:11
Start from a call to GiBDD to get a primary info from them :)

tgma
21-11-2007, 09:23
I did this about 10 years ago, I don't believe anything has changed. You do indeed need to pass a theory test - you get 20 questions, and have to get 18 right. It takes a lot of learning, of some very precise regulations (things like whether you can overtake at an intersection in an urban area or a rural area), but there are lots of books of sample questions that you can buy, and you just work through them.

You do all this at Kolomenskoye GAI - you need to fill in a form, give them an official translation of your driver's license, a copy of your drivers' license, and pay some small fee. Then you take your test, and when you've got the stamp that says that you have passed the test, they do your license. I took the test, lots of people have a chat to the officer looking after the test room, and avoid the necessity.

One thing that I think has changed is that your license, due to the tortuous logic of the Russian bureaucratic mind, will only be valid as long as your registration. I got a ten year license. I believe that the rules also allow you to drive on an international license now (for a brief period, this was banned, which is why I got my license), so there is less need to do this.