PDA

View Full Version : Registering a Foreign Marriage Certificate

foulsmellinguglydog
09-03-2013, 11:34
Hi,

I am from the UK and I've just married my Russian wife in Denmark (for the time being I will live in the UK and she in Moscow). Our marriage certificate has been legalized and apostatized by the Danish Foreign Ministry and I've submitted my copy for registration in the UK. My wife wants to do the same in Moscow but is unsure of the procedure. She's been told that she needs copies of my divorce certificate, passport and one other document (not sure what!) but this sounds more like the procedure for getting married as it is the same as what we had to do in Denmark. Can anyone shed any light on the procedure? Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Best wishes.

PeteD
09-03-2013, 11:50
Hi, I can't help with your question about registering in Russia, but I am interested to know how you registered in the UK!

When we got married, 3 years ago, in Moscow, the UK rules, as I understood them, said that you could submit a copy of your marriage certificate for "keeping" in the UK, but the marriage was not recognised....

Have the rules changed?

penka
09-03-2013, 11:59
Hi,

I am from the UK and I've just married my Russian wife in Denmark (for the time being I will live in the UK and she in Moscow). Our marriage certificate has been legalized and apostatized by the Danish Foreign Ministry and I've submitted my copy for registration in the UK. My wife wants to do the same in Moscow but is unsure of the procedure. She's been told that she needs copies of my divorce certificate, passport and one other document (not sure what!) but this sounds more like the procedure for getting married as it is the same as what we had to do in Denmark. Can anyone shed any light on the procedure? Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Best wishes.

I would guess for you to marry in Denmark, you had already to present the divorce docs. And in Russia you just want the registration of your existing marriage. You'd need your marriage certificates translated (most probably, with the apostil) and head to the nearest ZAGS.

You wife is Russian, you say, so it won't be any problem for her to look up ZAGS on the net - they have some info, forms and addresses: http://zags.mos.ru
(Moscow)
Obviously, they will need your passports!

And, as usual in Russia, showing up in person is preferable to making calls, even if you are just making the enquiries.

Good luck
and congrats on you marriage!

foulsmellinguglydog
09-03-2013, 18:55
Thank you both for your comments and kind wishes.

Sorry PeteD - my unfortunate misuse of the word 'register'. The UK will recognise any foreign marriage providing it is a legal marriage (hence having it apostatized by the Danish Foreign Ministry). I have sent the marriage certificate to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office who will send it back to the country of marriage for authentication and then they will deposit it at one of the Register Offices. I will then receive a GRO copy on official 'paper'.

We have not yet decided where we will settle - my wife wants to stay in Moscow and I want to join her but finding a job out there that pays the type of salary I currently enjoy (or anywhere close to it) is proving to be a nightmare.