PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a soon to arrive expat

Lot10
19-11-2007, 19:56
I would love some insight on the following, very basic stuff, hope I don't annoy anyone with my ignorance of all things Russian.

We are a family with 2 young kids moving to Moscow in the New Year. Most people we have spoken to have said we should live on one of the Expat compounds, Rosinka has been recommended for all it's facilities. I understand compound living is not for everyone and I am not sure if I will love it or hate it, so I am interested to know if life in the city is doable with kids, does the pollution get really bad? are there enough green spaces?

are there any compounds that are closer to the city (I understand Rosinka is very far out)

Is it easy to get kids into your school of choice or are there waiting lists for the American, British, French schools.

What about medical care, for example, requiring an emergency surgery or things like mammograms, MRI's etc.

What about hiring a home help, nanny/housekeeper. I hear there is a big phillipine community, do they usually have legal status? (fillippino's in the UK are often illegal)

Is it possible to get Sky TV ?

Is the traffic really bad on weekends or is it just weekday rush hours that are bad ?

Is it better to bring electronic goods with us, TV, DVD etc or can they be purchased at a reasonable price there?

I hear there is a huge Auchan supermarket there; but are the queues as bad as I have heard (2hours plus at checkout) or is that an urban myth

Thanks for any responses, much appreciated !

19-11-2007, 20:37
Hello!

I won't reply about Rosinter as I don't know it, just IMO it is better to live inside the city among Russians rather than an "expat ghetto". But this is up to you :)

There are green areas everywhere 2 or 3 metro stops from the center. Pollution in Rosinter won't be lower than in any other area outside the center.

Medical care: Assuming you are from Belgium, you have probably a medical assistance. So you can use the European medical center: outrageous prices for Russians, but your medic assistance will cover them! Lucky you are, doctors are French and Americans!

Legal status for housekeepers etc: legal YES as they have a visa, but legal NO as they usually have no work permit. But legality in Russia is very... variable, and at least for such things it isn't really important.

Traffic during the week-ends is usually very good. But from Monday to Friday, rush hours are from 00 to 23.59! or quite so...

Electronics is cheaper here than in Europe according to a friend from Belgium living here. You can find all what you want. But the big difference with Europe is that here, prices can vary fof 300% or more for similar articles. There are places to avoid, you will learn them quickly if you read this site :)
Anyway bringing your electronics is the only thing to not do, unless your mobilephones and SMALL devices. Try to bring a TV and you will get in trouble at the customs!

There are 3 or 4 big Auchan here, you must have a car to go there (there are busees and even free buses, but overcrowed and simply not usable if you buy goods at Auchan!) There are queues, but probably in Belgium too, on some peak hours. The biggest queues are to go in/outside the parking...

More questions, just ask, many people will reply :)

Bels
19-11-2007, 22:44
I would love some insight on the following, very basic stuff, hope I don't annoy anyone with my ignorance of all things Russian.

We are a family with 2 young kids moving to Moscow in the New Year. Most people we have spoken to have said we should live on one of the Expat compounds, Rosinka has been recommended for all it's facilities. I understand compound living is not for everyone and I am not sure if I will love it or hate it, so I am interested to know if life in the city is doable with kids, does the pollution get really bad? are there enough green spaces?

are there any compounds that are closer to the city (I understand Rosinka is very far out)

Is it easy to get kids into your school of choice or are there waiting lists for the American, British, French schools.

What about medical care, for example, requiring an emergency surgery or things like mammograms, MRI's etc.

What about hiring a home help, nanny/housekeeper. I hear there is a big phillipine community, do they usually have legal status? (fillippino's in the UK are often illegal)

Is it possible to get Sky TV ?

Is the traffic really bad on weekends or is it just weekday rush hours that are bad ?

Is it better to bring electronic goods with us, TV, DVD etc or can they be purchased at a reasonable price there?

I hear there is a huge Auchan supermarket there; but are the queues as bad as I have heard (2hours plus at checkout) or is that an urban myth

Thanks for any responses, much appreciated !

Massive subjects, and a lot covered here on this forum, choice of schools , area to choose. Do you you want area for fresh air or do do you want convenience to all you want in Moscow. Moscow is not the fastest moving area for any form of traffic.

Let's keep this post and cover it piece by piece.

Let's start by area, if you want clean air, go just outside Moscow city. Go west and get a house on the Rublievskie shosse (Road) THe houses are expensive there, Yes! after it;'s prime area with clean air and forests. If you want something less expensive try a flat on this shosse or roadin English

As I said, one thing at a time. Anybody have other opinions about area whether it be for convenience of travel or fresh air?

I live with the fresh air, clean river in Gorki !0. Off the Rublievskie shosse and that's what I'm happy with. Yes! it does have it's problems of conveniences now and again, but you can't find an area that has everything, can you?

SalTheReturn
20-11-2007, 00:42
lets start by saying that i dont agree with bels and find prices for hi-tech stuff lower in europe

yes, even gorbushka was kinda expensive compared to all the cheap stuff i can get here from megastores

ie. printer with scan and copy machine at as little as 39euros

Margo
20-11-2007, 01:09
39 euros?
Please Sal bring more details - is it regular price or some promotion or action.
And brand + model of the set.

SalTheReturn
20-11-2007, 01:16
39 euros?
Please Sal bring more details - is it regular price or some promotion or action.
And brand + model of the set.

here electronics is thrown at you and the point is that there are always promotions

you have got these people leaving leaflets constantly in your post box

Lexmark of course, dont remember the model

anyway i can tell you that the Motorola L6 Silver i bught in moscow for 100dollars cost here in the same period (Jan 2007) 85 and i have never found shitty-gorbushka to be particularly convenient

Bels
20-11-2007, 12:15
lets start by saying that i dont agree with bels and find prices for hi-tech stuff lower in europe

yes, even gorbushka was kinda expensive compared to all the cheap stuff i can get here from megastores

ie. printer with scan and copy machine at as little as 39euros

Which part do you disagree with, Sal? Hi-tech stuff wasn't mentioned by me. That was Guest's subject. And I go along with what he has to say, due to his experience of Moscow :)

SalTheReturn
20-11-2007, 14:49
Which part do you disagree with, Sal? Hi-tech stuff wasn't mentioned by me. That was Guest's subject. And I go along with what he has to say, due to his experience of Moscow :)

Bels next time I am in Moscow I am going to pay for one of your lessons, I really want to know how the hell you teach grammar

given that it will be a one off I will be happy to pay more to have you coming at mine

Bels
20-11-2007, 18:29
Bels next time I am in Moscow I am going to pay for one of your lessons, I really want to know how the hell you teach grammar

given that it will be a one off I will be happy to pay more to have you coming at mine

Can you clarify that last sentence? Have me coming to your what?

There you are, the first part of your free lesson from me.

SalTheReturn
20-11-2007, 20:36
Can you clarify that last sentence? Have me coming to your what?

There you are, the first part of your free lesson from me.

coming to teach me at my own location

Bels
20-11-2007, 20:55
I think you know the answer to that one, and that is I don't travel more than 200 metres to my own classroom, and you would be taught within a group.

Problem is that most of my groups are now children. And I don't have upper intermediate or advanced level adults for the moment. But I have one intermediate business English who within perhaps a few more months may well be studying Upper intermediate level.

Bels
20-11-2007, 21:44
We may appear to have gone off topic, but however, I hope I have made a very good point. Go to a location which you find convenient to the amenities you find most important to your way of life. At a guess, education for your kids, shopping, medical care and where you work. Calculate from there what is the most convenient.

I personally, or should I say my wife had already chosen the countryside just outside Moscow. That was her choice, because she chose what's stated many times by Russians, fresh air.

Many Russians take this fresh air as being important, and that's why Rublievskie shosse is growing fast, unfortunately :(. But it has its ups, because more students for me :), and has it's downs, as the forests are being chopped down :(.
Another up, there is a new fast circular road on the way for 2008, similar to the M25. The current single lane Rublievskie shosse is rather slow at times.

Take also into consideration guest's posts, he's a moscovite, and my wife is also a Moscovite.