PDA

View Full Version : LEGALS. Buying Dacha

allison
26-02-2013, 20:24
As you may have seen I am hoping to buy a Dacha. But I want to get everything legally correct. This seems difficult.

Is there a handbook that details all of the steps and pitfalls.

Can anyone recommend a reputable lawyer with lots of experience based in Moscow but with British offices as well?

Can anyone point to the major pitfalls of buying property in Russia?

Many thanks

Allison

Alan65
26-02-2013, 20:46
As you may have seen I am hoping to buy a Dacha. But I want to get everything legally correct. This seems difficult.

Is there a handbook that details all of the steps and pitfalls.

Can anyone recommend a reputable lawyer with lots of experience based in Moscow but with British offices as well?

Can anyone point to the major pitfalls of buying property in Russia?

Many thanks

Allison

You will not find a law firm with offices in Britian and Moscow dealing with conyeyancing unless you are spending 10 m plus....conyeyancing is the pits of the legal profession, well that and immigration law.

Moscow is not exactly the Costa Del Sol, Proveance etc for Brits wanting to buy property.

Spend your money on property and not lawyers.

allison
26-02-2013, 23:44
Alan65
Thank you but that seems to go against what I have read elsewhere on the net about buying in Russia.

I thought it could be problamatic. Am I wrong???

I am not well off financially and if I spend all of my savings on a house which then goes pear shaped I shall never be able to buy a house. And I really love Russia and want to buy a house there.

Thanks again

Allison

Alan65
27-02-2013, 00:47
Alan65
Thank you but that seems to go against what I have read elsewhere on the net about buying in Russia.

I thought it could be problamatic. Am I wrong???

I am not well off financially and if I spend all of my savings on a house which then goes pear shaped I shall never be able to buy a house. And I really love Russia and want to buy a house there.

Thanks again

Allison

Alison
If you love Russia that much then I dont think you have too much too lose, trust your heart and your head will follow and be at peace, you will make it work.

As much as I like Russia I dont love it enough to spend a few 100ks for me there are to omany options.

All I can say is trust yourself and if you believe in your dream it will come true.

Once upon a time I put my only 10k down on a property in London, I have never looked back....I do not see Moscow property prices going down and even if they do it will only be temporary....if you believe you will stick it through.

Go for it girl!!!!!

mesugener
01-03-2013, 03:14
hi Allison,
i know well certain russian real estate lawer who knows all ins and outs;
pm me if you interested or send e-mail at felixf8@gmail.com

bydand
01-03-2013, 15:28
I believe the major pitfall is ensuring who sells you the property is the only owner. Strange as it may seem someone can sell his "interest' in the house, the buyer unwittingly thinking they got the whole thing. Then a distant cousin could show up and claim his part! Without a clear history, and checking all the papers, do not buy a house.

Allison, if I were you, I would consider buying a house nobody lives in, ready to be torn down, simply for the gas, water, and electricity hook-ups. Judge is right about the cost of getting utilities to a lot without them. Tear down the house, have a contractor build a shell, or "balloon home" as they're called in the States (nothing inside, put the walls where you want), and finish it how and when you want. Ask the neighbors about the owner(s) to find them and make an offer.

Alan65
01-03-2013, 15:53
I believe the major pitfall is ensuring who sells you the property is the only owner. Strange as it may seem someone can sell his "interest' in the house, the buyer unwittingly thinking they got the whole thing. Then a distant cousin could show up and claim his part! Without a clear history, and checking all the papers, do not buy a house.

Allison, if I were you, I would consider buying a house nobody lives in, ready to be torn down, simply for the gas, water, and electricity hook-ups. Judge is right about the cost of getting utilities to a lot without them. Tear down the house, have a contractor build a shell, or "balloon home" as they're called in the States (nothing inside, put the walls where you want), and finish it how and when you want. Ask the neighbors about the owner(s) to find them and make an offer.

That is superb advice, in the UK one of the things any developer will first look at are services and their availability particulary sewage discharge.....just remember to cap teh gas supply, I know Russia may have a lot of gas but I am sure you dont want to burn up half a Siberian gas field :-)

AstarD
01-03-2013, 15:55
Does a foreign citizen have the right to buy land and property in Russia? Or is it a long-term lease (49 years)?

MashaSashina
01-03-2013, 16:39
Does a foreign citizen have the right to buy land and property in Russia? Or is it a long-term lease (49 years)?

They can buy both land and property,but with some limits (mostly regarding land).

tonytony
01-03-2013, 19:28

As mashasashina says above, the main issue is buying agricultural land or land in particular areas near the border.

There are different types of agricultural land and the designation of land can be changed so that you can build on it but, as a foreigner, it's much easier to stick to land that is designated as ИЖС для индивидуального жилищного строительства - for Individual Housing Construction.

There are also some border regions where you can't buy land of any type - although you can buy houses etc.

The details are here in Russian:-

http://www.kremlin.ru/acts/10033

For example, as a foreigner, you can't buy land in Sochi or Anapa so don't think you're going to get rich with the Olympics going there or the Grand Prix going there they're saving that for locals.

I was amazed to find out that there's even a part of St Petersburg where you can't buy land. The main port of St Pete is a place called Kronstadt which is on a small island and, as a foreigner, you're not allowed to buy land there.

Most of the places are the ones that you would expect, for example places like Dagestan and Ingushetia and most of far eastern Russia as well. However, there were some places I was perhaps surprised to see on the list, for example, the following towns are on the list:-

Kaliningrad, Belgorod, Murmansk, Pskov, parts of Volgograd

Well, I guess I can understand the reasons for places like Kaliningrad and Murmansk. But why Pskov or Volgagrad?

yakspeare
02-03-2013, 10:23
i can't have a dacha in Dagestan? Damn! the cheaper price would have allowed me to hire some heavies as guards for my motorbike clubhouse and speed lab. oh well.

allison
02-03-2013, 23:14
Thank you so much: mesugener, bydand, Alan65, AstarD, MashaSashina, tonytony, yeakspeare. This really is the most helpful forum.

I like your suggestion bydand.

Do you think it likely I may find such a property to the West of Moscow (within 20km of red square?)

If I do find somewhere is there any way to certainly confirm that nobody else has an 'interest' in the property.

Is it likely that land in the countryside to the west of Moscow near railways stations are ok for me to build on as a foreigner??

Thanks for any kind help , again!!!

Very best wishes to all of you.

Allison

Pat Morris
02-03-2013, 23:58
You don't need a lawyer to buy a dacha but you need a good Russian friend or several to deal with the bureaucracy. Then again, it depends how much money you are spending. I bought a dacha in Vladimir region and let my mother-in-law deal with most of it. The measurement of the plots were different on various documents and there was no document which registered the exchange of money or market value. There was a token judge in a civil office who married the deal. They asked for my Birth Certificate. How did I get a passport? I ask them. We went to another office. Yes it is a great pain in the ass but no lawyers I know would touch this. They make easier money on a 9-5 corporate job.

allison
03-03-2013, 00:49
Thanks Pat Morris. If you are right and I cannot get a lawyer to look at this what does everyone else do? I only worry because of some of the horror stories I have heard about in some parts of the EU - where I thought it would be safe to buy property.

I hope this is not too personal but how much did your dacha in the Vladimir region cost?

I didn't understand your comment about asking for birth certificate.

All the best

Allison

bydand
03-03-2013, 12:48
Do you think it likely I may find such a property to the West of Moscow (within 20km of red square?)

Thanks Pat Morris. If you are right and I cannot get a lawyer to look at this what does everyone else do? I only worry because of some of the horror stories I have heard about in some parts of the EU - where I thought it would be safe to buy property.

Allison

Sorry to say, but I don't think it likely, properties like that go pretty fast to the locals. Not impossible though.

You could certainly get a lawyers help, but I don't think you would like the cost.

allison
03-03-2013, 23:34
bydand. When you say property like that goes fast to locals do you mean months or weeks? And do they get advertised or should I wander around the areas I am interested in?
Thanks
Allison