PDA

View Full Version : DACHA buying near Moscow

allison
23-02-2013, 18:01
We are renting in Moscow but would like to buy a cheap Dacha near Moscow. Preferably toward Domodedovo or towards Vnukovo and in both cases prefer near to rail station.

Within 30 minutes by train of Moscow would be good.

Do we have any hopes of achieving this?

We do not have much money. But we are good at renovating!

Any advice appreciated.

Allison

Judge
23-02-2013, 18:57
30 mins from Moscow, near a train station....gas/electricity/running water, summer or winter dacha....

All depends on your budget 'We do not have much money' will probably only buy you a empty 6 or 10 sotok plot .

There's no harm in looking, I suggest you check out some dacha sites.
here's one.
http://www.incom.ru/sale-realty/cottage/?action=realty_search&hw=&cities=&cities_selected=&t%5B%5D=3&pf=2000000&pt=8000000&mkad_f=40&mkad_t=100&haf=0&hat=0&laf=0&lat=0&l=#

Link to a house below, just to give you an idea ,train station near..

Description:
Kashirskoye, 43 km. House made ​​of wood, in a decent CHT. Plot with fruit trees. The house is suitable for holiday vacation or for permanent residence. The owner came in the winter time to time, the roads clean. In 15 minutes w / train station. The gas in the foreseeable future.

http://www.incom.ru/sale-realty/cottage/1081104/

allison
24-02-2013, 22:37
Many thanks Judge. Very kind of you.

Can you help with more info please?

Is there a problem with security if I leave the dacha empty for large periods of time (sometimes 2 months).

What is the best kind of sewage connection to have? One of the properties I looked at on the site you mention says:
Sewage: Kanaliz.-pumping. substation. I have not heard of this. What does it mean?

Thanks again and best wishes.

Allison

Judge
25-02-2013, 09:54
Many thanks Judge. Very kind of you.

Can you help with more info please?

Is there a problem with security if I leave the dacha empty for large periods of time (sometimes 2 months).

It's important to have good neighbours, that's one of best security in dachaland,even then you can never be too sure.
Where you buy there could be security on the settlement, this you'll pay monthly or yearly for,it's not the best type because usually it's a man and his guard dog that might walk around the settlement once a day.
You can also have private security, a company sets up an alarm box in your dacha ,this is 'remote stationary security alarm GPS', monthly cost is about 1500ru a month.. The company will have cars that roam the area, and hopefully get there in time if an alarm goes off.If you go this way, make sure the security guards have the right to arrest the intruder, the company needs a special licence for this..
If you go with a company they put up signs saying your dacha is secured, this sign should make some people think twice.
Also, there's no harm in putting up a cctv camera on top of your house or high up in a tree, even if t doesn't work, could put some would be thieves off.

Back to neighbours, it best to have neighbours that live all year round, many people only stay for a few days at a time, it's something worth asking when you're looking for a dacha..

What is the best kind of sewage connection to have? One of the properties I looked at on the site you mention says:
Sewage: Kanaliz.-pumping. substation. I have not heard of this. What does it mean?

Thanks again and best wishes.

Allison

There are many different types for this, septic tanks starting from 100,000ru to over 500,000ru for the more sophisticated ones..
I think what you mention is where a lorry comes probably twice a year and pumps the sewage out from the tanks..

bydand
25-02-2013, 10:01
To me pumping substation sounds like it is low ground, and the city already has a pump (substation) to pump the sewage uphill to join the rest of the city sewers. But who knows?

Judge
25-02-2013, 10:04
To me pumping substation sounds like it is low ground, and the city already has a pump (substation) to pump the sewage uphill to join the rest of the city sewers. But who knows?

I was about to edit my post and mention you, since you are living the dacha dream now....btw how's that going? survived your first Russian winter...:D

If that's the system then it's a good one, less hassle, no need to call and pay people in..

mrzuzzo
25-02-2013, 11:43
I have a septic tank, you don't need to pump anything out of it ever but you do need to flush some bacteria down the toilet once every 2 weeks. It's not a big deal.

allison
25-02-2013, 12:43
Thanks again everyone; Judge, Bydand and MrZuzzo.
Very helpful information. Regarding Russian winters I have been in Russia a lot over the past 5 years and have experienced the worst weather - and also the opposite, the extreme heat a few summers ago.
Back to my Dacha. I would like to buy to the West of the city. But the lists of Dachas on the site mentioned does not give map links. Any suggestions?
Also, water supply seems an issue. Sometimes it says summer only and one I looked at was 'well'. Is it possible to have summer only water converted to all year round? And is well water safe - I used to live on a farm in England and our well was not safe to drink from.
Thanks again for all your help - so glad I found this forum, Allison
PS Is it normal to 'make an offer' in Russia or is the price fixed? And if it is ok to make and offer what % off the price is usual? Thanks again.

mrzuzzo
25-02-2013, 12:51
Thanks again everyone; Judge, Bydand and MrZuzzo.
Very helpful information. Regarding Russian winters I have been in Russia a lot over the past 5 years and have experienced the worst weather - and also the opposite, the extreme heat a few summers ago.
Back to my Dacha. I would like to buy to the West of the city. But the lists of Dachas on the site mentioned does not give map links. Any suggestions?
Also, water supply seems an issue. Sometimes it says summer only and one I looked at was 'well'. Is it possible to have summer only water converted to all year round? And is well water safe - I used to live on a farm in England and our well was not safe to drink from.
Thanks again for all your help - so glad I found this forum, Allison
PS Is it normal to 'make an offer' in Russia or is the price fixed? And if it is ok to make and offer what % off the price is usual? Thanks again.

Allison, ideally you'd want to have "city" water or central water system. The biggest issue with well water is that the pipes can easily freeze over winter time, and you might not have enough pressure.

The other thing to think of is heating, since you want an all year round house, I'd go with gas heating, preferably also hooked to a central system. I pay 3000rub/month for unlimited gas, and it's used for heating both the house and the water through a boiler, as well as for the stove.

Judge
25-02-2013, 13:10
I have a septic tank, you don't need to pump anything out of it ever but you do need to flush some bacteria down the toilet once every 2 weeks. It's not a big deal.

I take it your house is connected to a system that pumps out your sewage.

allison,Mr Z is right, gas is king, if you can get a place that's got a supply of gas then you'll be sorted...If someone says that gas will be connected soon, don't believe them, to have gas connected to a house costs about 500,000ru, well, that's the price I've been told..Heating house here alone on electricity will cost you easily 5000ru+ a month, depends on the size of your house..
If there's no gas then a fireplace is a good option, but you'll need a backup to this too.
I'm in the process of building house here, and have no gas connection, so putting in a fireplace and looking at what other alternative heating systems there are out there that won't cos the earth to run..Infrared heating system is another way to go, it's cheap to install and to run..

For water, you can have a well, but you'll need a good pumping system..

Are you looking for a simple dacha in the countryside, or an all season dacha that's well equipped with everything?

I think we are talking about a dacha in a settlement, if so, it's worth checking if the roads and paths are cleaned.All these little things need to be known..

allison
25-02-2013, 14:46
Thank you again MrZuzzo and Judge.
Yes I want an all seasons Dacha. And yes I want gas and a mains water supply.
Basically, cannot afford a place in Moscow so a Dacha that is quite small and possibly needs work would be ideal. By a 'settlement' do you mean a village or do you mean an enclosed community (with a fence around). Really I want a village with a railway station that I can easily walk to - we don't have a car.
Also, another problem is that my savings are in sterling. And the pound is dropping like a stone against the Ruble. Today its about 45.

Thanks again - is there a good guide to buying a Dacha near Moscow? I have about 70,000 in savings.
Or could I buy a plot of land and build like you are Judge? I only want 2 bedrooms and sitting/kitchen. Somewhere small.
Thanks for any help
Allison

mrzuzzo
25-02-2013, 15:06
I take it your house is connected to a system that pumps out your sewage.

I have no idea. I am renting and the landlord didn't tell me much about it. All I know is once a week I have to flick a switch that turns on a pump that pumps the sewage from one septic tank to some other tank. Would be nice to know how it actually works..

I'm in the process of building house here, and have no gas connection, so putting in a fireplace and looking at what other alternative heating systems there are out there that won't cos the earth to run..Infrared heating system is another way to go, it's cheap to install and to run..

Fireplace is a pain in the **** especially since it gets really cold at night. Again it depends on the quality of the insulation but this being a standalone house it will get really cold really fast when the temperature drops to -30.

I'd install an autonomous gas system with an in ground gas tank that gets filled once a month.

mrzuzzo
25-02-2013, 15:11
Thanks again - is there a good guide to buying a Dacha near Moscow? I have about 70,000 in savings.

I think for that price for an all year round dacha you are looking at buying somewhat far from Moscow. Definitely over an hour from city center.

allison
25-02-2013, 15:37
Thanks MrZuzzo. Kind of you to reply so quickly.

What is the best side of Moscow to buy? I heard 'West is best' is this true?

Best

Allison

Alan65
25-02-2013, 16:45
Thanks MrZuzzo. Kind of you to reply so quickly.

What is the best side of Moscow to buy? I heard 'West is best' is this true?

Best

Allison

For 70 k sterling look at A101...you can buy there for 150k gbp

allison
25-02-2013, 17:34
Thank you Alan65.

I shall look in that area.

Are there any other websites good for dachas?

Thanks

Allison

Judge
25-02-2013, 19:57
Thank you again MrZuzzo and Judge.
Yes I want an all seasons Dacha. And yes I want gas and a mains water supply.
Basically, cannot afford a place in Moscow so a Dacha that is quite small and possibly needs work would be ideal. By a 'settlement' do you mean a village or do you mean an enclosed community (with a fence around). Really I want a village with a railway station that I can easily walk to - we don't have a car.
Also, another problem is that my savings are in sterling. And the pound is dropping like a stone against the Ruble. Today its about 45.

Yes, settlement is with a fence around it, many of these places are hit and miss..If you're just after a small place near a train station and not that fussed about other things , like,lake, forest etc, then your search will be easier..

Or could I buy a plot of land and build like you are Judge? I only want 2 bedrooms and sitting/kitchen. Somewhere small.
Thanks for any help
Allison
For that amount you'll be hard pressed to find something all done up, like you said, ''we are good at renovating''

The best thing to do is when they weather gets better is to visit some villages,they should have their own local paper with what's for sale ..
The plot option is OK, this way you get to build what you want..
I'll find you more links later on, when I have more time...

Judge
25-02-2013, 20:23
I have no idea. I am renting and the landlord didn't tell me much about it. All I know is once a week I have to flick a switch that turns on a pump that pumps the sewage from one septic tank to some other tank. Would be nice to know how it actually works..

Yes, two tanks, that's to separate the sludge, and once it's full it needs pumping out , I guess..... Ask your landlord, will be interesting to know

Fireplace is a pain in the **** especially since it gets really cold at night. Again it depends on the quality of the insulation but this being a standalone house it will get really cold really fast when the temperature drops to -30.

The insulation of the house has been my top priority, not cutting any corners when it comes to the wood for the house and windows..I'll have a backup heating system to the fireplace, which one? not decided yet..
Geothermal house heating is an excellent way to go, but it's very expensive to install, but you save in the long run on your bills..

I'd install an autonomous gas system with an in ground gas tank that gets filled once a month.
Sounds a bit too dangerous to me, if there's a leak then my shashlik will be well done...:focus:
I'll give it some thought though,worth checking out..

allison
26-02-2013, 15:29
Thanks Alan65

Would there be a chance of a cheaper property if it is really small?

Best wishes

Allison

Alan65
26-02-2013, 15:40
Thanks Alan65

Would there be a chance of a cheaper property if it is really small?

Best wishes

Allison

http://www.masshtab.ru/project/14

Цена: от 57 555 руб./кв.м.

for a type A which is 94 m2 so circa 120 k, this is about as much as I know about the place....but what I do know is that it is part of a large development, approx 120, 000 new homes. I only know about this as I was approached by a company there offering me a job.

The best I can offer is go down there and have a look, its only 25 mins on the orange line and a short bus ride.

allison
26-02-2013, 23:45
Thanks Alan65. Am I likely to be able to buy a small place in bad condition for less than 100k ??
Thanks again
Allison

Alan65
27-02-2013, 00:13
Thanks Alan65. Am I likely to be able to buy a small place in bad condition for less than 100k ??
Thanks again
Allison

Allison

So sorry I can not help you more as I am in London an this was simply something that came up a meeting, personally If I were you I would jump on the tube down to Teply Stan/Yasenevo and have a look around....I am sure there will be bad places in need of renovation....I dont think renovations are something Russians do

No offence meant, just experience.

Judge
27-02-2013, 00:14
Alan's link is a type called Townhouses , very popular now around Moscow, nice looking places with good security..Average price for such houses start around 5m ru and upwards.

allison, about where to look,in newspaper kiosks around Moscow, there is a magazine that sells dachas, townhouses, etc for sale, it's a thick magazine...Try and look for it next time you pass a kiosk.

If you don't mind me asking ( you can send a PM) is your partner Russian?
Asking because when you get all the documents, they will all need checking before you sign.

Alan65
27-02-2013, 00:22
Alan's link is a type called Townhouses , very popular now around Moscow, nice looking places with good security..Average price for such houses start around 5m ru and upwards.

allison, about where to look,in newspaper kiosks around Moscow, there is a magazine that sells dachas, townhouses, etc for sale, it's a thick magazine...Try and look for it next time you pass a kiosk.

If you don't mind me asking ( you can send a PM) is your partner Russian?
Asking because when you get all the documents, they will all need checking before you sign.

Thanks Judge, all I was trying to do was say that you can get places in Moscow that do not cost a kings ransom and are not that far above Allisons budget and you dont need to be a millionaire to live somewhere.

Judge
27-02-2013, 00:29
Thanks Judge, all I was trying to do was say that you can get places in Moscow that do not cost a kings ransom and are not that far above Allisons budget and you dont need to be a millionaire to live somewhere.

I didn't look much at that site, but if ''type A which is 94 m2 so circa 120 k'' is the cheapest going then that's nearly double her budget, and maybe it's not even turnkey but shell , with loads of work still to do..Average fit up for such houses is usually another 1.5m ru +.

Alan65
27-02-2013, 00:36
I didn't look much at that site, but if ''type A which is 94 m2 so circa 120 k'' is the cheapest going then that's nearly double her budget, and maybe it's not even turnkey but shell , with loads of work still to do..Average fit up for such houses is usually another 1.5m ru +.

So ...what is expected of fit out

Kitchen fittings, gas, electric, water
Bathroom fitting - as above
Electrical sockets etc
Painting
Plastering

Who signs off the finished product if anyone.....sounds like buying a car and having to put the wheels and seats in yourself.

Judge
27-02-2013, 01:06
So ...what is expected of fit out

Kitchen fittings, gas, electric, water
Bathroom fitting - as above
Electrical sockets etc
Painting
Plastering

Who signs off the finished product if anyone.....sounds like buying a car and having to put the wheels and seats in yourself.

Don't forget flooring and radiators all over the house, 95sqm is a decent area to cover.I remember seeing one townhouse and they said that more cement is needed to straighten out the floor, it depends on the project.. The average remont for a poxy one room flat is easily 400,000ru for bathroom/kitchen and the room.

For how much do you say a house that size can be fitted out ? don't forget this is Moscow, very expensive city.;)

Alan65
27-02-2013, 12:01
Don't forget flooring and radiators all over the house, 95sqm is a decent area to cover.I remember seeing one townhouse and they said that more cement is needed to straighten out the floor, it depends on the project.. The average remont for a poxy one room flat is easily 400,000ru for bathroom/kitchen and the room.

For how much do you say a house that size can be fitted out ? don't forget this is Moscow, very expensive city.;)

So basically they leave the hard part to the buyer where lots of integration is required between trades do they not provide options to do a fit out for you...i.e.

bathroom type a, b, c, d etc
kitchen type a, b, c, d etc

allison
27-02-2013, 20:05
Thank you so much all of you: Alan65 and Judge.

Yes my partner is Russian but we are not really together so that is why I have so little money. I doubt he would help very much.

I shall try the ideas you suggested. But.... if anyone comes across a very small place in need of renovation near a railway station to the West of Moscow and no more than 25km from red square and no more than 78K please do let me know!!!!! :)

Best

Allison

Judge
27-02-2013, 21:56
So basically they leave the hard part to the buyer where lots of integration is required between trades do they not provide options to do a fit out for you...i.e.

bathroom type a, b, c, d etc
kitchen type a, b, c, d etc

In some of the Townhouse projects that I visited they offered their workers to do the fit out,but at some projects more work was needed, like at one place, they said you had to cement the floor yourself,in others they would have the cheapest radiators installed.
Also, when you use the workers of the people that build the houses, you could be waiting for them to finish another house..

Alan65
27-02-2013, 23:58
Thank you so much all of you: Alan65 and Judge.

Yes my partner is Russian but we are not really together so that is why I have so little money. I doubt he would help very much.

I shall try the ideas you suggested. But.... if anyone comes across a very small place in need of renovation near a railway station to the West of Moscow and no more than 25km from red square and no more than 78K please do let me know!!!!! :)

Best

Allison

Rule number 1 of buying property:

Never tell the f()ckers how much money you have

Rule number 2

Never tell them your desired location

Rule number 3

Tell them what you are being offered is a pile of sh1t....even isf it is exactly what you want

It is your money, you worked hard for it make these f()ckers work hard for your money, do not be afraid to tell them that....cash is king, most companies go down through lack of cash flow, 70 on the nose is a big one to any company, they know that, play them girl.

I wish you all the best and dont take any bollocks.

Alan65
28-02-2013, 00:03
In some of the Townhouse projects that I visited they offered their workers to do the fit out,but at some projects more work was needed, like at one place, they said you had to cement the floor yourself,in others they would have the cheapest radiators installed.
Also, when you use the workers of the people that build the houses, you could be waiting for them to finish another house..

I now realise why I get approached from companies to do fit out works rather than turnkey which is what I do ....i.e. from soup to nuts, it creates a messy environment and the end user does not have a single point of contact if anything goes wrong.

allison
28-02-2013, 03:04
Thanks again both of you.
Are any of the townhouse projects within my budget? And are they a good idea. I slightly feel that i would prefer a village next to a railway line. And not too far from Moscow.
Thanks again
A

Ian G
28-02-2013, 12:46
Are any of the townhouse projects within my budget? And are they a good idea. I slightly feel that i would prefer a village next to a railway line. And not too far from Moscow.
Thanks again
A

Allison- as I see it there are a number of different kinds of house: the word "dacha" is just a word from a house where you don't normally live during the working week, and covers everything from a tumbledown wooden house without plumbing gas or electricity, to a brick house where you can live all year round.

You really need to decide on the following questions:

Brick or wood?

A postal address and the possibility of getting registered? If you are registered in a flat in Moscow this is probably not an issue. In fact, as a foreigner working in Mosocw, you probably need Moscow registration. In which case you have a lot more options, as lots of dachas do not have an addres at which you can be registered.

Connection to the water mains and sewage system?- if the well water is healthy and the house is not on a hill there should be enough water in the well to plumb in a bathroom and kitchen. If you are going to live there most of the time the well may need to be deeper- i.e. an artesian well.

If no connection to water mains, you'll probably have a septic tank.

Connection to electricity? This is probably essential.

Connection to Gas? Nice if you are going to live there in the winter.

A stove? they eat up a lot of firewood.

Telephone and Internet- your best bet is mobile solutions, otherwise your choice is limited to expensive options.

How much land? 600 square metres is standard. If you're not going to be a full time gardener or маньячный дачник this will probably be as much as you can handle.

How close to the nearest railway station?

How close to Moscow and in what direction?

How much time will you want to spend there?- if you are going to be growing stuff this is a big commitment, especially if you are going to be growing tomatoes etc under plastic/ gl**** as these things need watering mid-week.

Basically- your answers to these questions will help you decide what kind of house you want.

Many people build up very nice dachas with much less money than you have available, but over a number of years, and often using a piece of inherited land. It's a long-term project, involving all the generations of their family, including unwilling teenagers who'd rather spend weekends in the city with their ipads. Or they buy the land and build the house when they can afford it, and improve it over the years.

Buying ready made is a much more expensive option. Basically- whatever type of house you want, you can probably afford it- the main variable being the distance from Moscow. Go far enough out and you can get a very nice place for your budget.

Alan65
28-02-2013, 13:44
In hydrocabon Russia I will probably be deemed a heretic for saying this but it is a conversation I had with some friends in St P who are building a dacha and got blank stares from them but what are the options in Russia for:

Ground source heat pumps
Solar etc
In general any type of remewables
I would expect that these type of solutions could go quite wel with Dacha that are out of the way etc

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generating-energy/Choosing-a-renewable-technology/Ground-source-heat-pumps

Ian G
28-02-2013, 14:13
Ha ha, sadly the only type of solar heating most dacha owners are familiar with is putting a big black tank of water on top of a frame in the garden so that they can have warm water showers in the Summer.

Judge
28-02-2013, 14:35
Allison,the name of the magazine you need to buy is Недвижимость и цены(Property and prices)

Alan65
28-02-2013, 14:41
Ha ha, sadly the only type of solar heating most dacha owners are familiar with is putting a big black tank of water on top of a frame in the garden so that they can have warm water showers in the Summer.

I knew that would be foolish talk ....you can burn me at the stake now!

mrzuzzo
28-02-2013, 14:43

Well solar is not only used for heating, it can also be used for cooling. Unfortunately the technology is way too expensive to be placed on a dacha.

allison
01-03-2013, 01:54
Thank you very much.

Ian G. I am not officially registered at an address in Moscow - its a long story to do with breaking up with my (ex) Russian partner.

I want to live in the 'dacha' all year. So I do want gas sewage electricity.

I would be happy with a very small place to improve and enlarge later.

I am not bothered about growing anything.

I want to be near a railway station - I do not want a car.

I would prefer West of Moscow but as close as I can possibly afford???20km from red square??

Prefer brick or block but wood may be ok

I was worried by you saying that lots of dachas do not have addresses at which i can be registered. what does this mean???

You say I should be able to find somewhere within my budget. How about with the above criteria?? I do have friends who are very good at DIY.

Thanks so very much

Allison

yakspeare
01-03-2013, 02:00
Why a dacha near Moscow though?In Krasnodar, which has infinitely better weather and has the ski slopes and black sea at your door, you can get a monster size dacha perhaps with mountain views for that money in very good conditon.

mrzuzzo
01-03-2013, 11:53
Yak, technically allison isn't looking for a dacha but rather a house. A place with an address that she can be registered to and live in all year round.

The house I live in is 22km from the Red Square, the price (to buy) is roughly $800 000, and it's rather small for a house (3 rooms). So you can forget about 20km from the Red Square with a budget like that.

yakspeare
01-03-2013, 12:30
yeah that was what i am talking about too. just not near Moscow. I mean she might have a particular reason for being in Moscow and fair enough but just to give you an idea of what is out there...a year ago my friends were selling their so called dacha because it was too big. 5 rooms. sitting on an island in the volga river on nearly an acre of land, 10 minute ferry ride from volgograd for 250000 roubles. village homes less than 1 hour from Krasnodar sell for 500000 roubles. for 3 million roubles you can get some acerage with a quality house on it, in the mountains or with mountain views. less than an hour from the black sea. So unless the need to be in Moscow is pressing, the buying is infinitely better elsewhere for her budget.

bydand
01-03-2013, 12:35
I was about to edit my post and mention you, since you are living the dacha dream now....btw how's that going? survived your first Russian winter...:D

If that's the system then it's a good one, less hassle, no need to call and pay people in..

Yes we have survived the winter (so far), and stronger for it; what with shoveling all the snow! We are down by the river and have a septic tank or cistern that needs to be pumped out on occasion. We checked with the city and can buy our own pump (not too expensive), and hook into the city sewer system about 100 meters uphill towards the school. The one and a half meter deep trench for 100 meters would be expensive, even with cheap labor, but we'll probably do it.

Picture with new siding (and snow).

Ian G
01-03-2013, 19:45
Thank you very much.

Ian G. I am not officially registered at an address in Moscow - its a long story to do with breaking up with my (ex) Russian partner.

I want to live in the 'dacha' all year. So I do want gas sewage electricity.

I would be happy with a very small place to improve and enlarge later.

I am not bothered about growing anything.

I want to be near a railway station - I do not want a car.

I would prefer West of Moscow but as close as I can possibly afford???20km from red square??

Prefer brick or block but wood may be ok

I was worried by you saying that lots of dachas do not have addresses at which i can be registered. what does this mean???

You say I should be able to find somewhere within my budget. How about with the above criteria?? I do have friends who are very good at DIY.

Thanks so very much

Allison

Allison- the thing about registration depends on where the dacha is built. If it is built in a town or village it has a postal address, and you can be registered there. If it's built on a dacha plot, you can't be registered there.

I think what you are looking for is a townhouse or "загородный дом", "коттедж" with proper infrastructure. I suspect they would be beyond your budget, as the West is the most expensive direction, and 20 km from Red Square is not far from Moscow - only a few km outside the ring road. That's why I suggested you might have to look further afield.

To tell the truth, however, I only know about dachas, as that is what we have. (70 km from Moscow, wooden, water from the well, no gas, and as it's a dacha community - or former collective farm - rather than a village you can't be registered there.)

Good luck with your search!

Judge
01-03-2013, 22:35
Allison, the best land category you can get is called ижс(village) on this land you can build whatever you want(in reason:cool:), register yourself and others .When you get a lawyer to check the place you're buying, they should know all about this ижс (индивидуальное жилищное строительство).

Judge
01-03-2013, 22:39
Yes we have survived the winter (so far), and stronger for it; what with shoveling all the snow! We are down by the river and have a septic tank or cistern that needs to be pumped out on occasion. We checked with the city and can buy our own pump (not too expensive), and hook into the city sewer system about 100 meters uphill towards the school. The one and a half meter deep trench for 100 meters would be expensive, even with cheap labor, but we'll probably do it.

Picture with new siding (and snow).

Nice going,like they say, it's a never ending story with a house here,always something to do...I had a trench dug for the water pipe to be led to my house, 1 metre deep about 90metres long, paid 9000, 2 guys, 2 days work..

tonytony
01-03-2013, 23:05
Thanks again
A

I don't know if you've had a look at cian, but this will give an idea of the sort of thing available:-

http://www.cian.ru/showphoto.php?id_suburbian=1863941

http://www.cian.ru/showphoto.php?id_suburbian=1872541

http://www.cian.ru/showphoto.php?id_suburbian=1587957

http://www.cian.ru/showphoto.php?id_suburbian=1842988

http://www.cian.ru/showphoto.php?id_suburbian=1845102

allison
03-03-2013, 14:15
Thanks again all of you: Judge, yakspeare, mrzuzzo, bydand, Ian G, tonytony.
Again very helpful information.
It has to be in or near Moscow for a couple of reasons: near to the father, near to cheapish flights back to the UK.
Yes it must be a place I can live in all year around. So probably I was wrong to call it a Dacha.
Love your place bydand!
Yes Ian G I suspect I do want "is a townhouse or "загородный дом", "коттедж" with proper infrastructure"
tonytony thanks for those links. I was interested that one place said 'shared ownership'. Does this mean that you live together? Or does it mean 'semi detached' as in Britain? Maybe I could look around for a semi detached place if they are cheaper. O particularly liked:
http://www.cian.ru/showphoto.php?id_suburbian=1863941
Is this a very nice part of Moscow??

Thanks again everyone, I feel as though I am getting closer.

How long does the buying process take in Russia? Can it be done in less than 2 months?

All the best

Allison