PDA

View Full Version : Research in psycholinguistics

Glenara
22-02-2013, 22:42
Hi all,

I'm doing academic research in psycholinguistics and going to carry out some language experiments. I'm wondering if somebody is willing to take part? :) I just have to find out how native speakers perceive some phrases / words...
Please PM if interested.

ezik
23-02-2013, 02:33
Which languages are you researching and what qualifications should any participant have?

robertmf
23-02-2013, 03:05
Which languages are you researching and what qualifications should any participant have?

It's in English. 7 pages .pdf file.

It looks to be word-association (first word that pops into head), but I am a little confused at the format, and so have asked her for a sample answer for what she expects.

I thought it would be via skype. Maybe more tomorrow.

robertmf
23-02-2013, 04:47
It's in English. 7 pages .pdf file.

It looks to be word-association (first word that pops into head), but I am a little confused at the format, and so have asked her for a sample answer for what she expects.

I thought it would be via skype. Maybe more tomorrow.

2 sections, each with 16 question & answer blocks.

emmallikespurple
23-02-2013, 15:25
Hello Glenara,

I'd be interested in participating if you could let me know some more about this project.

Emma

Glenara
24-02-2013, 01:12
As Robertmf has already explained it's a list of phrases / sentences that are supposed to evoke some associations or feelings, like the ones we get from poetry when we hear or read repeated letters / sounds.

The research is mainly into sound symbolism of English that's why I need feedback from native speakers of English.
The respondent is given a list of adjectives (smooth-rough, heavy-light, etc.) to describe the reaction to the phrase. You can choose as many qualities as you like.

If you have a different idea, not mentioned on the list of adjectives, you can state your free association, e.g. the first idea, word, or image that comes to mind when you read the given triggers, but you don't have to do it, unless you want to.

The second part is the reverse test. You are given a list of objects and ideas to describe with the same adjectives and again free associations if you have any.

No special qualifications are needed to do this test, the only important thing is English mother tongue.

Don't be put off by the length of the file. It's mainly due to the repeated adjectives that make the list longer :)

I'd like to say thank you to everybody taking part in this experiment. The more answers I get, the better. :)

Glenara
24-02-2013, 01:16
I'm researching English, that's why I'm asking native speakers of English to take part in this experiment.

No special qualifications are neccesary. The only things I need to know about you are gender, age, eduction.