PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting US visa for my girlfriend

fljoe
15-11-2007, 14:46
Hello I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice on this. Im engaged to a girl from Saint Petersburg she is currently there. We met 3 years ago in barbados and have been together ever since. I have been there several times for long periods of time and we have met back up in barbados.

We are looking to get her a tourist visa to come visit in florida and meet my family for the holidays.

She is dreadful of going to the consulate. She has been to the US b4 for business training about 5 years ago. about 2 years ago she applied for a student visa to get her mba over here she was allready accepted to a school and had an invite letter from the Governor of RI. She was declined the visa and was apparently given a hard time and made to feel very uncomfortable. So now she has a bad taste for the process.

I think we should say we are engaged on her application and in my invite letter mention it and that we are wishing for her to meet my family now that we are engaged. I had also planned on including copys of my visas and stamps showing we have been in regular physical contact.

She feels it would be bad idea as "they dont want any more Russians marrying Americans", her words.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advanced...

fco1922
22-11-2007, 09:01
You can always apply for a fiancee visa. This will give you permission to enter the US with the stipulation that you get married within a specific period of time.

On the other hand, there is no policy of discouraging marriages to Russians; it is just a case where ICE is very suspicious. A friend of mine had his fiancee denied tourist visas twice. However, the moment they were married, she was granted an immigrant visa.

It will be easier if you fiancee has a permanent job, owns her own flat and is self sufficient. Given any thought to marrying soon(er)? This makes matters much easier.

jeffs
28-11-2007, 01:12
I would agree that a fiancee visa is the way to go. Writing that you are engaged in the letter may actually hurt her for a tourist visa. She needs to show that she has strong ties (a significant income, property ownership, etc) to prove that she does not intent it imigrate. It kinda makes sense if she is your fiancee to get a fiancee visa right?

fljoe
28-11-2007, 01:38
Thank you for the replies.

We wanted to save the finacee visa for when we know a date and things like that, for when she would come over on a more permant basis. Im still going to school here in the US and she has started a new business in st pete. So we are tied up for a little while.

So the thought on the tourist was just as that her come over do the florida things meet the family then go home.

She is just so turned off by the proccess she dosent want to talk about it.

so then it might be best to have my sister send a letter as old friends from when she was last in the US? and not even metion me?

Halyavshik
28-11-2007, 08:03
The most important thing is being able to prove you will return. And, if they think she's going over to get married, they'll DEFINITELY not give her a tourist visa.

Proving you're not going to stay there for a tourist visa is relatively easy if you read their website (U.S.Embassy Moscow, Russia (http://www.usembassy.ru)). I know several non-married Russian girls who've had no problem getting a tourist visa, including my own girlfriend. You should try to gather as many of the following documents as possible:

1. Proof of ownership of real-estate
2. Company confirmation of stable and high salary
3. Letter from yourself explaining your status
4. Old Passports with proof of travel to other European countries

This is what the consulate is mostly interested in. And, making sure you get the right visa. So, my advice is to NOT say you're engaged (or they might think she's trying to get in without doing a Fiancee Visa) and provide as much proof as possible that she will return home to Russia after the holidays. Before anyone says the above is malarky, the US embassy here displays the acceptance rate, and last time I checked it was above 75%.

Regards,
Hal

Chris Parker
02-12-2007, 22:10
On the other hand, there is no policy of discouraging marriages to Russians; it is just a case where ICE is very suspicious. A friend of mine had his fiancee denied tourist visas twice. However, the moment they were married, she was granted an immigrant visa.
You can still get the fiancee visa if you've been denied the tourist visa under INA 214(b). This, in fact, is what we had to do; decide that we will have to get married because there was no other way they were going to let her come to USA.

Just don't try to get the tourist visa saying you intend to marry, of course. Once you two have made that decision, you must get the fiancee visa, and that process will take months to get an interview and its timing is rarely convenient for the parties.

Bels
02-12-2007, 22:44
Hello I was wondering if some of you could give me some advice on this. Im engaged to a girl from Saint Petersburg she is currently there. We met 3 years ago in barbados and have been together ever since. I have been there several times for long periods of time and we have met back up in barbados.

We are looking to get her a tourist visa to come visit in florida and meet my family for the holidays.

She is dreadful of going to the consulate. She has been to the US b4 for business training about 5 years ago. about 2 years ago she applied for a student visa to get her mba over here she was allready accepted to a school and had an invite letter from the Governor of RI. She was declined the visa and was apparently given a hard time and made to feel very uncomfortable. So now she has a bad taste for the process.

I think we should say we are engaged on her application and in my invite letter mention it and that we are wishing for her to meet my family now that we are engaged. I had also planned on including copys of my visas and stamps showing we have been in regular physical contact.

She feels it would be bad idea as "they dont want any more Russians marrying Americans", her words.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advanced...ficu

This is a difficult question. First of all I'm Brit and it could be very simple. The same as went through my girl friend now wife.

I think America is much more complicated than Britain, as well you know the internet is flooded by Americans with Russian girl-friends and Americans.

But on this site I suggest we try to be simplistic, put it in a nutshell so to speak. Because we know the the americans like to say Blah! Blah and it's so complicated and go nowhere.

Now from my now wifes statements of entrance to Britain is, if she has an interview and they ask if you have a male friend in Britain, say No I don't, my purpse is here for tourist or business reasons. I'm afraid that's the way it is.
Both countries UK and America are suspicious of such matters and do ask such stupid and personal questions. Just say no!

But if you are after a spouse or fiace visa, that's different. Easier and more efficient than the Russian system. I can assure you of that.

To put it in a nutshell. go to America for business or tourist purposes, and keep your mouth shut about boy-friends you know. Just get through this stupid system.

Bels
02-12-2007, 22:52
Of course your girl friend must have a hotel address if going for business or tourist visa. Not the fiance or boy friends address, that will cause complications. And if staying with boy-friend sort out matters with registration at the hotel first. I don't know if USA is the same, but my guess it's the same as Britain.

Chris Parker
03-12-2007, 20:59
Of course your girl friend must have a hotel address if going for business or tourist visa. Not the fiance or boy friends address, that will cause complications. And if staying with boy-friend sort out matters with registration at the hotel first. I don't know if USA is the same, but my guess it's the same as Britain.
Best way to try to get U.S.A. B-2 tourist visa along those lines would be to be booked on some travel agency's sponsored tour group or at least going to a well-known touristic location.

fljoe
04-12-2007, 04:12
I live in Orlando Florida cant get more touristy than that

Longhorn
04-12-2007, 04:13
There are several issues here for you to consider, the first being why she was rejected for her student visa? Depending on the reason given for the rejection, or rather the section of the INS code under which it was given, your fiancee may not be eligible to obtain another visa to the US, save for certain exceptions (e.g., waiver of the restriction).

If your girlfriend applies for a tourist visa, this (tourism) must be the reason for her visit under USCIS regulations. If she makes it seem like the purpose of the trip is not tourism but rather to visit with you and still applies for a tourist visa, she could risk being both rejected and rejected such that she will be ineligible to obtain another visa to the US (save for certain exceptions). On the other hand, she should not lie to the consular officer either, as this also may be grounds for rejection and future inadmissibility.

Younger, single Russians without ties (e.g., immediate family, money in the bank, property, etc.) realistically face a more onerous approval than do those in opposite situations.

andymakesglasses
04-12-2007, 11:50
2. Company confirmation of stable and high salary

is there a standard-ish format of letter for employers to confirm salary and job details? and does anyone know what extra info should be included in the letter when applying for a UK visa?

company name
address
phone number
e-mail address
position
time in position
responsibilities?

thanks!

fco1922
20-12-2007, 13:16
There is no prescribed format. However, it is best if the letter states clearly that (1) the position is permanent; (2) that your girlfriend has a 'responsible' position and has held it for some time; and (3) that they have granted her leave for xx days so she can go on holiday to the USA. As for salary, that isn't a major issue since the Embassies know what people make (and that people lie).

It also helps if she has close family in Russia and owns property.

I've had plenty of friends get visas, the issue in your case is the reason for the original denial. There shouldn't be any problems if it was a case of incomplete or insufficient documentation...

Bels
20-12-2007, 19:52
There are several issues here for you to consider, the first being why she was rejected for her student visa? Depending on the reason given for the rejection, or rather the section of the INS code under which it was given, your fiancee may not be eligible to obtain another visa to the US, save for certain exceptions (e.g., waiver of the restriction).

If your girlfriend applies for a tourist visa, this (tourism) must be the reason for her visit under USCIS regulations. If she makes it seem like the purpose of the trip is not tourism but rather to visit with you and still applies for a tourist visa, she could risk being both rejected and rejected such that she will be ineligible to obtain another visa to the US (save for certain exceptions). On the other hand, she should not lie to the consular officer either, as this also may be grounds for rejection and future inadmissibility.

Younger, single Russians without ties (e.g., immediate family, money in the bank, property, etc.) realistically face a more onerous approval than do those in opposite situations.

I'm afraid the same applies in Britain, your honesty and sense of purpose is important when you apply. As a tourist you can say nothing about boyfriends etc. But you will need to at least book in to a hotel or rent a short term holiday property. I don't know if this will work, but how about booking a few days in a hotel and then say you will continue with a travelling tour in the USA or Britain. In this case it's none of their business whether you have a boyfriend or not.

dick
21-12-2007, 09:52
I've found the ones that lie the most get the visa.

If she doesn't have a fiancee visa she can not get married in the U.S.

It would be best to find the richest person you know to give a letter of invitation.

And remember this if you don't marry her in the U.S. it can take up to 2 years to get a wife back home and they DO NOT have to let her into the U.S just because your married. They can drag this out for years even if you were married in the U.S.

It would also be best for her to get a new passport because her old one will have REJECTED stamp in it on or near the last page.

The people there are stupid and lazy, that's the first thing they will look for.