PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a funny accent?

Jas
28-01-2013, 17:14
Some of u guys are from all over, and some of those places have 'funny' accents.
So how do u sound? Are u speaking the Queen's English, or is it another?
Just to get us started... here's a tutorial on the hilarious Indian accent. This is meant to be for humor by the way- so have fun!

Er, do u think this personage cud make it as an EFL instructor in Moscow?

How to Speak with an Indian Accent/ Indian Stereotypes - YouTube

rubyrussia
28-01-2013, 17:43
I have an idea! Let‘s upload a minute long mp3 of ourselves speaking English and then Russian about a random topic. That might be entertaining! :)

FatAndy
28-01-2013, 17:58
Do you have a funny accent?

Yes, I do (C).

nobunny
28-01-2013, 18:02
Funny accint me bollicks. i speak whopper Inglish

harrycallaghan
28-01-2013, 18:04
Finally a thread with a point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOt8eOPr4k

natlee
28-01-2013, 18:12
They say I do.. (have a funny accent)

Alan65
28-01-2013, 18:20
Mix this

Al Murray vs. Americans - YouTube

with this

Jason Statham Interview on New Film 'Parker' - YouTube

Jfson Statham, not the interviewer

Jas
28-01-2013, 18:52
I love the Russian accent by the way guys. I don't love some other accents though.... like Scotland for example cos no one can make head to tails of it even. I don't like people who talk very fast also.

What would Russian students prefer, a girl of immigrant heritage who has a lovely, clear UK accent (honestly I do),or someone who is indigenous British but whose accent can't be undesrtood outside of they're tiny little enclave in Wales or some pit village or something? Serious question!

Jas
28-01-2013, 18:57
Er, no I'm not being racist to Indians... to answer that particular pm. Why wud I be? What is it with that head wobbling thing though? It goes like this:
Question: "Shall we eat at home or in a hotel this evening?"
Answer: Head wobble.

Wtf?

RichardB
28-01-2013, 19:27
Er, no I'm not being racist to Indians... to answer that particular pm. Why wud I be? What is it with that head wobbling thing though? It goes like this:
Question: "Shall we eat at home or in a hotel?"
Answer: Head wobble.

Wtf?

So you're calling Indians weird because some of them 'wobble' their heads when they speak?

And to classify all Scots as unintelligible is just stupid. Edinburgh is the most English of the Scottish cities. Glaswegians have a strong west coast accent and Aberdonians can be difficult to understand.

Jas
28-01-2013, 19:30
So you're calling Indians weird because some of them 'wobble' their heads when they speak?

And to classify all Scots as unintelligible is just stupid. Edinburgh is the most English of the Scottish cities. Glaswegians have a strong west coast accent and Aberdonians can be difficult to understand.

Er, the country's only got those two too cities...... sort of proves me point.
Tehe.

Alan65
28-01-2013, 19:34

Have you read Para Handy?

Jas
28-01-2013, 19:38
Have you read Para Handy?

I can't understand them or the Irish also. Wales is a bit better. Sort of.
Dunno how students wud cope.

Jas
28-01-2013, 19:45
One of me favorite actors is Kevin Mckidd- who is Scottish. Tralaah . He's Lucius Vorenus in Rome, a true tough guy. He only comes undone cos of his lousy attitude to women.
Only

he doesn't have the accent. This is action upfront with the armies of Rome. This is how I get all me ideas and stuff for new stories, tales and novels.

Caesar! Caesar! Caesar! - YouTube

Alan65
28-01-2013, 19:48
I can't understand them or the Irish also. Wales is a bit better. Sort of.
Dunno how students wud cope.

Perhaps that says more about you.

In my office there are:

English (from most major cities)
Irish
Welsh
Scots
Polish
Lithuainians
Latvians
Hungarians
Bulgarians
Pakistanis
Indians
Sri Lankans
Chinese
Nigerians
Zimbaweans
South Africans
Australians
West Indians
Brazilians
and that is just one department.

I can understand them all.

RichardB
28-01-2013, 19:49
Er, the country's only got those two too cities...... sort of proves me point.
Tehe.

Ermm, no it doesn't...

Try Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth etc.

Talk about showing ignorance from someone who comes from the UK

Jas
28-01-2013, 19:55
Ermm, no it doesn't...

Try Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth etc.

Talk about showing ignorance from someone who comes from the UK

Er, they're not even cities- just towns and villages.

RichardB
28-01-2013, 19:57
Er, they're not even cities- just towns and villages.

All you're continuing to do Jas is continuing to show your ignorance of other nations and races.

A racist and a xenophobic.

Jas
28-01-2013, 20:09
All you're continuing to do Jas is continuing to show your ignorance of other nations and races.

A racist and a xenophobic.

Er, so cos I told Perth isn't exactly what most people wud call a city, that makes me a xenophobic and a racist even? Hilarious.

RichardB
28-01-2013, 20:29
Er, so cos I told Perth isn't exactly what most people wud call a city.

So what is your definition of a city then?

Jas
28-01-2013, 20:31
Perhaps that says more about you.

Er, yeah it says I'm British and I can't understand some people.

LadyShirley
28-01-2013, 20:31
Ur post really gives me good laugh mate:)
yeah i know lots of ppl r after the 'posh accent'.
as i'm multilingual, frds say mine is in between Aussie/ London accent.
:)

yakspeare
28-01-2013, 20:32
Er, so cos I told Perth isn't exactly what most people wud call a city, that makes me a xenophobic and a racist even? Hilarious.

I told Perth?

Personage?

I certainly could understand if a Scot didn't understand you..

Jas
28-01-2013, 20:33
I told Perth?

Personage?

I certainly could understand if a Scot didn't understand you..

I dunno if they're listening skills are as screwed as they're speaking skills.

Jas
28-01-2013, 20:34
So what is your definition of a city then?

Bradford at least.

RichardB
28-01-2013, 20:37
Bradford at least.

That's not a definition, that's a name.

Jas
28-01-2013, 20:47
That's not a definition, that's a name.

Oh dear. Let's say 400,000 at least if ure not sure. I doubt Perth has anything like that so it's a town. Does it even have 50,000 people? That makes it a town- not a city- ask anyone.

RichardB
28-01-2013, 21:11
What is a city?

The Cambridge English Dictionary defines 'city' as 'a large town' or 'any town in the UK which has a cathedral'. This is the common meaning of the word throughout the world, and in most countries the size of a town is the deciding factor over whether it has city status. Large towns are automatically considered cities. This is perfectly logical and sensible, however this is not the case in the UK.

Despite having a parliamentary democracy, many decisions within the UK are not open to the public, but instead controlled by the monarchy or parts of the British government which answer to the monarchy, irrespective of which political party is in office. The decision to grant a town city status is one such decision. Hence in the UK city status is not granted automatically just because a town becomes very large, or because of a cathedral. A town must be granted city status by the British monarch.

According to the part of the British government known as the Department for Constitutional Affairs:

"City status is a rare mark of distinction granted by the Sovereign and conferred by Letters Patent. It is granted by personal Command of The Queen, on the advice of Her Ministers. It is for Her Majesty The Queen to decide when a competition for city status should be held. Competitions are usually held on occasions such as important Royal anniversaries."

Because of this peculiarity there is a discrepancy between the common meaning of the word 'city' and the 'official' meaning.

Jas
28-01-2013, 21:17
What is a city?

The Cambridge English Dictionary defines 'city' as 'a large town' or 'any town in the UK which has a cathedral'. This is the common meaning of the word throughout the world, and in most countries the size of a town is the deciding factor over whether it has city status. Large towns are automatically considered cities. This is perfectly logical and sensible, however this is not the case in the UK.

Despite having a parliamentary democracy, many decisions within the UK are not open to the public, but instead controlled by the monarchy or parts of the British government which answer to the monarchy, irrespective of which political party is in office. The decision to grant a town city status is one such decision. Hence in the UK city status is not granted automatically just because a town becomes very large, or because of a cathedral. A town must be granted city status by the British monarch.

According to the part of the British government known as the Department for Constitutional Affairs:

"City status is a rare mark of distinction granted by the Sovereign and conferred by Letters Patent. It is granted by personal Command of The Queen, on the advice of Her Ministers. It is for Her Majesty The Queen to decide when a competition for city status should be held. Competitions are usually held on occasions such as important Royal anniversaries."

Because of this peculiarity there is a discrepancy between the common meaning of the word 'city' and the 'official' meaning.

C, I'm right. Perth is a town. Try telling someone from the US or London that a place with just a few thousand people is a city and they will just laugh.

Jas
28-01-2013, 21:19
But all of this nonsense is off topic anyhow. The question is- do u have a funny accent?

RichardB
28-01-2013, 21:23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth,_Scotland

Jas
28-01-2013, 21:25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth,_Scotland

Pop is 43,450. Like I told, it's a town. Dunno why u don't get it....
Can we talk about our accents now?

RichardB
28-01-2013, 21:33
Why can't you just admit that you are wrong?

That your definition of what constitutes a city is wrong?

Go on Jas... Say it. Say "I was wrong". For once in your life admit you are wrong instead of persisting with your point of view.

Jas
28-01-2013, 21:39
Why can't you just admit that you are wrong?

That your definition of what constitutes a city is wrong?

Go on Jas... Say it. Say "I was wrong". For once in your life admit you are wrong instead of persisting with your point of view.

Er, the link proves I'm totally right. U want to have cities of just 40,000 people? Sorry. They're actually called towns. Now I want to focus on accents thanks.
I don't mind u posting sort of, but u must remain on topic. Just sayin'.

PS: This thread got nothing even to do with cities and stuff- it's about accents.

RichardB
28-01-2013, 21:44
I don't mind u posting sort of, but u must remain on topic. Just sayin'.

That's very magnanimous of you.

Geordie and Irish accents are lovely. North west Scottish accents are nice.

"Essex" accents are awful.

Jas
28-01-2013, 21:45
That's very magnanimous of you.

Geordie and Irish accents are lovely. North west Scottish accents are nice.

"Essex" accents are awful.

C, how nice I am to u and stuff. I shall pat u on the head and feed u a saucer of milk. Can I just ask u, if u hate me so much...... why do u keep commenting on me blog posts then?

Jas
28-01-2013, 22:19
Mmm, I think I got accent number 2. This is pretty amazing!

Now which one of the 21 accents that Amy does is actually her own? Can u guess?

21 Accents - YouTube

Potty
28-01-2013, 22:22
Jas, this woman scares me))))

Jas
28-01-2013, 22:26
Jas, this woman scares me))))

Really? Why? I think she's cool. She does the Russian accent good also. Pity she missed the Dutch accent. Ezik, whose accent is to die for, cud have told us if she pulled it off ok.

Potty
28-01-2013, 22:28
She does the Russian accent good also.

If I ever speak with such Russian accent please kill me)))

Jas
28-01-2013, 22:51
Amy does the Russian accent. What do u think guys?

Russian Accent Tip of the Day - Amy Walker - YouTube

Potty
28-01-2013, 22:56
I have a friend who speaks exactly like that)

natlee
28-01-2013, 23:02
If I ever speak with such Russian accent please kill me))) :D :D :D

robertmf
29-01-2013, 01:40
:D :D :D

The Russian accent could use more "Dracula".

Potty
29-01-2013, 01:45
The Russian accent could use more "Dracula".

Еxactly! This Amy Walker looks like Dracula !

Jack17
29-01-2013, 01:55
This Amy is good.

BabyFirefly
29-01-2013, 02:13
I was raised in NC sooo sometimes I have this kind of weird Southern US twang going on. It's strange.

My Spanish is horrible, fast, sprinkled-with-English-and-Yoruba Spanish. I've met people who studied in Spain for years who cannot understand me. The Russians I've met who knew Spanish Spanish, I had to slow down and "better" my accent for them.

I'd love/hate to hear how much of an accent I have in Russian. Everyone (who speaks the language) tells me I have very little, but still.

sashadidi
29-01-2013, 09:32
I will enter in the spirit. As a kiwi here is a "sample " of how our present Prime Minister speaks.
John Key's New Zealand Prunciation Guide - YouTube

and second how a native New Zealander has a "slightly" different accent. The accent in this video is slightly exaggerated
Billy T. James - Te News 1 - YouTube

I will let you guess how I speak and guess how my russian accent would sound!!!

nobunny
01-03-2013, 18:41
Finally a thread with a point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOt8eOPr4k

That. Is ****in hilarious