PDA

View Full Version : Tormented by English

robertmf
23-01-2013, 18:00
Nationalist rabble-rouser Vladimir Zhirinovsky said his Liberal Democratic Party is preparing legislation that would ban the use of English and other foreign words that have Russian equivalents.

:cussing: "All across town there's 'sale,' 'sale,' 'sale.' Soon they'll even force us to use English pronunciation," the Liberal Democratic leader said.

The legislation would include a list of 100 English words, he said. If Russians were to use those words, they would face fines or even dismissal from their jobs.

-- MT article (http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/zhirinovsky-wants-to-ban-english-words/474386.html)

Russian Lad
23-01-2013, 19:18
He needs to have his head examined. :10220:

Alan65
23-01-2013, 19:28
Nationalist rabble-rouser Vladimir Zhirinovsky said his Liberal Democratic Party is preparing legislation that would ban the use of English and other foreign words that have Russian equivalents.

:cussing: "All across town there's 'sale,' 'sale,' 'sale.' Soon they'll even force us to use English pronunciation," the Liberal Democratic leader said.

The legislation would include a list of 100 English words, he said. If Russians were to use those words, they would face fines or even dismissal from their jobs.

-- MT article (http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/zhirinovsky-wants-to-ban-english-words/474386.html)

Why not go the whole way, don't just ban words with Russian equivalents, ban ALL foreign words replacing them solely with Russian words....it would be fun to watch.

Jack17
23-01-2013, 20:06
He must have gotten this idea from the French.

yakspeare
23-01-2013, 20:13
on the surface it does look a bit silly but when I lived in Krasnodar I used to play a little game of counting the amount of signage in English. Apart from "Sale , sale" etc the names of about every third shop were in English and really itis all a bit too much. It is totally overdone.

I recall a few years ago when cars, houses and many other things were priced in US dollars. That disappeared with legislation to no ill effect.

I am not sure that enforcing a ban is the way to go-but i think there are more signs in English than signs in English in some suburbs of western countries!

robertmf
23-01-2013, 20:30
... I am not sure that enforcing a ban is the way to go-but i think there are more signs in English than signs in English in some suburbs of western countries!

My local bank ATM has a RU option. Not Spanish, mind you, Russian.

Alan65
23-01-2013, 23:01
He must have gotten this idea from the French.

or the Chinese in Hong Kong. Post handover they went all nationalistic and dropped English altogether, by 2000 international trade was down as there were not many countries in the world that spoke Mandarin.

Does anyone have the fella email i think there are many more word he can suggest dropping, here is a starter for 10

Electricity (Eng)
Electronic (Eng)
Telephone (Eng)
Computer (Eng)
Centre (Eng)
Gazetta (Italian)
Machine (Eng)

Feel free to make up a Russian word like the "The electronic machine that you can read a newspaper on" .....it will not take long to have words that are longer that Greek or Sri Lankan.

Pass me the popcorn, I like a good comedy.

robertmf
24-01-2013, 00:06

And no more интернет. All the HTML gets broken, too :bong:

:groan:

Alan65
24-01-2013, 00:24
And no more интернет. All the HTML gets broken, too :bong:

:groan:

Unfortunately this is the sort of b0llocks many Russians like to hear, it the xenophobic mentality they have.

After the Olympics when Britain won more medals than Russia, I was winding Russian friends up saying that a nation of 145 m got beaten by a nation of 60 m .....the standard response...America, Britian and most European countries have black people who are not really from these countries.

I tried to point out that when Russia did well it was the USSR, where athletes from many countries "represented Russia" ...all i got told was "they were still Russian" .....pot kettle black..... rearrange

Uncle Pasha
24-01-2013, 20:22
Seen that in my previous life. Quebec banned English signs in late 80s. From what I recall it was perceived as a joke back then. I'd happily look at Mr. Zhirinovsky's proposal that way too if not the current prohibition frenzy on everything, from beer to adoptions to zero alcohol tolerance to ban on NGOs to draconian parking fines etc. etc. In itself replacing "sale" with "rasprodazha" is an innocent little thing although "rasprodazha" is not exactly the most elegant or expressive of Russian words, thus it's yielding its positions to "sale". But when these little restrictions add up to hundreds and there is no end in sight - it is zhopa and pizdets. No English equivalents I can think of.

prd
25-01-2013, 07:37
yes, the idea came from De Gaulle who foresaw that the invasion of foreign words meant invasion of power.There is no doubt that the English are still selling their frecking language everywhere ... the idiots even think that English is a very difficult language to learn....ah ah ah. (There will probably be some piss elegant pedant correcting my English).
No particular dig at the rosbifs, the French also had a go at sowing their cultural seeds everywhere to get ......the goods they stole from colonies in the form of 4 million angry muslims living there with identity crisis.
on a similar idea, I feel there should be an equivalent of Mac Donalds,Russian of course with good meat and good quality ....though i am a veggie, i would be glad to see it

Alan65
25-01-2013, 11:58
yes, the idea came from De Gaulle who foresaw that the invasion of foreign words meant invasion of power.There is no doubt that the English are still selling their frecking language everywhere ... the idiots even think that English is a very difficult language to learn....ah ah ah. (There will probably be some piss elegant pedant correcting my English).
No particular dig at the rosbifs, the French also had a go at sowing their cultural seeds everywhere to get ......the goods they stole from colonies in the form of 4 million angry muslims living there with identity crisis.
on a similar idea, I feel there should be an equivalent of Mac Donalds,Russian of course with good meat and good quality ....though i am a veggie, i would be glad to see it

People moaning about the English language writing in English ....oh the irony

FatAndy
25-01-2013, 15:25
My local bank ATM has a RU option. Not Spanish, mind you, Russian.
They're already prepared for our massive intervention. Very provident people... Do you use this menu option for training? ;) Do they charge ATMs with ruble notes already? :D

Feel free to make up a Russian word like the "The electronic machine that you can read a newspaper on" .....it will not take long to have words that are longer that Greek or Sri Lankan.

Электрочиталка ;)

annasophia
25-01-2013, 15:37
I'm a native English speaker and I'm tormented by English. Russians be damned, they can stand in line if they want to complain.

English is a b!tch. Senseless usage balderdash and unfitting grammar and spelling foolishness.

I'm giving up. Moving on to Spanish.

Damn you English!

robertmf
25-01-2013, 19:35
They're already prepared for our massive intervention. Very provident people... Do you use this menu option for training? ;) Do they charge ATMs with ruble notes already? :D

Электрочиталка ;)

When I saw the Russian option, I went inside the bank to ask about ATM skimmer (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/20661974/atm-skimmer-steals-bank-acct-info-problem-could-be-widespread) :9456:

:tgif: