PDA

View Full Version : anyone got a letter from -Ilya Fomin?-

Benedikt
10-01-2013, 07:15
seems to be the latest in the -Nigerian letters- now straight into the e mail, not even the spam folder anymore.....

Hello,

I apologize for reaching you quite late due to the situation of things right now. My family and I had a trip visits (Manila, Philippines ), all went well until on the last night, when we were attacked by unknown gunmen. All our money , phone and credit cards were stolen , including some valuable things , it was a horrible experience, but the good thing is, they do not hurt anyone , or stripped of our passports.

We reported the incident to the local authorities and consulates , but their reaction was too casually , we are asking to go back in time 2weeks for research should be made ​​adequate , but the truth is that we can not wait until then , as we have just received our return flight booked and leaves in few hours from now, but in present problems to understand our accounts here, and getting a taxi to the airport, now we are financially strapped due to unexpected attack looting, wondering if you can help us in quick loan to sort our bills and go home. All we need is ($ 1,650.00 USD ), or whatever you can afford it, I promise to refund you in full as soon as I get back , hopefully tomorrow or the next . write back now let me know what you can do . Thanks Ilya Fomin

Lost in moscow
10-01-2013, 08:06
ebums beggin:emote_popcorn:

candy888
10-01-2013, 09:50
i have received some email like this last year.only with different name and she was in Spain, asking for some help.

nice.

franzewich
10-01-2013, 10:11
I got a similar one last year supposedly from GB with a sender's name which was "borrowed" from the list of my facebook friends.

Strange, the privacy settings of my e-mail address in the FB are supposed to make it visible to my "friends" only. This gave me the creeps.

Benedikt
10-01-2013, 10:41
Strange, the privacy settings of my e-mail address in the FB are supposed to make it visible to my "friends" only. This gave me the creeps.[/QUOTE]

i have my e mail set rather strict for filtering out spam and rarely get anything that i do not want/ordered/ wrote or need.
but this is the first time such a -Nigerian letter- bypassed the spamfilter.

pompeygazza
10-01-2013, 12:41
I use Hotmail and their junk filter is rubbish. It still 'junks' a certain sender even though I've added them to my contacts and have replied to them several times. But then emails from senders who are quite obviously spammers get through.

I've now started to use the 'Sweep' feature to keep junk out. I can specify certain words, eg 'cash, loan, credit' in the subject line to be automatically deleted. So far it seems to be working well.

On the subject of the Nigerian scams, has anyone seen the 'astronaut' ones? These are apparently from friends of a Nigerian astronaut who is stuck on an old Soviet-era space station and needs money to fund a rocket to bring him back down! That's a classic.

Suuryaa
10-01-2013, 12:47
On the subject of the Nigerian scams, has anyone seen the 'astronaut' ones? These are apparently from friends of a Nigerian astronaut who is stuck on an old Soviet-era space station and needs money to fund a rocket to bring him back down! That's a classic.

Are you joking or not?

Benedikt
10-01-2013, 13:19
Are you joking or not?

maybe some people still think MIR is floating out there and not everyone knows it was brought back and plummeted back to earth a few years back.
news travel slowly...

http://www.securelist.com/en/threats/spam?chapter=93

and a little further down is the letter about the Sojuz space station...

pompeygazza
10-01-2013, 13:50
Are you joking or not?

No I'm serious. Google it and you'll see loads of links. He's now owed $15m dollars in backpay supposedly.

Suuryaa
10-01-2013, 16:41
No I'm serious. Google it and you'll see loads of links. He's now owed $15m dollars in backpay supposedly.

I rather doubt that anyone would believe such a letter.

Lost in moscow
10-01-2013, 16:57
If they didn't work, they wouldn't be circulated this long, with new and more uptodate letters appearing yearly.

Alan65
10-01-2013, 17:00
I rather doubt that anyone would believe such a letter.

Why do you say that...