PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Record check for Americans applying for Russian Residency

Surfsup37
09-11-2007, 19:48
Yesterday kazachka and I went to the Russian Migration Service HQ, and we were told that Americans needed criminal notification from the FBI not your local state police.

The US Embassy site states that you can use either, and provides a link to the FBI procedure. Federal Bureau of Investigation - Criminal Justice Information Services Division - FBI Identification Record Request (http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm)

In that section the FBI states that processing will take between 16 and 18 weeks. :-(. To obtain a State Police criminal record will take me about a week.

The US Embassy will provide finger prints for the request with an appointment, so I hope to setup an appointment for earlier next week.

Has any one recently used a document from your State police for a residency permit?

Proper Bostonian
10-11-2007, 09:37
18 weeks is an obscene amount of time & will screw all of us. My local passportny stol desk also told me it had to be from the FBI, though the deputy director said it could be a letter from the US Embassy - how crazy is it since the embassy has no access to one's crominal history. I doubt the embassy will provide such a letter, anyway.

I'm thinking of doing both the state & FBI checks. Already have an appt. for fingerprinting with the embassy next week, just in case.

Did the Migration HQ have anything else of importance to say?

Stuck in the same boat as you are...

thva
11-11-2007, 00:01
in fact, what the central office says is really of limited value, as in practice the local office you deal with may be either more strict or more lenient -
I've already gotten the state police document all done up and apostilled, so I'm going to give it a try with what I have and hope it works ...

BrianS
19-11-2007, 11:11
I used my state police document (make sure to have it apostilled) and had no problems with them accepting it.