PDA

View Full Version : A Schengen Visa for my 68 year old father

daria26
28-12-2012, 00:45
Hello!

My 68 year old father and I are planning a reunion this April in Europe. I live in the US and being an American citizen I do not need a visa to enter EU country (as long as it's under 90 days). My father on the other hand, is a Russian citizen and needs a short term visa. We were thinking to travel in Denmark for 4 days and then take a train to Stockholm, from where I will board a plane to NYC and he will go back to Moscow, then Yekaterinburg.

I am planning to book us a B&B in Copenhagen, and Stockholm, and will be able to provide proof of that. My question is, with my father's age, and me providing my financial information (I'm paying for my father - air fare, hotel, meals, etc.), will we have any trouble applying for a Schengen visa? My father has an American visa in his passport right now as he was here for my wedding this past June. I heard that sometimes helps. We'd rather not go through an agency and plan everything ourselves. Also, my father has no interest of staying in EU as my mother still lives in Russia but will not be joining us on this trip.

Any feedback would be appreciated, happy new year!

Arthuro
28-12-2012, 04:12
Hello!
I am planning to book us a B&B in Copenhagen, and Stockholm, and will be able to provide proof of that. My question is, with my father's age, and me providing my financial information (I'm paying for my father - air fare, hotel, meals, etc.), will we have any trouble applying for a Schengen visa? My father has an American visa in his passport right now as he was here for my wedding this past June. I heard that sometimes helps. We'd rather not go through an agency and plan everything ourselves. Also, my father has no interest of staying in EU as my mother still lives in Russia but will not be joining us on this trip.

Well, Danish consulate is not the best one to apply for a Schengen visa.
Generally, it's easy and goes without any trouble, but the Danish one I suppose is the most hard to deal with.

For a retired person usually a copy of "пенсионное удостоверение" and bank statement with a few bucks required
Plus in your case a copy of your American passport - if you plan to stay together

An American visa generally means nothing, as well as his intention to stay in EU or otherwise.
Their approach is rather different from the American, more formal, I would say. They just look through the papers, if they are correct, they issue a visa.
Previous schengen visas in last few yrs without violations usually help a lot.

daria26
28-12-2012, 05:14
Well, Danish consulate is not the best one to apply for a Schengen visa.
Generally, it's easy and goes without any trouble, but the Danish one I suppose is the most hard to deal with.

For a retired person usually a copy of "пенсионное удостоверение" and bank statement with a few bucks required
Plus in your case a copy of your American passport - if you plan to stay together

An American visa generally means nothing, as well as his intention to stay in EU or otherwise.
Their approach is rather different from the American, more formal, I would say. They just look through the papers, if they are correct, they issue a visa.
Previous schengen visas in last few yrs without violations usually help a lot.

Thank you, Arthuro! I am also considering possibly meeting him in Tallinn, Estonia and just flying over or taking the ferry to Stockholm. I think the EU regulations are similar across the board but would you know if Estonians are easier on tourists regarding issuing a visa? Thanks again!

Benedikt
28-12-2012, 07:27
Thank you, Arthuro! I am also considering possibly meeting him in Tallinn, Estonia and just flying over or taking the ferry to Stockholm. I think the EU regulations are similar across the board but would you know if Estonians are easier on tourists regarding issuing a visa? Thanks again!

does it have to be In -Europe- as such. Russians don't need a visa to go to Turkey, the vacation places in tunis, Egypt and the likes are very popular and easy to get to. Austria does not refuse as long as the documentation is in order, which you will provide as you write.

Arthuro
28-12-2012, 08:30

Well, you have to look through consulate websites..
Some of them require an original of a voucher from a hotel with signatures, stamps and 100% pre-payment.. It's not easy to get.
The others are satisfied with a simple print from Internet reservation, e.g booking, expedia, etc..

Similar difference with other docs.

Less complicated turn out to be consulates of France, Spain, Italy, Finland.
Austrian and German consulates also do not require anything sophisticated, though they do not give multi-visas..

Note, you have (at least according to the papers) to stay more days in the country which consulate you gonna apply for a visa

And, yes, Turkey, Serbia, Montenegro, Morocco, Cyprus or even Mexico could be your choice without any visa hassle.. For Mexico and Cyprus e-visa could be obtained through Internet

Alan65
28-12-2012, 09:53
Try looking at the problem the way the authorities will, a simple question is "Does he have a reason to return to Russia"....so to start you off...

He has a wife in Russia who he has been married to for however many years.

Does he own property.

Does he own a car....sounds silly but one of my friends who rents in Moscow provided this as reason to return.

Does he have a income in Russia ...I am thinking a pension that he would lose if were to go on the run.

Does he have a crimonal record.

Finally if possible apply to teh Finland consulate, they are not known as teh visa factory for nothing....

Hans.KK
28-12-2012, 12:40
We were thinking to travel in Denmark for 4 days and then take a train to Stockholm, from where I will board a plane to NYC and he will go back to Moscow, then Yekaterinburg.That is that you are using most time in Denmark, then you have to apply for visa at the Danish Consulate, sorry.
I do not know why you had choosen Denmark, but it is so rare to do that you must have your own good reasons for doing so. And April is a sad month in Denmark too.

BTW. be attentive to the Swedish train price, the same distance at different time gives different price, and it can differ alot. If you are on a budget then you may consider to use a bus, there are both trains and busses directly from Copenhagen til Stockholm.

My question is, with my father's age, and me providing my financial information (I'm paying for my father - air fare, hotel, meals, etc.), will we have any trouble applying for a Schengen visa?If you do it on your own, yes all sorts of problem may arise with the Danes.

My father has an American visa in his passport right now as he was here for my wedding this past June. I heard that sometimes helps.Not at all.

We'd rather not go through an agency and plan everything ourselves.Change your point of view here, if you really want to spend time in Denmark use an Russian travel agency that had been dealing with Denmark before, and you will most likely get a visa for your father.

Arthuro
28-12-2012, 14:45
Try looking at the problem the way the authorities will, a simple question is "Does he have a reason to return to Russia"....so to start you off...

He has a wife in Russia who he has been married to for however many years.

Does he own property.

Does he own a car....sounds silly but one of my friends who rents in Moscow provided this as reason to return.

Does he have a income in Russia ...I am thinking a pension that he would lose if were to go on the run.

Does he have a crimonal record.

Finally if possible apply to teh Finland consulate, they are not known as teh visa factory for nothing....

Schengen consulates (at least the majority) show no or little interest in wives, properties, cars, criminal records.. and income is rather formal thing..
I would say you have to prove you have money for your trip. and where did you get it (income or smth else) is not that important..