PDA

View Full Version : What do English teachers do in summer?

pompeygazza
23-12-2012, 15:35
Hi to all you fellow English teachers out there..I was wondering if you could help me.

What generally happens during the summer months? Do classes dry up in July & August? I taught in Barcelona for a few years and the norm was:

June: classes begin to come to an end.
July: there are occasional one-off or intensive courses but not enough to live off.
August: nothing
September: there's a slow return to classes.

So we were more or less looking at at least 2 months without any work. I'm curious to know what happens here. I teach in-company by the way.

Thanks!

Kartoshka
02-01-2013, 06:25
From what I've heard, this is the pattern in Moscow too.

rusmeister
02-01-2013, 09:08
Well, most study comes to an end by the end of May, with some trickling into June. If you're single, just a visiting expat, you can try to find special summer offers - I once got a job teaching 90 minutes a day on a Volga river cruise. But it's most likely to be an oddball job if you find it. Otherwise, you have to live cheaply and survive as best you can. You should be putting aside a fair chunk of cash in the spring to help you through the summer, imo.

Suuryaa
02-01-2013, 11:46
If you have a full-time job and an official contract with your company, you may get a holiday pay. Read the terms of your contract.

nyinrussia
02-01-2013, 15:05
most classes stop at the beginning of June. Most Russians travel to country dachas or vacations in july and August. Everything starts in September

looker33
02-01-2013, 18:18
Hi to all you fellow English teachers out there..I was wondering if you could help me.

What generally happens during the summer months? Do classes dry up in July & August? I taught in Barcelona for a few years and the norm was:

June: classes begin to come to an end.
July: there are occasional one-off or intensive courses but not enough to live off.
August: nothing
September: there's a slow return to classes.

So we were more or less looking at at least 2 months without any work. I'm curious to know what happens here. I teach in-company by the way.

Thanks!
Hello!
For me, I'll be into more holidays than ever! For next summer, I'm going to get new courses about Tele-School Technology.

FatAndy
02-01-2013, 22:13
What generally happens during the summer months? Do classes dry up in July & August?
If you prefer to work, not travel and drink beer at the coast surrounded by girls, then you... may work in such atmosphere... there are some summer camps where parents send their almost adult children to have a rest, and sometimes these camps need English (German, French, Spanish) teachers. I'm not quite sure that they pay good, but at least it is combination of rest and work...

cheriedeperth
03-01-2013, 00:28
I'm on contract and always work in the summer. There may be less classes but the pay is the same. Other teachers leave Moscow for greener pastures. Contract is the way to go for stability.