PDA

View Full Version : Challenging question: would you go to Israel for vacation time?

logoff
14-01-2004, 19:54
?

veejay
14-01-2004, 20:07
Depends. I was there during June of 2002, and there were 3 bombings in the space of about 5 days during my visit. All excursions organised through the institute I was working with at the time mandated that we were accompanied by heavily armed security guards, and getting around in the country was somewhat tedious given access to areas/regions was limited. It was an intense experience. At the same time, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I definitely have plans to return to Israel. As an addendum, I was primarily in Jerusalem, and travelled to Haifa, the Golan Heights, as well as the Dead Sea. If you'd like more info, send me a PM...

Limitchik
14-01-2004, 20:08
I didn't really find that to be a challenging question at all.

No.

DJ Biscuit
14-01-2004, 20:13
As I understand if you get an Israeli stamp in your passport you can't get into any other Arab country.

Limitchik, congrats on your hard earned avatar.

Is the question about the troubles there? Because you may as well have listed hundreds of countries.

Allenson
14-01-2004, 22:19
I was there in '97 for almost 2 weeks and it was one of the best trips I have ever taken - however, I have to say that I have a very close friend there and I stayed with his family just south of Haifa - If I went back (which I have also been recently considering) I would only go to visit or stay with friends - no tour-groups, bus travel, etc. and I probably wouldn't go back to Jerusalem (although I readily admit my fear may be unfounded).

For what its worth...

Jet
14-01-2004, 22:59
Absolutely

zerkalo
16-01-2004, 13:26
No, but then I have no desire to see anything there. Its the same with Egypt and Turkey, despite what my friends say. There's just no interest here. That said, I factor the possibility of terrorism in convincing myself I don't need to go...

TTL
16-01-2004, 13:36
Just stay off public transport, and be careful of malls (nothing much to buy in any event - best prices in Israel are at the airport duty free, especially the SAKAL shops) and cafes, especially in Jerusalem.

I have been in Israel many times, including during terrorist alerts. I just don't have the time to go right now and there are too many other places that I haven't seen which get priority when I do travel.