PDA

View Full Version : International Pen-Friendships

franzewich
14-12-2012, 22:09
there's also need in Germany, believe it or not!

franzewich, sorry for interfering in your discussion. But could you tell me more about it?:question:

Potty, as I announced, I'd rather start an new thread with your question; it really would be completely out of place in the other one.

As a start: I really do admire "Muds" charitable works - he is my true inspiration!

There are many children in Germany who desperately need help. Many come from immigrant families (very many Russians, in fact) and they have got all kinds of trouble, mainly related to the difficult German language. Materially they don't really lack anything, but they need attention. I hope to be able to get together some people (expatriates of different nations in Munich) and I also hope for the support of my employer to get some used PCs. The idea is to not just improve their German, but also their English by organizing kind of pen-friendships internationally. I want this to be more than just chat rooms, I hope they might really develop deeper friendships.

It is just an idea, still a bit vague, and at the moment I do too much business travelling and can't really concentrate on this, but there is improvement in sight!

What do you think about this idea - sound weird, or worth pursuing? :) It is more time which needs to be invested, and that, as we all know, is very precious!

And most important: Wish me luck and endurance, please! :)

Potty
14-12-2012, 22:26
What do you think about this idea - sound weird, or worth pursuing? :) It is more time which needs to be invested, and that, as we all know, is very precious!

And most important: Wish me luck and endurance, please! :)

does it really need investments? Seems like it needs time resources of a group of interested volunteers, not money. Unless you are going organize real lessons with classrooms and books. Of course I wish you luck. You have good intentions, that's great.

GalinaP
14-12-2012, 22:48
Maybe my students could also be involved in the project, although I'm sure they'd be tempted to write to each other in Russian...

franzewich
14-12-2012, 23:14
does it really need investments? Seems like it needs time resources of a group of interested volunteers, not money. Unless you are going organize real lessons with classrooms and books. Of course I wish you luck. You have good intentions, that's great.

You are precisely right! Time is the major problem! Real lessons are not required, and I'm afraid it might have a negative effect on their motivation! It must be fun, otherwise the kids rather go playing football. :) I worked my way through Graduate School teaching, but this was University level. Teaching kids, I guess, is an entirely different ballgame!

What's intriguing is the fact that different people with different backgrounds and language will help - mainly translating. So we hope to get the teens interest and fascination up. At least I hope...

A little money, of course, is required, too. PC maintenance and repair, internet flat rates, and the like... But, I guess, we will manage to come up with the dough ourselves.

We are at the very, very beginning, and any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm also very prudent with prognoses, but do I have a good feeling about it.

franzewich
14-12-2012, 23:24
Maybe my students could also be involved in the project, although I'm sure they'd be tempted to write to each other in Russian...

Sure (I was hoping you'd say that! ;) ) I would love you to participate!

I hope to get institutions in Russia involved, too, of course, once the startup has been made. It might be interesting to get kids from all kinds of Europe together. I mean, it would be perfectly o.k. if Russians wrote in Russian - but "German-Russians" might be able to help "Russian-Russians" learning German - if they are interested. That I don't know, yet.

We had pen-friends when we were teenagers, but we were lacking the support. Waiting for weeks for an answer letter was boring, and the entire idea of pen-friendships kind of died. Today with IT it will be much quicker to get an answer - the teens just need supervision and guidance. We'll see!