PDA

View Full Version : bringing money to the USA

molly picon
10-12-2012, 21:24
I'm going to the U.S. for a couple of months and am wondering what is the best way to bring a bunch of Russian money (it's under 10,000 so will be legal to export). I want to deposit it into my permanent U.S. bank account. So, what would you do? Find a way to transfer it, ie Paypal? Change rubles to dollars here? Change rubles to dollars there? I'm flying to New York in a few weeks...

Judge
10-12-2012, 21:44
If you're going to carry cash , carry dollars not rubles...I was told that many countries don't exchange rubles..

MBX
10-12-2012, 22:28
My wife exchanged rubles in the US just recently, but I would take the advice of carrying dollars rather than rubles.

tonytony
10-12-2012, 22:39
Have a look at in which country you will get a better exchange rate. I'm 99% certain that you'll get a better exchange rate changing the money to dollars while you're still in Russia.

FatAndy
10-12-2012, 22:55
I'm going to the U.S. for a couple of months and am wondering what is the best way to bring a bunch of Russian money (it's under 10,000 so will be legal to export). I want to deposit it into my permanent U.S. bank account. So, what would you do? Find a way to transfer it, ie Paypal? Change rubles to dollars here? Change rubles to dollars there? I'm flying to New York in a few weeks...
I'd open USD account in any of Russian bank, get debit card and withdraw cash in US.

But if you prefer cash, RUB to USD here, of course.

1) The "fork" (difference sell/buy) in RF is ~1%, in US it may reach 10%... and of course not into your favour;

2) RUB is not fully hard currency (although it is officially accepted in China border regions, Finland and most of CIS countries), so not every bank operates with them, and additional charges will be taken from you;

3) US money (even non-familiar $100 notes) will cause much less questions at US customs (if any) than other currency

Hans.KK
10-12-2012, 23:22
2) RUB is not fully hard currency (although it is officially accepted in China border regions, Finland and most of CIS countriesAnd Denmark, I purchase a little roubles in a bank at the airport just to see if it could be done. They were advertised with the rate on their boards so.... and yes, it could be done.
I am still surprised that this could be done at all, and the rate was not that bad, and the service fee was ok.

Benedikt
11-12-2012, 08:01
And Denmark, I purchase a little roubles in a bank at the airport just to see if it could be done. They were advertised with the rate on their boards so.... and yes, it could be done.
I am still surprised that this could be done at all, and the rate was not that bad, and the service fee was ok.

most safe -currency-. and it is just a few papers, not a wad of cash. and if anything might go wrong ( stolen, etc) they will be replaced...

rumple_stilskin
11-12-2012, 09:59
I thought the rule was that if it was more than $3000 you need to declare it.
$10,000 in cash is allowable.

no?

they may ask where you got it? You are working legally here?

here is a link, its not an official website:
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/essentials/customs/

FatAndy
11-12-2012, 11:16
I thought the rule was that if it was more than $3000 you need to declare it.
$10,000 in cash is allowable.

no?

they may ask where you got it? You are working legally here?

here is a link, its not an official website:
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/essentials/customs/
No, since Apr 2010 =<$10K in cash or traveller cheques is not neccessary to declare (but if you wish, you may declare of course) while you move through Customs Union border (Belorussia-Russia-Kazakhstan):
http://fl.customs.ru/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&Itemid=1793

annasophia
11-12-2012, 16:21
Just came back into the US from south America.

Security is tight in the US. You don't want to be detained and questioned for any reason---no.

The best thing to do is minimize cash on your person and maximize digital transference of monetary units. Have a bank account from which you can ATM withdraw your Rooski rubles into USD when in the states. You will take a small hit in currency conversion fees but it is the best and least painful way of accessing your cash. Seriously.

ATM withdrawals are the way to go. Set it up before you leave Russia.

rubyrussia
11-12-2012, 17:36
Just came back into the US from south America.

Security is tight in the US. You don't want to be detained and questioned for any reason---no.

The best thing to do is minimize cash on your person and maximize digital transference of monetary units. Have a bank account from which you can ATM withdraw your Rooski rubles into USD when in the states. You will take a small hit in currency conversion fees but it is the best and least painful way of accessing your cash. Seriously.

LOL, the US authorities opened up your wallet and counted your cash in front of you? I guess Obama really is desperate for money. :) It still won't balance the budget. :D

robertmf
11-12-2012, 21:21

Wells Fargo has plenty of ATMs in the USA (it is also the one I use)

Wells Fargo — Википедия

USA customs currency declarations (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/currency_rpt_flyer/)

molly picon
11-12-2012, 21:28
Thanks for all the advice! I hadn't thought this would be such a controversial question. I'd thought if I had any problems carrying a bunch of cash it would hit me leaving Russia or possibly hit me in the form of someone jumping me in N.Y. (unlikely). How could I possibly have problems entering my own country and what could they possibly suspect me of? (I don't think border guards in the U.S. are watching out for freelance tutors...)

robertmf
11-12-2012, 21:40
... I'd thought if I had any problems carrying a bunch of cash it would hit me leaving Russia or possibly hit me in the form of someone jumping me in N.Y. (unlikely). How could I possibly have problems entering my own country and what could they possibly suspect me of? (I don't think border guards in the U.S. are watching out for freelance tutors...)

Haven't you heard of Murphy's Law :question:

Besides, why would anyone want to carry 'large amounts' of cash through customs :question: :7525: You'll just get investigated for being mule.

molly picon
11-12-2012, 21:51
Haven't you heard of Murphy's Law :question:

Besides, why would anyone want to carry 'large amounts' of cash through customs :question: :7525: You'll just get investigated for being mule.

Oh yeah, NOW I see.

ilya25
14-12-2012, 01:25

You can easily transfer money to your US bank account via any large Russian bank 1-3 days and 50-100 USD fee

Why to bother with cash????

BabyFirefly
14-12-2012, 01:36
My husband and I carried about $5000 (each of us) when we were moving back Stateside, no one at DME, London Heathrow, JFK, or SJU even asked about it.

Arthuro
14-12-2012, 05:34
You can easily transfer money to your US bank account via any large Russian bank 1-3 days and 50-100 USD fee

Why to bother with cash????

Possibly to avoid a tax problem in US