PDA

View Full Version : Police checks - Australia

tobias
07-11-2007, 12:51
Maybe someone can shed some light on this. I am applying for Temporary Residence as an Australian citizen, married to a Russian. There are state-wide police checks and Australia-wide police checks. I think the Australia-wide police check is what the OVIR wants. Then under Australia-wide checks there are name based and name + fingerprint based checks. Do I need the fingerprint based check or just the name based check. I would have to go home and give them my fingerprints for the former.

tobias
08-11-2007, 10:23
anyone?

08-11-2007, 10:36
You need the document with your full name, date and place of birth, and citizenship. No need fingerprint based document as FMS does not ask for your fingerprint BEFORE you get the temp. residence permit.

tobias
11-11-2007, 17:08
Thanks Guest but I'm not talking about putting my fingerprints on the document. The police can check the criminal database/s for my name, or my name or fingerprints.

Bels
11-11-2007, 17:42
Is this of any help?

https://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks.html

You want a police check for immigration purposes, and I would think you can apply from here in Russia, just like I had to do. The police check should also be apostiled.

tobias
11-11-2007, 19:52
Thanks Bels, it's says there people just get a name search unless there's a reason for getting the fingerprint search. But the Australians don't know the OVIR. I take it most applicants just get the name search, which is what I've ordered. If OVIR want a fingerprint check I'll just go mental,.. simple.

Bels
11-11-2007, 20:00
Thanks Bels, it's says there people just get a name search unless there's a reason for getting the fingerprint search. But the Australians don't know the OVIR. I take it most applicants just get the name search, which is what I've ordered. If OVIR want a fingerprint check I'll just go mental,.. simple.

Guest was correct in his answer. He told you what they need and you don't need a fingerprint. My british police check was very simple, No criminal offenses on our data-base.That was it.

You don't need a finger-print check. Why? Because I'm going to get my finger-print check this week from the Russians. As I have just received confirmation proof of my residency. So your finger-print check will come soon enough, but not by your country.

Bels
11-11-2007, 20:17
I haven't studied the Australian application, but I say just fill it in on the internet. In british circumstances they ask you the purpose, for example immigration or for employment where you are working for children for example. Now we all know that Britain is very tough on employment with jobs involving children, and in fact there will be exceptions on data protection act in this case.

However I've gone off subject, just get the simple police check, and no they are not likely to mention minor driving offences

tobias
12-11-2007, 11:18
Guest was correct in his answer. He told you what they need and you don't need a fingerprint. My british police check was very simple, No criminal offenses on our data-base.That was it.

You don't need a finger-print check. Why? Because I'm going to get my finger-print check this week from the Russians. As I have just received confirmation proof of my residency. So your finger-print check will come soon enough, but not by your country.

Thanks, that's clear now, sorry Guest misunderstood what you were saying.

Umutt65
12-11-2007, 23:00
Do you think it is easier to give a call at the Australian Embassy so they will give you the information of where and how you can obtain the No police records certificate?

Bels
12-11-2007, 23:36
I doubt it, If the British Embassy is anything to go by. Get your police check by the Australian authorities. It's the only way.

Rustralian
12-11-2007, 23:53
The procedure for obtaining National Police Certificates in Australia is quite simple. If you are in Australia you go to your State or Territory Police (or in Western Australia you can now only make the application at Australia Post agencies) and some State Police forces allow you to apply by post - though most seem to need an application made in person and ID produced when it is made.

If you are overseas and want your National Police Certificate sent overseas you can only apply through the Australian Federal Police.

The difference with Australia is that we don't have a National Police Force. The Federal Police are only involved with International issues or Federal crimes (drugs, tax, customs) which are very limited and they also have jurisdiction for the Australian Capital Territory as it is not a State of Australia, but just a thing the Federal Government created. Criminal law is controlled by each State Police force under each State criminal code or criminal laws and there is no central database as such. There is also no national ID system - apart from tax numbers.

When you apply for a National Police Certificate each Police force (State or Federal) make contact with each other Police Force (except Queensland who do not provide any information to the Australian Federal Police) and request information about you - that is why if there is someone with the same name in another State it takes longer as they do more checks to make sure you are not the same person. I have only ever heard of it once happening where someone from one State had the same name and date of birth as someone in another State with a criminal record and that caused a few problems - but as they now require photographic ID they should be able to work it out, as all States now require photo's on your motor driver's licence - which is the only real form of ID that exists in Australia - State based motor driver's licenses.

The only effective difference is that with a State based National Police Certificate they do not normally include traffic violations as they are traffic and not criminal (there is a separate State certificate for traffic in Western Australia), whereas the Federal Police forms ask the States to provide information on traffic violations when the Federal Police gather the information for a National Police Certificate.

The Australian Embassy in Moscow will direct you to the Australian Federal Police and they have relevant information on their website - the same information is on every Australian embassy website.

In theory, unless Queensland has recently changed its attitude and you have a criminal record only in Queensland, if you apply for a National Police Certificate from overseas through the Australian Federal Police, it should come back clean :duhhhh:

Bels
13-11-2007, 12:26
The same applies to British police checks. You need to send your application to the local police department of the area where you last were resident. However the main Scotland yard website will provide you with a list of addresses.

However if you happen to be in the UK at the moment, It's a lot easier, quicker and safer to get it done and receive your police check in the UK. Because you then have to get it opstiled with another address. So to summarise, get your police check and your apostil before you arrive in Russia if you can. It's a lot easier and my guess is that this also applies to Australians.

tobias
11-01-2008, 10:13
EDIT - No drama. Just called them again and said it's apostilled so it's already legalised in Russia.(which my wife did mention the first time) and they agreed. It seems after the first call they checked the law. We were initially confused because the first time we went to the OVIR we did talk about the apostille but they said it had to be legalised in Russia. I think at the time they didn't realise what that meant. Sorry for any confusion caused. - EDIT

I just received my apostilled, Queensland Police Australia-wide Police check, if that makes sense. I might have a problem re legalising it in the Russian Federation.

On the list of required documents which was written out and given us by local OVIR it states; 'Police check, translated and legalised in Russia'

At the time the woman said you legalise it in Russia. My wife just called them and they said I must get a stamp or something from the Russian embassy in Australia.

Is that correct? I thought I just had to have it translated and notarised. Has anyone else had this drama? I'd like to be able to explain to them they're wrong and why if possible, because my registration runs out beginning of February and I was hoping to have this application finished before then.

Voronezh
14-02-2008, 18:06
Is this of any help?

https://www.afp.gov.au/business/national_police_checks.html

You want a police check for immigration purposes, and I would think you can apply from here in Russia, just like I had to do. The police check should also be apostiled.

sorry, i can't find the required information in the link you posted about a police check from austalia applying from Russia. Please post more info!