PDA

View Full Version : Really confussed how to live in Moscow

Rob26
07-11-2007, 03:41
I have a girlfriend in Moscow. I want to be with her, we have been visiting eachother for the past year, but because of her mothers poor health she cant come to the UK in the near future.

I want to live in Moscow, I know basic russian and am of course a native english speaker.

She owns her own property and I have savings so it is not a big deal if I do not find work straight away. I was thinking about ESL teaching freelance.

So in short without working for a school how can I move to Russia and work? Would it help if we were married? Or does have this have no relevance to wether I can stay in Russia or not.

Thanks for reading.

Rob.

Judge
07-11-2007, 03:54
If you are thinking of coming over ,best go for a temporary residence visa,you will be able to live here for 3 years.Check out the forum for info on temp rez.There are new laws on the year muti entry visa.It would be easier to get the temp rez if you got married.

If you are in no rush to work,you could put a few ads up where you live,see if anyone is interested in english lesson.Working for a school isn't that bad,it's a good start,you will get to know other teachers and many students..You could post on here for students.

Good luck..

Rob26
07-11-2007, 04:09
Thanks for your swift response, I will read the posts on the forum about temp res visas. I have visited Moscow several times and would be living very close to dynamo metro station.

Of course the health of her mother would determine the length of my stay. But 3 years would be enough I am sure. It was just quite difficult to find any help and she is just as clueless as I am on the subject.

Judge
07-11-2007, 04:16
You are welcome, if you have anymore question,ask away.

For the temp res, tell your girl friend to go to her local OVIR office and ask for the forms, from there she will know what to do.

Lady Marmalade
07-11-2007, 05:28
You should really opt for temporary residence and or consider marrying your girlfriend if you're in a serious relationship and you think it might be headed for the altar anyway. Getting a multi entry visa for business or a tourist visa isn't going to cut it because you're always going to have to be coming and going from Moscow to renew it, it can get costly.

1. How old are you?
2. Do you have experience teaching?
3. Are you aware of all the costs involved in living in Moscow, it's very expensive and I would suggest you post in the teacher's forum to see how much those teachers are making on average and if it evens out with what you would need to survive.
4. I would perhaps start laying the groundwork for a teaching position now, like if you're qualified to do it, apply for positions at the AAS, the BIS and the other three schools that all cater to foreigners.
5. Can you edit, if so, and you think you can scrape by on a little money you could apply to the big four, like McKinsey or PWC or Deloitte for an editing position. Pay is not good, but would get you a work permit and your girlfriend if she owns property can register you.
6. Apply for banking editing jobs if you have any knowledge of finance at all, they pay the best, better than teaching for sure and most ESL teachers have had to do some type of editing at one point or another in their career.

And I guess 7. Good luck.

Rob26
07-11-2007, 06:10
Im 26, I have no teaching experience ESL was just an idea. As I said I just need a way to be in Moscow for a year or 2.

Yes I have read though the average teaching saleries thread and do not see how somebody who would earn $1000 a month and have no rent to pay could not live, My girlfriend earns a good salary in Moscow her money and my money is of course, our money. We would only have utility bills to pay and to buy food. I do not live a lavish lifestyle and do not like cheese so it should be ok.

Yes marriage is a possibility but I would rather it were for reasons other then to help with temp res.

I think the best solution would be to work in a school for a year and see how it goes, you always meet new people who may be able to help and being in Moscow for a year I am on the road to achieving what I set out to achieve.

I know everyone would advise against it but..

Can I work for a school for a year, then simply reapply and work for a 2nd year?

When is best to apply for these positions?

Judge
07-11-2007, 15:13
You can work for a school as long as you want,that's if the school doesn't get rid of you first...
I'll be back in Moscow in jan,i could hook you up with a school,just to get you started.

jcmuro
07-11-2007, 16:00
Hello to all! This is my first post in the forum. I am from Spain, have been living in Moscow for about 5 months, and I am sorry to say that I am forgetting my English since I so hard struggle to speak in Russian )))

Well, done the presentation, just to say that Rob wrote this thread just as if it was me :) This is my case. I am now in Spain, just came back to make a new and longer visa (multientry for one year). But in this post I have read the words "temporary residence visa". I will inquire in the forum, but something says to me that something new i am to discover..

To mention that am on the IT bussiness, with long experience in Spain. I pretend to apply for a job there in the line. I applied in the last weeks in internet sites just to test, and achieved nice results. But as I had to come back to Spain I had to postpone the meeting.
So, many many questions right now in my head. I will try to learn reading in the forum.

Thanks!

Bels
07-11-2007, 16:00
I have a girlfriend in Moscow. I want to be with her, we have been visiting eachother for the past year, but because of her mothers poor health she cant come to the UK in the near future.

I want to live in Moscow, I know basic russian and am of course a native english speaker.

She owns her own property and I have savings so it is not a big deal if I do not find work straight away. I was thinking about ESL teaching freelance.

So in short without working for a school how can I move to Russia and work? Would it help if we were married? Or does have this have no relevance to wether I can stay in Russia or not.

Thanks for reading.

Rob.

For temporary residency it helps a lot that you are married. The process will take time. In the meantime why not go teach for a school who can give you the work invitation try Dave's ESL Cafe (http://www.eslcafe.com) or Welcome - TEFL.com (http://www.tefl.com) and seach for vacancies in Russia. Of course this site also has a vacancy section for teachers.Perhaps you can work for a school partime and do private teaching on the side.

The proper procedure is private invitation from your girlfriend. But you have to get a new one every three months.

Rob26
07-11-2007, 18:54
The proper procedure is private invitation from your girlfriend. But you have to get a new one every three months.

Yes, I spoke to her about this today and that I was still searching for ways to come to Moscow, she said she could "invite" me. I will also look into this, My head is spinning a bit as ive stayed up until 4am the past two nights looking for ways to make this happen.

Thanks for your offer Judge I will bear this in mind.

So I could get an invite from a school but agree a contract where I would work maybe 15 hours a week and try to build up private lessons on the side, sounds like a good plan.

Bels
07-11-2007, 20:08
Yes, I spoke to her about this today and that I was still searching for ways to come to Moscow, she said she could "invite" me. I will also look into this, My head is spinning a bit as ive stayed up until 4am the past two nights looking for ways to make this happen.

Thanks for your offer Judge I will bear this in mind.

So I could get an invite from a school but agree a contract where I would work maybe 15 hours a week and try to build up private lessons on the side, sounds like a good plan.

If you wish, you can apply to get employment to a school from your own country, you might get the whole package , flight, invitation even accomadation that you won't need (ask for an extra payment instead) If you go this road your girl friend won't need to take the trouble of getting invitation and you can probaby stay longer in Russia.

SOMETHING THAT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME IF YOU CHOOSE THE MARRIAGE AND RESIDENTIAL PATH
Don't forget to bring all important documents you might need. For example birth certificate, divorce papers. And get a police check. Ensure all documents are apostiled before you arrive. It will save time rather than depending on the Moscow post.

phoenixsampras
07-11-2007, 22:49
I've been through that situation, what i can advice you is this:

1. before come to live moscow ,be sure your relationship with your GF is serious and long term (and im not talking about love or passion), becoz if that fails youa re going to lose a lot of time and a LOOOt of money in moscow, and you will get a big frustration in your life.

2. if yes to 1 then MARRY. Yes marriague should b romantic blah blah, but this is moscow and OVIR gives a damn, so if you want to leave in peace thats the way or at least you know exactly when your mom GF will pass away (no offense) , thts uncertain i dont see any other option than temp residency.

3. onec Married, get a 3 year temp visa

4. Learn russian

5. About get a job, seems the classic way is become a teacher, but i would choice other areas, there is plenty of oportunities in moscow for the clever (not smart necesarely)

Clean32
07-11-2007, 23:24
all good posts.
Family invitation, 3 months, get married, apply for Temp res, so its a bussy 3 months, and i am sure MUM would like to see her daughter married before she drops off ( not a nice thing to say but).

The uota as i understand it in mosscow is closed, so marrage temp res is the only option. you coluld get a school to do a work visa for you but there are plenety of conserns to go with that as well.

nope temp res only way to go, you could be here in 20days or less, if you realy wanted to

Dietrich
08-11-2007, 11:04
Of course the health of her mother would determine the length of my stay. But 3 years would be enough I am sure.

My mother in law also was sure that she MAYBE might live another year.. not more. So I also moved to russia....
This was 4 1/2 years ago and her health did not change much in that time.

So if you do not plan to "do" something about that, plan for a longer time....

Dietrich

Jay1
08-11-2007, 12:30
Hi Rob,

TEFL do intensive weekend teaching courses in the UK, this might help your chances of getting a job.

: ITC, Intensive Tefl Courses, Tefl Jobs (http://www.tefl.co.uk/)

Cheers Jason.

Rob26
08-11-2007, 12:46
all good posts.
Family invitation, 3 months, get married, apply for Temp res, so its a busy 3 months

I have heard temp res takes 5-6 months to process. If I am only on a 3 month invitation how would I stay longer then 3 months? Or do you mean come for 3 months apply then leave and hope I can come back if my application for temp res is successful?

Bels
08-11-2007, 12:55
Yes, leave and come straight back with a new visa. It's a pain and that's you'll want residency. However if you get a good invitation from a school you will have a longer term here with a different type of visa.

Make sure the school is allowed to invite, with an invitation with their own name on it. Not a bogus bought one from an agency.

phoenixsampras
08-11-2007, 12:57
or you can get a business 1 year multientry visa, you can get it through a agency, i used Russian Visa Online, Moscow, Russia. Tourist, Business, Multiple-Entry Travel Russia Visa Support Invitation Services. Russian Federation Visa Requirements, Embassy and Consulate Application Form. Visas to all CIS Countries: Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhs (http://www.visatorussia.com/) previously they work very fine

this is where you start spending lot of money, maenwhile you make your temp residency, you will need to keep traveling to renew you visa, registrations ,tickets, etc. ive heard now you cant stay more than 90 days in russia, search the forums for the new migration rules

Bels
08-11-2007, 13:16
or you can get a business 1 year multientry visa, you can get it through a agency, i used Russian Visa Online, Moscow, Russia. Tourist, Business, Multiple-Entry Travel Russia Visa Support Invitation Services. Russian Federation Visa Requirements, Embassy and Consulate Application Form. Visas to all CIS Countries: Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhs (http://www.visatorussia.com/) previously they work very fine

this is where you start spending lot of money, maenwhile you make your temp residency, you will need to keep traveling to renew you visa, registrations ,tickets, etc. ive heard now you cant stay more than 90 days in russia, search the forums for the new migration rules

In Rob's case he doesn't need an agency. He can get the best invitation from a school or his girlfriend. The choice of visa he wants comes from the Russian Embassy.

Консульский отдел Посольства России в Лондоне (http://rusemblon.org/)

or rusemblon.org

all the info and application forms are there. So no need to waste any money on agencies, do it direct because it's easy.

Bels
08-11-2007, 17:15
Im 26, I have no teaching experience ESL was just an idea. As I said I just need a way to be in Moscow for a year or 2.

Yes I have read though the average teaching saleries thread and do not see how somebody who would earn $1000 a month and have no rent to pay could not live, My girlfriend earns a good salary in Moscow her money and my money is of course, our money. We would only have utility bills to pay and to buy food. I do not live a lavish lifestyle and do not like cheese so it should be ok.

Yes marriage is a possibility but I would rather it were for reasons other then to help with temp res.

I think the best solution would be to work in a school for a year and see how it goes, you always meet new people who may be able to help and being in Moscow for a year I am on the road to achieving what I set out to achieve.

I know everyone would advise against it but..

Can I work for a school for a year, then simply reapply and work for a 2nd year?

When is best to apply for these positions?

There is an English training offering an invitation now in the lessons section here on this forum. It states in return for some commited hours they will provide you with an invitation with a full years visa. Sounds pretty good, worth trying.

But I would also shop around and keep your options open.Money and convenience of area for example :) I wouldn't like any teacher cheated out of money just to get a visa.
If this one can do it others also can, providing they have the right to invite foreign teachers.

Rob26
08-11-2007, 19:02
Thanks for the help Bel, I have discussed it with my gf and I think we will do the 3 month invitation, hopefully can negotiate some kind of job where I would get a yearly visa in that time, if not then another 3 month visa (biz or invitation) but as with most things its probably best to negotiate with people face to face and easier if you are already in the right country with regards to the schools etc..

With regards to teaching diplomas which is the best one to do? I have seen about CELTA and TEFOL (or something like this). It would of course be best to do this before i came.

Bels
08-11-2007, 19:42
Thanks for the help Bel, I have discussed it with my gf and I think we will do the 3 month invitation, hopefully can negotiate some kind of job where I would get a yearly visa in that time, if not then another 3 month visa (biz or invitation) but as with most things its probably best to negotiate with people face to face and easier if you are already in the right country with regards to the schools etc..

With regards to teaching diplomas which is the best one to do? I have seen about CELTA and TEFOL (or something like this). It would of course be best to do this before i came.

The most widely recognised qualification is the celta or the trinity. The course takes 4 weeks. Cost is between 800 - 1000. There is bound to be a course in your area. If you have this you will be recognised anywhere in the world incuding the UK.In fact you must have a CELTA or equivelent to teach in the UK. You can get by without one in Russia, but it helps a lot to have one.

TEFL simply means Teaching English as a foreign language. TEFL, TEFOL, TESL or TESL are simply abbreviations and not a qualification.

If its more convenient for you can take a CELTA in Moscow from BKC.

Bels
08-11-2007, 19:49
There are a few schools used to employing overseas rather than locally, these are normally the larger international schools such as Language Link. Or the ones advertising on international web-sites. They will offer packages and assistance in travelling, your interveiw will be by telephone. Just another option that you might want to consider.

Rob26
17-12-2007, 18:54
Just a quick update -

So far in my job hunt the best offer I got was $450 a month. I even got an offer for $250 a month. I guess you really do need a TEFL certificate in Moscow :)

Anyway im next in Moscow 28.12-07.01 so I will continue the search.

:wavey:

Bels
17-12-2007, 19:11
Just a quick update -

So far in my job hunt the best offer I got was $450 a month. I even got an offer for $250 a month. I guess you really do need a TEFL certificate in Moscow :)

Anyway im next in Moscow 28.12-07.01 so I will continue the search.

:wavey:

I wouldn't even accept that in s There are not that many of us natives around now. Hopefully you all start saying no, and they might get the message. Because in comparison to what these places are charging, they are ripping you off.

Bels
17-12-2007, 19:14
For jobs in Moscow it's worth looking up here: Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://expat.ru/vacancies.php)