PDA

View Full Version : Aquarist

Timothy
13-01-2004, 14:21
Does anyone know a good aquarist in Moscow? - I have just moved here and will be shipping my aquarium across.

I need to know who has a good stock of fish and would be able to offer good advice about water quality etc.

DPG
03-02-2004, 19:06
I saw one on one of the upper floors of Detskiy Mir the other day, looked quite well presented with a few of the more unusual Cichlid species and most accessories that one would need - didn't talk to anyone though (got rid of my aquarium a few years ago)...as for water quality I hope you bring a good deioniser and filter system with you!

If you do find somewhere I wouldn't bet on the person working there actually knowing anything indepth about what they are sellling...they are more likely just to be shop assistants in the base form of the species! Perhaps you'll be lucky enough to meet someone who knows their nitrites from their nitrates though!

Good Luck!

ghost 6-3
04-02-2004, 11:57
Don't have the address of the aquarist on me. There are scores here, but none I know with English speaking staff.

Water quality, though, is awful. You will need a filter system. Chlorine levels in the fall and spring are near lethal.

bad manners
04-02-2004, 17:36
Originally posted by ghost 6-3
Water quality, though, is awful. You will need a filter system. Chlorine levels in the fall and spring are near lethal.

This is the most nonsensical statement I've seen to date. Any aquarium greater than your one-pint-gold-fish-bowl needs a filter, no matter what water quality. It also needs a stand-by reservoir where water is staged for the partial weekly replacement. If those things are not there the fish will kill themselves, chlorine or not. And, of course, routine hardness control and conditioning. That's for the simple fresh-water case.

ghost 6-3
04-02-2004, 18:02
I thought it was blatantly obvious that I meant you will need a multi-stage filter installed by your tap (like one of those three stage water filters that used to be sold by Teledyne - a good Russian company does that now, I just don't have their name on me at work).

The chemical levels in Moscow water (especially in spring, due to the municipal water supply company's efforts to alleviate the build up over the winter of a great number of organic and inorganic pollutants in the snow of the watershed) are very high, and (as the aquarist told me), the fish suffer greatly.

You can count on your tank filter. Bad manners would. I wouldn't.

DPG
04-02-2004, 18:18
A reverse osmosis system would be a good idea if that is the case (i.e that it is that bad - and it wouldn't surprise me if it was!).

bad manners
04-02-2004, 18:34
Any water that gets into the aquarium must be pre-conditioned, which includes, at least, aeration and dechlorination, in the stand-by reservoir I mentioned. You may use a "multi-stage tap filter" in addition to that, never as a substitute. Considering the performance and the cost of a filter that actually removes all the chlorine, and especially the cost of its maintenance, it is simpler to buy bottled water.

Timothy
05-02-2004, 09:14
I suspect like most people who maintain a tropical aquarium I usually let the water declorinate in a large container for 4-5 days before treating it to ensure the correct ph level. I used perform 15-20% water changes once per week when in Germany.

Not speaking English isn't a problem (I used to be an interpreter by profession).

Any more technical advice as regards water quality would however be appreciated - are there any steps I should carry out in addition to the above?

I have yet to stock my tank however the filter has been running for two weeks or so now and the ph is around 7. Nitrate levels are negligible (although evidently these will change once I stock the tank). I am hoping to get some Malawi cichlids this weekend.

DPG
05-02-2004, 12:57
I would certainly seed the tank biologically with some small fish of before putting the malawis in, in order to give the anaerobic and biological parts of your filters something to get going with, and to stabilise nitrite and concurrently nitrate levels...just put in some tetra or danios...ph of 7 is a bit high to be ideal for them but they are hardy and you aren't looking to breed them. Another idea would be the iclusion of a Plecostumas Punctati (I can't remember the english name) - they are the sucker type catfish, and will adapt to pretty much any water chemistry (gradual changes), they are tough enough to be left in with african cichlids and look great (and eat the algae and leftover food in the tank!).

I had a thing in the uk that you attached to the tap and ran the water throuhg, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was a tower type arrangement with various deionising substances contained within it - it removes everything from the water inc chlorine and leaves you with an absolutely pure base (good enough for discus out of the bucket!)...to this water you add additives to reach your desired hardness and chemistry - i.e fairly hard for your african lake cichlids...look around online aquarist shops and you'll find the thing I'm talking about - it really was indespensible.

Let me know how this goes - I'd love to have a look when you've got everything up and running...are you planning a species setup solely for Malawis??

flucie
25-02-2004, 20:02
I am moving over to Moscow in a couple of weeks. I have four gold fishes. They are neither very fancy nor very exotic but I like them and would like to bring them over. Any idea of how to do that?
I did a litle bit of research on the subject and it seems that it is a lot more tricky to move with a fish than with, say, a pitbull :-/