PDA

View Full Version : US citizen getting married in Moscow

marcus4928
21-11-2012, 01:39
I'm a US citizen getting married in Moscow to a Russian citizen. The process is still a bit hazy...

My fiance went to ZAGS and they explained that I don't need to bother with the US Embassy in Moscow or foreign ministry if I can provide official a free to marry letter from the US, notarized and apostilled. They claim this can be obtained in the US, however I have not been able to verify that. I also read that I can have an attorney who is licensed in US & Russia to provide a document proving he has searched and found no such marriage certificates for me, I guess this would also be notarized....

Does anyone know what documentation I can provide to prove I am free to marry? Which agency would provide it?

Thanks!

rubyrussia
21-11-2012, 09:25
First, you‘ll need a shirt, buddy. :)

Then go to the US Embassy website and read the instructions for how to get married in Russia. It‘s a fairly simple process.

Judge
21-11-2012, 22:26
Hi Marcus, some useful info in this thread.
http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=396201

Good luck.

marcus4928
22-11-2012, 01:49
First, you‘ll need a shirt, buddy. :)

Then go to the US Embassy website and read the instructions for how to get married in Russia. It‘s a fairly simple process.

Haha... Ok, yes I hear it's quite cold there now! The only real purpose of going to the US Embassy is to prove you are free to marry by signing there affidavit and having the foreign ministry authenticate it.

If ZAGS is correct, I do not have to make two trips to Russia 1) to sign affidavit and 2) wedding ceremony. ZAGS said my fiance can submit all of my paper work and I only need to be there on the scheduled ceremony date.

Any thoughts?

rubyrussia
22-11-2012, 09:29
Hi Marcus, some useful info in this thread.
http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=396201

Good luck.

Not sure how that thread would be helpful for him, Mr. Judge.

Marcus, where do y‘all plan on living? In Russia or the USA?

The problem with ZAGS request is that the document in America isn‘t typically issued as far as I know. You should pm a member of this forum named Russian Lad. He runs a Russian Bride website and probably has helped someone with your problem before. He may ask for some $ as consultancy. You should follow the procedure on the website depending on where you plan on living. Not to dismay you, but getting married will be the easiest part of your future together.

Good luck.

Judge
22-11-2012, 09:45

The thread is about an American citizen marrying a Russian citizen in Moscow, what papers are needed, which need to be translated and apostilled.

It's also got a link to the US Embassy website that you suggested, making it easier for the OP to find the page.Instead of pming RL, maybe the OP could PM
BabyFirefly, she won't ask for ''$ as consultancy'' lol...

with a little searching here's another thread about it.

http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=59040
there's even talk in this thread about not waiting 30 days but getting married the same day you apply this will save OP much time....but hey, like you said, maybe not helpful..

rubyrussia
22-11-2012, 23:11
It's also got a link to the US Embassy website that you suggested, making it easier for the OP to find the page.Instead of pming RL, maybe the OP could PM
BabyFirefly, she won't ask for ''$ as consultancy'' lol...

:)

with a little searching here's another thread about it.

http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=59040
there's even talk in this thread about not waiting 30 days but getting married the same day you apply this will save OP much time....but hey, like you said, maybe not helpful..

"Read the FAQ, your answer is in there" is a frustraiting answer many people get with computer problems, for example. Often the FAQ might talk about something similiar or even related but not address his specific issue.

One member, who is no longer on this forum hinted that he could help through pm avoid the wait. Perhaps he was referring to the practice of paying doctors money to claim pregnancy, thus skipping the wait period.

The main question our naked friend is asking is, how can he get a document from the USA that claims he is elibible to marry. He will need that regardless of whether he can skip the wait. My understanding is that the USA does not issue a document in the USA. This is the question he is trying to have answered, is not in the links you've posted.

It reminds me of the FAQ example I gave. :-)

BabyFirefly
23-11-2012, 02:16
You need to get a document from the embassy (if you're in Russia), that says you are free to marry. Then you go to ZAGS, pick a date, it's supposed to be after 30 days or something but if you have a medical reason or whatever they will give you a much sooner date. (In my case they let me get married a week after my first visit to ZAGS...). If you're in the US, I can't think of any agency itself that will give you a "free to marry" letter, although try a lawyer, get it translated into Russian, and notarized.

Do you two plan to live Stateside or in Russia? THis is very important, as the question of getting married or not can heavily depend on where you two want to live. If you want to live in the US and marry in the US, you NEED to apply for a K-1 visa (fiance visa); this is quicker than a marriage visa. If you really want to marry in Moscow, but after that live in the US, you need to apply for a CR1 visa. If you want to live in Russia, you'll need to live a life of constant visa runs until you get temporary residence in Russia. These are

rubyrussia
23-11-2012, 09:22
I went twice to Zags. I had to wait a total of 60 days. Maybe because it was summer?

BabyFirefly
23-11-2012, 10:00
I went twice to Zags. I had to wait a total of 60 days. Maybe because it was summer?

Yep, everyone wants to get married in summer, so it's that much more of a wait. I went to ZAGS on April 7 (second time, originally we were to be married on May 5, but my health just kept getting worse) and had a wedding date set for April 14.

rubyrussia
23-11-2012, 12:15
Did you ever get your health issues resolved?

BabyFirefly
23-11-2012, 20:45
Did you ever get your health issues resolved?

We've ruled out the worst of it, now it's just figuring out the ongoing treatment. Good news is that it's not as bad as we thought.

marcus4928
28-11-2012, 02:28
We do plan to live in the US, my fiance has had a hard time getting a visa so I decided it was easier for me to go there even thought it is easier to marry here. I think either K-1 visa or application for green card will take just as long. I am a US citizen so we do not have to wait for a visa number as they are unlimited for US citizens. I did read that an attorney who is licensed/certified to work in US & Russia can do an officiak search and can provide a document stating that there are no such marriage records for me. This will cut out one of the trips to Russia if it is true.

I chose to marry there because she can still get rejected for K-1 visa, where if we get married, we just have to prove it is a legitimate marriage in our interview.

Marcus, where do y‘all plan on living? In Russia or the USA?

The problem with ZAGS request is that the document in America isn‘t typically issued as far as I know. You should pm a member of this forum named Russian Lad. He runs a Russian Bride website and probably has helped someone with your problem before. He may ask for some $ as consultancy. You should follow the procedure on the website depending on where you plan on living. Not to dismay you, but getting married will be the easiest part of your future together.

Good luck.

marcus4928
28-11-2012, 03:43
I would prefer not to try and falsify any situation or documents...

BabyFirefly
28-11-2012, 06:21
We do plan to live in the US, my fiance has had a hard time getting a visa so I decided it was easier for me to go there even thought it is easier to marry here. I think either K-1 visa or application for green card will take just as long. I am a US citizen so we do not have to wait for a visa number as they are unlimited for US citizens. I did read that an attorney who is licensed/certified to work in US & Russia can do an officiak search and can provide a document stating that there are no such marriage records for me. This will cut out one of the trips to Russia if it is true.

I chose to marry there because she can still get rejected for K-1 visa, where if we get married, we just have to prove it is a legitimate marriage in our interview.

DO NOT USE AN IMMIGRATION LAWYER (unless you have previous crime records or she does or whatever); it's a huge waste of money for most cases, and they can't make anything faster for you, in fact, a bad lawyer will delay things if not worse. PM me and I'll tell you what to do if you decide to pursue a K-1 or a marriage visa (a green card), for free. I've been through the process once (marriage visa), went halfway with the fiance visa (we broke up), and dedicate myself to visas to an obsessive degree.