PDA

View Full Version : A day-trip from Moscow

Mary123
15-11-2012, 16:07
Hello friends,

Moscow is exiting and wonderful city, but there are other interesting attractions nearby. The largest Moscow region towns are just in 1 - 1,5 hours from the capital by train or bus. A return ticket is just something about 150-400 rubles. So there is no point to limit yourself to Moscow only.

Have a look at regional towns, attractions, and historical sites in my photo-travel blog: http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.com/ (http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.com/)

I would appreciate if you share your own travel experience with me too!!!
BR
Maria

RichardB
15-11-2012, 17:05
Nice blog :)

The place that sticks in my mind is Suzdhal. A stunning town with a beautiful kremlin, calm river to walk along and authentic wooden buildings.

mrzuzzo
15-11-2012, 17:28
Nice blog :)

The place that sticks in my mind is Suzdhal. A stunning town with a beautiful kremlin, calm river to walk along and authentic wooden buildings.

Ah yes, but Suzdal is actually in the Vladimir region.

My favorite "nearby" city is by far Yaroslavl - an absolutely gorgeous city that is not ruined by modern development of Moscow yet is clean and very European.

I've actually traveled quite a bit around Russia as a tourist but cannot find time to post the pictures of my travels, although I also keep a website for that sort of stuff: http://www.doubrovine.com/

Mary123
15-11-2012, 17:42
You can easily get to Suzdal from Moscow. There is a fast trains to Vladimir (about 2-3 hours trip). A bus runs to Suzdal every 30 min from the train station. (about 1 hour trip) But you will need to stay in a hotel at least overnight to see the most of attractions.

RichardB
15-11-2012, 17:42
This place is on my list of places to visit come summer time:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/beyond_moscow/plyos.html

mrzuzzo
15-11-2012, 17:50
I love Plyos! Although it has changed for the worst in recent years I find, a lot of the untouched charm is gone from that place.

I actually hitchhiked from Suzdal to Ivanovo to Plyos back in the day.

drbobguy
15-11-2012, 21:01
A favorite of mine that seems to get little attention in most guidebooks is Rostov Velikiy. Really beautiful and charming town, with a gorgeous monastery and kremlin. There is a hotel inside the kremlin, you can sleep in the kremlin walls with a nice view into the little courtyard, all for something like $40-$50 a night. Lake Nero is very pretty, and features in early Slavic chronicles, it's a great place to go to feel at least a glimpse of the Russian past.

RichardB
15-11-2012, 21:07
A favorite of mine that seems to get little attention in most guidebooks is Rostov Velikiy. Really beautiful and charming town, with a gorgeous monastery and kremlin. There is a hotel inside the kremlin, you can sleep in the kremlin walls with a nice view into the little courtyard, all for something like $40-$50 a night. Lake Nero is very pretty, and features in early Slavic chronicles, it's a great place to go to feel at least a glimpse of the Russian past.

Some lovely photos of it: Rostov Veliky - Google Search

Another nice town and near to RV is Uglich. Walking on the frozen Volga in February is quite surreal and the Volgskaya Riviera hotel is a very romantic hotel.

Judge
15-11-2012, 21:21
My favorite "nearby" city is by far Yaroslavl - an absolutely gorgeous city that is not ruined by modern development of Moscow yet is clean and very European.

[/url]

Agree with Yaroslavl, was there last week, had a great time. The old part of town is best, near the Kremlin and a nice walk along the Volga. Found a nice restaurant ''Vanilla Sky'' right near the river-boat station along the Volga,great views of the Volga.

If anyone want's to visit and doesn't have a car, there's an express train that leaves from train station Yaroslavl(7.30am, evening back to Moscow at 10pm, best check times though) ,decent comfy train, takes 3 1/2hrs ,stops once at Rostov, get the return the next day... Best place to stay is in one of the guesthouses in the old part of town.

mrzuzzo
15-11-2012, 21:26
I agree with you that it's a beautiful place, but to be honest I'm not all that into churches.

Most of the "things to see" in central Russia seem to be churches, churches, and more churches.

Double
15-11-2012, 21:32
You must register a .RU domain, let's fight for Patriotism )))

Ah yes, but Suzdal is actually in the Vladimir region.

I've actually traveled quite a bit around Russia as a tourist but cannot find time to post the pictures of my travels, although I also keep a website for that sort of stuff: http://www.doubrovine.com/

Judge
15-11-2012, 21:55
Same here, nice to see a few churches(from the outside), but some times it gets too much... When I visited Pskov I thought I was in an episode of the 'Twilight Zone', on nearly every street corner there's a church.Olga, the leader of Rus came from Pskov, she was the first ruler to convert to Christianity in Russia.
I just checked, there are over 40 churches in Pskov, and earlier there were much more.

One of the places I wanted to visit in Pskov was the house where Lenin ''laid the foundations for the clandestine national Marxist newspaper lskra '' but it was closed on the day.

http://vladstar.com/Pskov/

It's nice to visit a place that's got more than a Kremlin and Churches scattered around. I know you've been , Pereslavl-Zalessky is my favourite place close to Moscow.Many things to see and do besides visiting the Kremlin.
Pereslavl-Zalessky is best accessible by car, you can get a direct bus from Moscow, but no direct train, the locals voted NO for a train station, they don't want riff raff visiting their town.:fudd:

For members who would like to visit.
http://www.botik.ru/PZ/

Mary123
16-11-2012, 11:47
I'd advise you to visit Noginsk for civilian Art Nuovo, neoclassic, classic, and constructivism architecture. Besides, they have a lot of interesting wooden houses.
As to churches - we have them instead of castles. ;-) So usually they are the most ancient and striking.

Judge
16-11-2012, 21:05
A nice place to visit for a day that's not too far from Moscow is Abramtsevo .
There's an estate there where writers used to live and share their ideas.
You can spend a good part of the day walking around the estate.
The estate is about 20 mins walk from the train station.

Abramtsevo is now open to the public and tourists can wander along the many paths through the surrounding forest and cross the wooden bridges that served as an inspiration for the artists at the Abramtsevo Colony. They can also visit many of the buildings to see works produced by the artists at the colony, e.g., a wooden bathhouse in the shape of a traditional dwelling of Ancient Rus, designed by Ivan Ropet, and the House on Chicken Legs, a fairy-tale abode of an evil witch, Baba Yaga, designed by Vasnetsov. One building, the main "manor," is said to have been the model for the estate in which Anton Chekhov set The Cherry Orchard.

Abramtsevo Colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Periwinkle
16-11-2012, 23:38

Agree very pretty.

Periwinkle
16-11-2012, 23:39
I'd advise you to visit Noginsk for civilian Art Nuovo, neoclassic, classic, and constructivism architecture. Besides, they have a lot of interesting wooden houses.
As to churches - we have them instead of castles. ;-) So usually they are the most ancient and striking.

Where is it? Are you from there?

Kartoshka
17-11-2012, 10:49
Where is it?

It's about an hour from Moscow, in Moskovskii oblast. I was there once and it was a pretty place, not sure how much there is to do or see, though.

Mary123
17-11-2012, 12:59
A nice place to visit for a day that's not too far from Moscow is Abramtsevo .
There's an estate there where writers used to live and share their ideas.
You can spend a good part of the day walking around the estate.
The estate is about 20 mins walk from the train station.

Abramtsevo Colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramtsevo_Colony)
Yes, I absolutely agree with you. However, it is not the best time to visit it now. Abramtsevo's peak of the beauty is in autumn, in the nature's most colourful season in Russia.

Mary123
17-11-2012, 13:09
I am not from Noginsk, but recently I have been visiting the town. I liked its architecture and historical centre. They have restored the main square recently and added some fountains. I was amazed to find such a nice place in, well..., let's say an industrial town. You can see some photos of Noginsk photos in my blog http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2012/11/noginsk_12.html

okiey
17-11-2012, 14:16
Yaroslavl has to rank highest of places near Moscow to visit. But I also liked Kolomna, its really beautiful, particularly the Kremlin. BTW, Yaroslavl is unique among large Russian cities in that it does not have an actual Kremlin.

An interesting trip I took once, was to Tula ... it was for a weekend and the theme of the excursion was the lovers of Catherine the Great. You get to visit a lot of the estates and stately homes of the Orlov's and Dashkov's etc. Quite interesting with a good guide.

NeverLIT
17-11-2012, 14:52
Hi!)
I think Ivanovo is a good place to visit, it's about 2 hours away from Moscow. People call this city - The City of Brides) Also it's considered to be a textile capital of Russia. There are many beautiful buildings, like Horseshoe-house and Ship-house and of course Schudrovskaya palatka.

mrzuzzo
17-11-2012, 16:17
I would disagree with Ivanovo and Tula, they're both pretty depressing, dirty, and run-down.

Mary123
17-11-2012, 19:42
Have never been to Ivanovo, but I liked Tula. I don't think it have to be clean, gl**** concrete - to be pretty. However, I've been visiting it several years ago in summer. So It might have become much worse.
Regarding Kolomna, It really deserves visiting. I have only once been in the town, but soon going to visit it again. Will bring the photos, so you will see it too.

drbobguy
22-11-2012, 07:08
I would disagree with Ivanovo and Tula, they're both pretty depressing, dirty, and run-down.

Agreed that Tula proper has little to offer. Tula does have Tolstoi's estate outside of the town (Yasnaya Polyana). Also Tula has an excellent armaments museum, having been one of the centers of arms production in Imperial Russia.

One other thing, there a few "lesser" sites in Moscow Oblast that are interesting day trips. Like Serpukhov which has a somewhat pretty center. Or the Borodino battlefield which was a tactical victory but strategic defeat for Napoleon, and Monino, where the museum of the Soviet Air Force is located. There are others I'm sure.

Kartoshka
22-11-2012, 22:27
Tula is worth a visit simply for the Samovar Museum! It is very easy to get to from Moscow on public transport in one day - you can go by train, or by marshrutka from Domodedovskaya metro station.

drbobguy
23-11-2012, 04:19
Tula is worth a visit simply for the Samovar Museum! It is very easy to get to from Moscow on public transport in one day - you can go by train, or by marshrutka from Domodedovskaya metro station.

Also I almost completely forgot, you can try the famous Tula cakes (pryaniki).

Kartoshka
23-11-2012, 20:06
^ You can also buy these in Moscow. But they are cheaper in Tula.

Pops
26-11-2012, 23:10
I agree with the churches and kremlins - its all the same and what to do then?

So my usual way of dealing with this moment of boredom is hit the first restaurant which is underground and Russian. Sit there and enjoy good Russian food which seems elusive in Moscow. Best accompanied by a bottle of vodka and have friends start to terrorize the locals by asking them questions in broken Russian. After a few smiles ask them where to go sing karaoke and from there its off to the races. That is what Russia is about - fun, singing and drinking. Ofcoarse a comfortable banja in the morning is not only odd to the Russians, but an instant cure from the excessive vodka, finished mere hours before.
Is it safe? I have no idea, but last week I was getting hugged, by a group of people I would never want to meet volunteerly at night, after a wonderful rendition of John Denver's Take Me Home. They cheery lads even dedicated a song to the "American Table" at five in the morning, even though there was only one American.
Enjoy it, soon a Starbucks will open nearby and people will feel uneasy about singing in public. Then it will be time to move to Kamchatka.

What a ridiculous rant.......:bash:

Tatiana545
27-11-2012, 10:19
Everything i tried for a day-trip from Moscow is already mentioned here! So I would just like to comment on several destinations. Among my favourites are:
1. Pereslavl
2. Rostov Velikiy
3. Yaroslavl
4. Vladimir
5. Suzdal
6. Kilomna
7. Tula

But, although Tula itself does seem a bit depressing, it has 3 great museums: Samovars, Pryanik (honeycake) and Weapons. I found Kremlin also interesting - it looks like a miniature version of the Moscow Kremlin, and they have a torture museum. But the must-see place is surely Yasnaya Polyana - just 10-15 min by car from Tula. This is a truly awesome place, you can walk or you can take a horse, and the excursions are very exciting! The greates drawback of Tula and Yasnaya Polyana is that you have to book almost everything in advance and to make sure all places you want to visit are open. Otherwise you will be greatly dissapointed by travelling in vain.

As for Kolomna - it is one of my greatest recent surprises. When I was small I used to go to the summer camp near Kolomna and I remeber it as a a small empty boring town with no tourist infrastructure whatsoever. But now it has changed dramatically - they have a superb "Pastila Museum" (kind of old-Russian organic marshmallow) and there are a lot of other places to visit.

Desert Addict
01-12-2012, 15:24
Hi All,

We are finalizing at the moment a startup focussing on all sorts of Adventure trips in Russia with English guidance... snow mobile, hiking, rafting, 4x4, quads, etc...

Hope to be able to give you some advice from Januari on for a fun day/weekend/week(s) out of the city:)

Mary123
01-12-2012, 20:49
As for Kolomna - it is one of my greatest recent surprises. When I was small I used to go to the summer camp near Kolomna and I remeber it as a a small empty boring town with no tourist infrastructure whatsoever. But now it has changed dramatically - they have a superb "Pastila Museum" (kind of old-Russian organic marshmallow) and there are a lot of other places to visit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you. I've just returned from Kolomna. It is a nice place to have a walk even in a late autumn like now. The centre is very clean. They've made a huge renovation work. A bit overdone in some places, but I really enjoyed my walk. There is a nice cafe/ restaurant "Nameki" which has pancakes with meat stuffing in bechamel sauce and cheese in menu... Mama mia.... I will do it myself now... Yummy -yummy.
Here is the link to my blog, with photos, as I've promiced earlier.
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2012/12/kolomna.html

Judge
02-12-2012, 00:00
As for Kolomna - it is one of my greatest recent surprises. When I was small I used to go to the summer camp near Kolomna and I remeber it as a a small empty boring town with no tourist infrastructure whatsoever. But now it has changed dramatically - they have a superb "Pastila Museum" (kind of old-Russian organic marshmallow) and there are a lot of other places to visit.

Yes, I agree with you. I've just returned from Kolomna. It is a nice place to have a walk even in a late autumn like now. The centre is very clean. They've made a huge renovation work. A bit overdone in some places, but I really enjoyed my walk. There is a nice cafe/ restaurant "Nameki" which has pancakes with meat stuffing in bechamel sauce and cheese in menu... Mama mia.... I will do it myself now... Yummy -yummy.
Here is the link to my blog, with photos, as I've promiced earlier.
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2012/12/kolomna.html

People who live inside the Moscow bubble are missing out on so much..

Do you know anymore interesting places?

Mary123
02-12-2012, 14:30
Thanks Judge,

I've just recently started to travel in Moscow region and it's close vicinities. And found out that there are many nice places around Moscow. The only problem now is the weather...

For the present conditions I'd really advise Kolomna - not very touristy yet, but all the pleasures in place. Architecture. Monasteries. Museums. Restaurants.

Sergiev Posad is good at any weather too. It is a very impressive religious site with one of the main church complexes (Lavra) in the region and a very rich history. There is a crafts market near the Lavra which is the biggest on weekends. There are museums as well. But too many tourists.

Dmitrov has a new interesting historical museum with sections dedicated to rural life, soviet period and WW2. However its architectural heritage is not that wide as in Kolomna and its state is not that good.

For the people who like religious sites and have already been in Sergiev Posad I'd advise Zvenigorod. It's monastery is not that big, but in superb condition. There is a museum with English speaking guides, natural springs (one of them with a cold bath, so take a towel), fresh sweet air. But you really have to like walking to go to Zvenigorod.

moscow777
04-12-2012, 10:12
Sure, why not?

mrzuzzo
04-12-2012, 10:59
I just don't like monasteries or churches so that is my biggest issue with traveling in Russia. I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me which is why they'd rather travel abroad - the sightseeing abroad seems far more diverse.

On the other hand, I want to go to Sochi and Krasnodar. Never been to the south of Russia.

Mary123
04-12-2012, 14:12
I just don't like monasteries or churches so that is my biggest issue with traveling in Russia. I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me which is why they'd rather travel abroad - the sightseeing abroad seems far more diverse.

On the other hand, I want to go to Sochi and Krasnodar. Never been to the south of Russia.

I wonder why do not you like churches and monasteries? Religion? People? Recent events? As for me, the churches are human made social institutions. And I recognize craftsmen's, builders', painters', and architect's efforts in churches same as in any other building. In my view religious purpose doesn't cancel an aesthetic value of the whole place. Nonetheless, I agree that they tend to be repetitive. Yet there are just "must to see" places, such as Sergiev Posad.

I've been to Sochi many years ago - and I it was a pleasant place to walk with a big beautiful park. However, now it is an Olympic building site, so I am not sure. Hey...expats...are there anyone in Sochi? What is going on now?

FatAndy
04-12-2012, 15:54
Rostov-Krasnodar is better. Or vice versa. Sochi is the construction site till 2014.

mrzuzzo
04-12-2012, 16:33
I wonder why do not you like churches and monasteries? Religion? People? Recent events? As for me, the churches are human made social institutions. And I recognize craftsmen's, builders', painters', and architect's efforts in churches same as in any other building. In my view religious purpose doesn't cancel an aesthetic value of the whole place. Nonetheless, I agree that they tend to be repetitive. Yet there are just "must to see" places, such as Sergiev Posad.

Completely agree with that but it's just too boring and repetitive. I like more lively sightseeing, something that makes me feel more energized.

I've been to Sochi many years ago - and I it was a pleasant place to walk with a big beautiful park. However, now it is an Olympic building site, so I am not sure. Hey...expats...are there anyone in Sochi? What is going on now?

Probably best to go after the Olympics but still really want to head down there, maybe some expats will finally get together and do a motorcycle trip to Sochi from Moscow.

Mary123
15-12-2012, 21:56
Here is just another destination for you. A former very red revolutionary town, which now is in favour with big international brands.

http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2012/12/yegoryevsk.html

While was wondering about the town I found an English pub... It seems, due to economic hardships some pubs have migrated to Russia (the photo attached). :-)))) I wonder what's next?

Benedikt
16-12-2012, 03:41

it was so many years back, so the -details- have slipped my mind. but it was a bus out of Moscow, than another bus and than a small narrow gauge railway. and than in the middle of the forest there was this huge old cccp time shunting yard ( Stalin had built it after the war) and a few railway fanatics. they were restoring old locos and wagons there and even had a short track running where they did trips for tourists, about a mile long. at that day i was the only one there, so i had everything to myself. we had a few good -zakuski- with salo and vodka, the guys were chaved how a single foreigner would find the place all by himself.

Getting back was a horrifying story, it was the last bus to Sergei Posad and there was ONE bus and about 100 people. and i was the only foreigner in the crowd and wanted to go back as well... i was pulled into the office by the -station master- he put a ticket into my hand, not taking any money and i was put on then us by himself. ( than i saw from somewhere another 2 old wheezing busses had been pulled out from a depot somewhere and we all could go back. what a relief. and i did not feel to and about it, been given the VIP treatment).
(Since this was not the time yet of digital photography i have photos in an album somewhere of that story, but not being at home i cant scan them and show them.)

I than arrived very late back in Moscow but it was great fun.

These days i did it very often. took the Metro out to the last stop.Than any bus that went out even further. And if at the end was another bus, i took that as well. Coming back was always fun,;) because we were always MANY who took the last bus back to catch the last Metro back to Moscow....

rusmeister
16-12-2012, 07:11
I agree with you that it's a beautiful place, but to be honest I'm not all that into churches.

Most of the "things to see" in central Russia seem to be churches, churches, and more churches.

I think there is something many people don't see in that; to paraphrase what Mr Spock said in the second Star Trek film, "Their vision indicates two-dimensional thinking."

An entire nation built churches for a thousand years - and not so much a wealthy elite, but ordinary people everywhere, for centuries, put a great deal of effort into building their churches, more than into building their own homes.

Not that you are, but to suggest that they were victims of mind control (acting mindlessly due to control by religious leaders) is truly a failure of the historical imagination and would sell them short. In general, the people can be fooled for a time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time, as Lincoln is credited with saying, and if the Soviet philosophy WAS founded on sand and eventually shown to be bankrupt, a millennium really IS "all the time".

So there's something these many generations of Russians saw that was good and true that the modern tourist very often doesn't see, and something deep in the fact of all these churches that is very worth seeing.

mrzuzzo
16-12-2012, 15:07
So there's something these many generations of Russians saw that was good and true that the modern tourist very often doesn't see, and something deep in the fact of all these churches that is very worth seeing.

Rus, I don't have an issue with churches. But there are only so many churches I can handle per trip. All I'm trying to say is that I prefer something more diverse in my travels.

Benedikt
16-12-2012, 15:23
Rus, I don't have an issue with churches. But there are only so many churches I can handle per trip. All I'm trying to say is that I prefer something more diverse in my travels.

or at least go check out the local shops. amazing things you still can find here.
but the central market is the best place for me. and since i am not afraid of talking to people soon the fun starts. and mentioning that i am a Chef always helps. best place to see are the stands with smoked things and salo. no way that i will let go past without tasting any of the local specialities. still smoked, not just basted with -liquid smoke- and done in 30 minutes.
when working on the ships in Siberia i had ( together with my tourists) the greatest fun at the local market. we followed our noses and where there was crowd around a stall it for sure must have been good otherwise the -locals- would not have been there. and being mostly men, the ladies went shopping, we always hit the local bivnushka and had a great time. fair enough quite a bit was also professional courtesy, the owners know the ships come back every 10 days, but the locals were natural. Russia is not only Moscow and St.Petes indeed and more than Churches, one just has to know where and how to look.

Mary123
16-12-2012, 21:31
And... I'd like to add, that almost everything on the market you can taste. You need just to let the seller know that you are interested, but not sure how it is tastes... Half of them will be happy to see how the foreigner will be eating something like a salted cucumber or a marinated cabbage.
;-)))

Mary123
16-12-2012, 21:46

it was so many years back, so the -details- have slipped my mind. but it was a bus out of Moscow, than another bus and than a small narrow gauge railway. and than in the middle of the forest there was this huge old cccp time shunting yard ( Stalin had built it after the war) and a few railway fanatics. they were restoring old locos and wagons there and even had a short track running where they did trips for tourists, about a mile long. at that day i was the only one there, so i had everything to myself. we had a few good -zakuski- with salo and vodka, the guys were chaved how a single foreigner would find the place all by himself.

Getting back was a horrifying story, it was the last bus to Sergei Posad and there was ONE bus and about 100 people. and i was the only foreigner in the crowd and wanted to go back as well... i was pulled into the office by the -station master- he put a ticket into my hand, not taking any money and i was put on then us by himself. ( than i saw from somewhere another 2 old wheezing busses had been pulled out from a depot somewhere and we all could go back. what a relief. and i did not feel to and about it, been given the VIP treatment).
(Since this was not the time yet of digital photography i have photos in an album somewhere of that story, but not being at home i cant scan them and show them.)

I than arrived very late back in Moscow but it was great fun.

These days i did it very often. took the Metro out to the last stop.Than any bus that went out even further. And if at the end was another bus, i took that as well. Coming back was always fun,;) because we were always MANY who took the last bus back to catch the last Metro back to Moscow....

No photos...what a pity...

These days we also have a night gap in buses and electric trains... It is not that huge as in past, but after 22-00 you are risking to stuck till 05-00, though depends on town.

Besides, I'd say, there is nothing dreadful about staying overnight in Sergiev Posad. Even in Soviet times they had a couple of hotels.

Benedikt
17-12-2012, 07:41
Besides, I'd say, there is nothing dreadful about staying overnight in Sergiev Posad. Even in Soviet times they had a couple of hotels.[/QUOTE]

but sometimes i was out in little villages where there was no hotel or even a guesthouse. the last bus was there about 5 or 6 in the after noon, in summer it was about 8 and that was it. while i ma sure i would ahve found a bed to sleep, or in summer get into a barn and crawl into the hay, spring or fall would ahve been another story. in winter i was always careful not to venture out to far.

Mary123
17-12-2012, 11:49
Yes, in winter everyone needs to be careful, even today...

Mary123
01-01-2013, 22:41
Here is a new destination in Moscow region. It might looks better in summer, but those who like winter fishing or horse riding will like it for sure. There is also a special hotel for hunters and fisherman.
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2013/01/mozhaysk.html

Mary123
14-02-2013, 15:17
Hi friends,

I have two new destinations for you:

1) Serpukhov http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2013/02/serpukhov.html - A town with a very good art museum. It has large collection of Russian and European painting. A lot of pretty churches and 2 monasteries, both claim to keep a wonder-making Icon (The Inexhaustible Cup - Неупиваемая чаша), which helps to get rid form drinking.

2) Prioksko-Terrasny Nature Reserve
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2013/01/prioksko-terrasny-reserve.html - Nature, wild animals and fresh air. Good for family visits.

Happy weekend,
Maria

Uvw
07-03-2013, 18:02
IsTula? The town itself is nice, and you can always go to Yasnaya Polyana where Leo Tolstoy lived.

mrzuzzo
07-03-2013, 18:17
IsTula? The town itself is nice, and you can always go to Yasnaya Polyana where Leo Tolstoy lived.

Not much is nice about Tula...

Mary123
10-03-2013, 11:31
Not so sure....
Going to check it out this summer :-)

Mary123
20-04-2013, 18:38
Meanwhile see
1) Podolsk. Great Soviet legacy. Constructivism. Stalin Empire style. Zinger&Co
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2013/04/podolsk.html

2)Melikhovo. A Chekhov's retreat in Moscow region. Best to visit in summer, though.
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2013/03/melikhovo.html

3)Ascension Davidís hermitage and its Talezh metochion. Good in any season. Year round plunge pool for brave and healthy (excluding Mondays).
http://marysrussiaguide.blogspot.ru/2013/02/ascension-davids-hermitage-and-its.html

Will be glad to answer your questions.
BR
Maria

Benedikt
20-04-2013, 19:35
Another nice town and near to RV is Uglich. Walking on the frozen Volga in February is quite surreal and the Volgskaya Riviera hotel is a very romantic hotel.[/QUOTE]

when in Uglich check out the Vodka museum and the Museum of Prisoners Art.
can't remember the street name, but when we came from/with the ship it was a five minutes walk.
You also can,if you wish, be -locked up- in a prison cell, just to see how it feels to be there in solitary for years and years, with maybe an hour a day for a walk.
and being a Chef, the central market was always a stop over. still strictly ccccp set up, unfortunately western prices for many things.
but they had the best fresh berries and mushrooms.and tons of candies, took the ships tourists there , and we cleared out a stand or two for sure.
unfortunately we only had a stop over of four hours, so my time to explore was limited.