PDA

View Full Version : Which SIM?

Nobbynumbnuts
08-11-2012, 09:02
I'm coming to Russia (Moscow and provincial city) and will need a SIM. I will only be there a month at most. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to make calls? I don't need Internet access.

Cheers

okiey
08-11-2012, 11:15
If you don't need Internet, then Tele2 is the definitely the best option.

FatAndy
08-11-2012, 11:24
If you don't need Internet, then Tele2 is the definitely the best option.
Tele2 is not present in Moscow. And in some other areas too:
http://www.ru.tele2.ru/coveragemap.html
But yes, they have cheeap offers.

I'd took one of big three, no matter which. They're equally good (or bad ;)).

okiey
08-11-2012, 12:05

Ooops, didn't realise its not available in Moscow, sorry about that:-)

Nobbynumbnuts
08-11-2012, 12:39

Cheers Andy, are 'pre Paid' Sim's a worthwhile option?

martpark
08-11-2012, 12:58

Yeah. I've used one for years.

FatAndy
08-11-2012, 14:05
I have a couple for regional visits, yes, they're not bad. You will have no option - only prepaid, postpaid contracts AFAIK they do only with residents.

Nobbynumbnuts
08-11-2012, 14:07
Cheers for the info.

FatAndy
08-11-2012, 14:18
NP.
If you'll arrive by air via SVO, then in skywalk gallery from E terminal to Aeroexpress trains platforms there are MTS and Megafon offices, maybe Beeline too, as same as Euroset and Svyaznoy are dropped around in terminals (they both do all ops). MTS stand table is also under the arch exit of Belorussky train station where "northern" Aeroexpress arrives.

The same is for DME - various service points in their one, but big terminal in airport itself, and some others in Paveletsky train station where "southern" Aeroexpress arrives. Also, by a long underpass from the left side of the station square you get to another exit of metro (circle line) and there are Euroset and Svyaznoy too, 1-floor building just off the underpass.

Kartoshka
08-11-2012, 19:04
Just buy a SIM card from any mobile phone shop. They usually ask to see your passport, so make sure to take it with you. I bought a SM from Megafon two months ago; it cost 200 roubles and came with 200 roubles credit on it. Then you just top up as and when needed, again at any mobile phone shop or at a payment machine. It is very easy to do, just give your mobile phone number and the money!

DocHudson
08-11-2012, 23:14
I'm coming to Russia (Moscow and provincial city) and will need a SIM. I will only be there a month at most. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to make calls? I don't need Internet access.

Cheers

I'm a VIP client of MTS. I'm STRICTLY not recommend You this provider. Megafon is much more reliable and cheap option.

FatAndy
09-11-2012, 14:28
Just buy a SIM card from any mobile phone shop. They usually ask to see your passport, so make sure to take it with you. I bought a SM from Megafon two months ago; it cost 200 roubles and came with 200 roubles credit on it. Then you just top up as and when needed, again at any mobile phone shop or at a payment machine. It is very easy to do, just give your mobile phone number and the money!

Not only at a payment machine (автомат приёма платежей), but any of banks ATMs too. Moreover, almost all mobile ops offer autopay service (i.e. via личный кабинет on their website you enter your plastic card details and when your mobile op account reaches minimal sum, they write off next 200-300-500 rub off your plastic account to mobile account). You may top up it also via cashier of Perekrestok (and also Karusel and other X5 retails, very probably others too) when buying foods - just ask cashier person.