PDA

View Full Version : Bus explodes in Togliatti, Part 2

Fantastika
31-10-2007, 20:02
I knew it! I knew the US media would twist this story:

Here's the quote from AP (Associated Press):

"The Volga River city is headquarters to Russia's largest carmaker, AvtoVAZ and has a reputation for gang violence as varying groups have competed for control over the lucrative state-owned factory."

"Gang violence"? What the hell are they talking about? I have never seen any gangs here, for past 2 years, anywhere...

"Groups" (implying "gangs") are trying to take over VAZ? Huh?

"Lucrative" state-owned factory? Lucrative? Sales are plummeting, everyone here is buying Toyota, they are trying to figure out how to improve quality to avoid bankruptcy, etc...

I suppose if the AP stringer would actually come here to Togliatti, maybe he could write something truthful, instead for writing fiction from Moscow hotel room...

And:

In 1999, just three months before national elections, several residential buildings in Moscow and other Russian towns exploded, killing hundreds. Opposition activists and Kremlin critics said the government used the blasts to justify sending federal troops back into violence-wracked Chechnya, launching the second war in a decade in the region.

But AP is only criticizing Russian response to terrorist acts, does not criticize the terrorist acts themselves. AP ignores the fact that Chechnyan terrorists dynamited the buildings, of course there was a response, and of course AP ignores that fact that Chechnya was entered again, mainly because the terrorists, I mean newly independent Chechnya "government," decided to extend their "liberation efforts" into Dagestan...

Margo
01-11-2007, 00:01
did your friends-relatives call you to know you are safe and sound?
We used to call to Jerusalem every time we heard about some explosion there. And our relatives always told us - don't watch TV.
Unfortunately after sometime they also had to call us to find out if we were ok.
About that article in AP - press is always like that and you took it that serious just because you live there and know better. Imagine how many other bullsh*t they give and you may be take it as truth just because you don't know and can't catch them on being not precise.

Clean32
01-11-2007, 00:14
well it can be handy at times like when the grandfather rings at $2.30 usd a minit, that he cant aford, i just say sorry have to go take cover, the Mafia are shooting at the cops again shhhyyy. but then thanks to the press he would not beleve anything else, shame realy and he a bit past it to correct eather.

Fantastika
01-11-2007, 00:17
did your friends-relatives call you to know you are safe and sound?
We used to call to Jerusalem every time we heard about some explosion there. And our relatives always told us - don't watch TV.
Unfortunately after sometime they also had to call us to find out if we were ok.
About that article in AP - press is always like that and you took it that serious just because you live there and know better. Imagine how many other bullsh*t they give and you may be take it as truth just because you don't know and can't catch them on being not precise.

Ha ha, sorry it is not funny, but ironic, now they call you....

My parents don't know how to make overseas call...for many Americans, the world ends at US borders, it is another planet overseas... :)

Margo
01-11-2007, 00:40
Ha ha, sorry it is not funny, but ironic, now they call you....

My parents don't know how to make overseas call...for many Americans, the world ends at US borders, it is another planet overseas... :)

Then you've answered your own question - if mostly nobody knows where this place Togliatti situated then all facts and details can be put together and even calling VAZ lucrative doesn't seem ridiculous. So what other way for stringer to attract somebody's attention to this news.

What I'm trying to say - if you somehow involved and compare what you know to what other can get from papers or TV would definitely upset you.

Fantastika
01-11-2007, 00:58
Then you've answered your own question - if mostly nobody knows where this place Togliatti situated then all facts and details can be put together and even calling VAZ lucrative doesn't seem ridiculous. So what other way for stringer to attract somebody's attention to this news.

What I'm trying to say - if you somehow involved and compare what you know to what other can get from papers or TV would definitely upset you.

I have the cable TV (it comes with apartment) haven't watched it for two months, until today... :)

It's fascinating, how with SMS text message, everyone knows everything minutes after it happens... I was going to go there with my videocamera, but I heard police were confiscating cameras...

Anyway, I wrote e-mail letter to my small-town US newspaper, tell them that AP doesn't tell whole story, maybe they will even print it......

Being upset is my stable condition. God forbid I should get bored and complacent.... :)

Benedikt
01-11-2007, 14:32
and htey are at present not (yet) excluding anything
either a terrorist attack
selling a score between gangs
or a prank gone horriblly wrong (transporting explosives on the bus, since it is being used mainly by students, one cause/ reason for the disaster).
not being a wiseguy but it is not the first time that in university /school labs ( and NOT only in russia) students come up with all kinds of things when they get bored or get ideas.

Fantastika
01-11-2007, 17:57
and htey are at present not (yet) excluding anything
either a terrorist attack
selling a score between gangs
or a prank gone horriblly wrong (transporting explosives on the bus, since it is being used mainly by students, one cause/ reason for the disaster).
not being a wiseguy but it is not the first time that in university /school labs ( and NOT only in russia) students come up with all kinds of things when they get bored or get ideas.

Police said they have found suspect (don't say whether he is alive/dead).

Another item, they found "nails" in the "suspects" apartment, similar to the kind used in bomb. So it appears the bomb was very malicious - spreading-shrapnel type of bomb - which accounts for head and body injuries to bystanders...

Whatever, the AP and other media speculation that it is a battle between "rival gangs" for control of VAZ seems ridiculous... what could they gain by blowing up bus, just as 20 students exited, just before it got to university?