PDA

View Full Version : Russians sue Madonna for $10.7 million for promoting queers!

Jas
17-10-2012, 21:24
I can't say I'm a big fan of Madonna, but I do like her stance on certain issues and stuff. Yet plenty in Russia don't. So why did they go to her concert in St. Petersburg and then start a court case against her?
St.Petersburg seems especially retarded in its approach to the modern world having adopted a law that tells anyone promoting lesbian, tg, or gay rights can be prosecuted.
One group of "local citizens" who attended the concert was so outraged of Madonna's promotion of lesbian and gay rights that they are now claiming psychological damage on the basis that Madonna called for tolerance.
Wow.
I reckon the whole thing was a set up from the start and what we really have here are a bunch of religious right lunatics intent on promoting intolerance and who cudn't care less as to how this nonsense affects Russia's image abroad.
In me own opinion, this law banning so called promotion of lesbian and gay rights is a total joke. This farce promotes hatred against a section of people already marginalized within Russian society. The next hearing is October 25th and I wud be delighted if Madonna rises to the bait and takes these people on.

rubyrussia
17-10-2012, 21:57
I'd have to read the fine print on the lawsuit and not just take your word for it, but I'd say at face value, I side with the Russian government probably. Madonna probably doesn't know ANYTHING about Russia other than what CNN and perhaps the BBC repeat which is biased nonsense most of the time. If you're going to share an opinion and you're famous, you better be informed.

Westerners need to be aware of what the law is in the country they travel to. If she really wanted to make a statement, she should have cancelled her Moscow concert, got on the airwaves and condemned Vladimir Putin, and perhaps even sent some money for their legal representation... that to me is much better than what she did.

Even if you support what people refer to as "gay rights", which I don't btw, this is not the way to do it.

okiey
17-10-2012, 23:05
When in Rome act as Romans.

Jas
17-10-2012, 23:42
And these people were just so so so offended by what Madonna said... they deserve over $10 million for the injuries to their psyche? FARCE.

okiey
17-10-2012, 23:53
And these people were just so so so offended by what Madonna said... they deserve over $10 million for the injuries to their psyche? FARCE.

I agree with you .... they should have known what to expect before going.

When in Rome act as Romans runs true on both counts: Madonna should know better before stirring things in Russia. But, at the same time, normal people go to concerts to view artists they like ... hence, these guys also have no grounds to claim offence at what was aired at a Madonna concert. They knew well what to expect.

Russian Lad
18-10-2012, 01:35
It is not all Russians, it is some crazy people in Saint Pete here, a really crazy local law was passed to persecute for "advertisement of gay movement".

BabyFirefly
18-10-2012, 02:55
At least the Russians know their values damn right, get a few million from the person while you can! *eyeroll*

rusmeister
18-10-2012, 07:47
At least the Russians know their values damn right, get a few million from the person while you can! *eyeroll*

I am afraid that that is the attitude, certainly of the civil authorities and opportunists.

The thing to establish is that she openly and premeditatively defied Russian law, and to deny her a visa for the next five or ten years, or until it is clear that she has changed her stand and has no further intent to defy Russian law.

Jas, your expression of the situation is at least as one-sided, and less fair, than that of those who disagree with you. I agree with you that this particular reaction is foolish. But when you say that condemnation of homosexual behavior "promotes hate" and "intolerance", you are merely being partisan - which may not be a bad thing to be, IF you understand your opponents' position and show that you do... but you don't. If someone wants to promote something else that you and I AGREE is wrong, such as bestiality or pedophilia, they can use the same language on the same basis to tell us not to condemn what they want approved. And in that case you can SEE that nobody "hates" the "lover" of animals or children, but that we DO think what they want approved intensely wrong and bad for society. It is the inability to conceive of this that is truly bigotry, for we DO think some things morally wrong, and that moral wrongs ought NOT to be tolerated. And if they ARE wrong, there can be no talk of people having "a right" to do it or speaking of the pedophile, animal copulator or alcoholic as a "class" of oppressed people.

onetimer
19-10-2012, 13:46
Russian "church" people really scary me. :cry:

Jas
19-10-2012, 13:55

I like only icons of the Virgin. It's the men who don't get it.

Jas
19-10-2012, 13:58
I am afraid that that is the attitude, certainly of the civil authorities and opportunists.

The thing to establish is that she openly and premeditatively defied Russian law, and to deny her a visa for the next five or ten years, or until it is clear that she has changed her stand and has no further intent to defy Russian law.

Jas, your expression of the situation is at least as one-sided, and less fair, than that of those who disagree with you. I agree with you that this particular reaction is foolish. But when you say that condemnation of homosexual behavior "promotes hate" and "intolerance", you are merely being partisan - which may not be a bad thing to be, IF you understand your opponents' position and show that you do... but you don't. If someone wants to promote something else that you and I AGREE is wrong, such as bestiality or pedophilia, they can use the same language on the same basis to tell us not to condemn what they want approved. And in that case you can SEE that nobody "hates" the "lover" of animals or children, but that we DO think what they want approved intensely wrong and bad for society. It is the inability to conceive of this that is truly bigotry, for we DO think some things morally wrong, and that moral wrongs ought NOT to be tolerated. And if they ARE wrong, there can be no talk of people having "a right" to do it or speaking of the pedophile, animal copulator or alcoholic as a "class" of oppressed people.

Rus, peadoes are illegal and despised for the damage they do- and this is right of course. Why equate being lesbian with that? Can't u see that ure comparing apples and oranges? Seriously. And ure claiming we're the bigots?

FatAndy
19-10-2012, 14:09
St.Petersburg seems especially retarded in its approach to the modern world having adopted a law that tells anyone promoting lesbian, tg, or gay rights between minors

can be prosecuted..
Yes. http://www.gov.spb.ru:3000/noframe/law?d&nd=537913971&prevDoc=891831166

In me own opinion, this law banning so called promotion of lesbian and gay rights [between minors - FA ;)] is a total joke.
You may easily check if your opinion right or not - SPb is less than 2h of flight from Kazan': ;)
http://rasp.yandex.ru/search/?toName=%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA%D1%82-%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B3&fromName=%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%8C&when=%D0%BD%D0%B0%C2%A0%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%B5+%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8&prev_date=2012-10-19&toId=c2&fromId=c43

This farce promotes hatred against a section of people
No.

already marginalized within Russian society.
Yes.

Jas
19-10-2012, 14:21
between minors

Yes. http://www.gov.spb.ru:3000/noframe/law?d&nd=537913971&prevDoc=891831166

You may easily check if your opinion right or not - SPb is less than 2h of flight from Kazan': ;)
http://rasp.yandex.ru/search/?toName=%D0%A1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA%D1%82-%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B3&fromName=%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%8C&when=%D0%BD%D0%B0%C2%A0%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%B5+%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8&prev_date=2012-10-19&toId=c2&fromId=c43

No.

Yes.

Andy, hi! Madonna definetly never suggested in any way that sex (of any kind) wud be ok between minors- and yet she is getting sued. I think the issue about minors is just a ploy to silence normal social development towards greater freedom and tolerance.

Jas
19-10-2012, 14:24
Not funny putting words in my mouth, Andy. Huh, I just saw that now.

FatAndy
19-10-2012, 14:30
Andy, hi! Madonna definetly never suggested in any way that sex (of any kind) wud be ok between minors- and yet she is getting sued.
It is her (and her lawyers) problems.

I think the issue about minors is just a ploy to silence normal social development towards greater freedom and tolerance.
Read the link I've posted - it is not issue, but words of law.
What you think - it is your own business. ;)

FatAndy
19-10-2012, 14:32
Not funny putting words in my mouth, Andy. Huh, I just saw that now.
I've specially put these words in bold and put a smile. Now I've just added brackets and FA as my correction.

Jas
19-10-2012, 14:49
I've specially put these words in bold and put a smile. Now I've just added brackets and FA as my correction.

Yes I know, just joking and stuff....
People think I don't get jokes somehow...

rusmeister
19-10-2012, 16:16

Dunno if that's aimed at me...
I'm not Russian.
I would remove my fangs feom my avatar, if I had any...

rusmeister
19-10-2012, 17:35
Rus, peadoes are illegal and despised for the damage they do- and this is right of course. Why equate being lesbian with that? Can't u see that ure comparing apples and oranges? Seriously. And ure claiming we're the bigots?

On your three questions,
1) I did not "equate". I drew an analogy using something we both (at present) agree is evil. I think a significant portion of people who now think it evil will gradually cease to do so in the near future; if they don't, their children surely will.
2) indeed - apples and oranges are both fruits. Both sweet. Both have skins that can be peeled, and seeds. And so on.
3) if the shoe fits, wear it. A bigot is effectively someone who can't understand a position that disagrees with his. The great thing is to be able to understand and disagree.

Benedikt
20-10-2012, 09:07
St.Petersburg seems especially retarded in its approach to the modern world having adopted a law that tells anyone promoting lesbian, tg, or gay rights can be prosecuted.

after they die of smoking 40 a day for 30 years?
why they gob down 5 big macs and 2 liters coke every day and sue the McD people for obesity?
Peterburger's are not retarded, they are only catching up what Americans do all the time. Suing everything and everybody for zillions and trillions. and do you think any of these shyster lawyers will stop it or discourage it? of course not, because they make millions out of it.