PDA

View Full Version : Mood swings

bluemoon
29-10-2007, 23:04
I want some general pointers where to go to seek help to control mood swings so i can be more positive and less negative, herbal, chinese cures, diet, herbal treatments, what ever might help

Clean32
29-10-2007, 23:06
get fitt, for real it works, dount have to do much just the 15 20 mints a day thing

MickeyTong
30-10-2007, 12:19
Hi Bluemoon
Good advice from Clean32.
How extreme are these mood swings, and how frequent? How long have they been a feature of your life? Is there anything in your personal circumstances that could be causing them?
I'm a mental health liaison nurse: if you want, PM me.
Good luck

xyz
30-10-2007, 13:11
This is a fact that happens to almost everybody here. I hear this as a common complaint from those who live in Moscow. Does the climate, language and geography plays an important role in this ?

WisconsinHockey13
28-11-2007, 13:36
Where did you live before? Have you ever considered Seasonal Affected Disorder?

Albertina
29-11-2007, 00:30
The best is NOT to seek advice from non-professionals. There are dosens possible reasons you have it: SAD, depression, hormonal changes, ADD, bipolar(!), psychological issues, etc. There is only one right way to start: consult a professional like psychiatrist or simply a therapist.
Good luck and all the best!

MickeyTong
24-12-2007, 04:17
The best is NOT to seek advice from non-professionals. There are dosens possible reasons you have it: SAD, depression, hormonal changes, ADD, bipolar(!), psychological issues, etc. There is only one right way to start: consult a professional like psychiatrist or simply a therapist.
Good luck and all the best!

I'm a mental health professional.....with 18 years' experience.

Fa-Q!
24-12-2007, 09:56
As posted above, this is quite a common thing for foreigners living here. Actually, for Russians, as well. The weather has alot to do with it, as well as the crowds of endless pushing and shoving, rude people. I disagree that you shouldn't listen to advice from people other than professionals, because the answer to your problem lies within your own head. I think that mood swings are a result of a general depression and you cannot put yourself into a position to have to rely on assistance every time you feel down. You just need to train yourself to identify that you're in a slump and pick yourself up.

I personally don't see it necessary to take any medicine unless you really have clinical depression or something more serious. But I've been through it and overcome it. The first thing is to get it into your head that your happiness is the most important thing. Tell yourself everyday that it's your life and no matter what life throws at you during the course of the day, you're going to see the bright side of things and focus on staying happy. If you're not happy for whatever reason, it's you who loses.

Train yourself to take a few deep breaths and think about something funny or pleasant before you let something upset you. Learn to say "**** it".

If you drink alchohol, maybe try to cut down because alchohol, in my opinion, is like throwing fuel on the fire of depression.

Find some new and relaxing things to do. Go to a museum, get a professional massage, whatever. On top of that, make sure that you always find a little time for yourself- to do something that makes you happy.

Stay in touch with your friends. I've found that my friends have amazing powers in lifting my spirits when I'm down. Give 'em a call and talk for 10 minutes.

The key lies in retuning your overall mood. If you're feeling good and happy, you won't blow up at little things, but shrug your shoulders and smile.

Good luck.

pjw
10-02-2008, 23:34
I want some general pointers where to go to seek help to control mood swings so i can be more positive and less negative, herbal, chinese cures, diet, herbal treatments, what ever might help
:mooooh::mooooh::mooooh::mooooh::mooooh:
Hey bluemoon,
I would like to get an update from you. How are you going? It´s well into winter and things may have gotten worse. Some years I get down bigtime in winter. This year´s been one of the better ones for me. No big probs. I got more of the sickness deal. I´m not able to control it or direct it. It just comes and all I can do is try to deal with it as best I can. It´s all year round but of course in winter I know it can get really bad. I remember one year I was a veggie basically. Imagine that! Pls let us know how you´ve been?:mooooh:
:mooooh::mooooh::mooooh::mooooh::mooooh:

Albertina
11-02-2008, 22:54
I'm a mental health professional.....with 18 years' experience.

Can you be our Agony Aunt?! Antie? Please! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

MissAnnElk
11-02-2008, 23:02

How long have you been here? How many times have you had expat gigs? There are predictable cycles to settling in to a new post . . . normal ups and downs during the first year.

davidhudson01
29-11-2008, 17:25
hi bluemoon,

I read your thread that you need a help to control Mood swings. For this better you can join our group called Bipolar Disorder Group, this group gives you lots of information about bipolar disorder and this mood swings is also a part of bipolar disorder. This group will provide you the information to control Mood swings, and by this group you can get information for your problem and also you can gain some knowledge about this bipolar disorder. Then you can also help others through this group.

Albertina
30-11-2008, 00:23
hi bluemoon,

I read your thread that you need a help to control Mood swings. For this better you can join our group called Bipolar Disorder Group, this group gives you lots of information about bipolar disorder and this mood swings is also a part of bipolar disorder. This group will provide you the information to control Mood swings, and by this group you can get information for your problem and also you can gain some knowledge about this bipolar disorder. Then you can also help others through this group.

Little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

pjw
05-12-2008, 21:59
Links for anyone interested in reading about Seasonal Affective Disorder - Winter depression. I heard up to 1 in 10 people are depressed and this can increase to 1 in 5 in Winter.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195)

Seasonal Affective Disorder: Winter Depression (http://www.ncpamd.com/seasonal.htm)

Seasonal Depression (SAD) (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/seasonal_depression_sad/article_em.htm)

Here is an overview about SAD from the last link. Enjoy reading. I find it really concerning how many people suffer from this illness in winter every year. Maybe you? Or a friend?

"Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is tied to seasons of the year. Most people with SAD are depressed only during the late fall and winter (sometimes called the "winter blues") and not during the spring or summer. A small number, however, are depressed only during the late spring and summer.

SAD is most common in young adult women, although it can affect men or women of any age. In North America, SAD may affect as many as 6 of every 100 people, more in the Northern portions of the country than in the South. Another 10-20% of people may have a milder form of seasonal mood change.

Like all types of depression, SAD can have a devastating effect on a person’s life. Fortunately, almost all people with SAD can be helped with available therapies."

Swordfish90293
06-12-2008, 00:45
Hi Blue,

I've been on the receiving end of numerous mood swings. They can be quite alienating to a mate who ain't a rock.
It's important to understand what is causing it, and get it out of the way. It may be reaction in a normal life, or something far more serious. In that case, get help. Dispair sent one girlfriend to an early grave by her own hand, which pissed everyone off no end.

On the other hand it may be helped with something as simple as getting a cat or other pet. Working out always works for me. Do you have a mate? Are you getting laid? I think it's important to be around people you can communicate with.

How long have you been away from home...jr. shrink is right, there's a typical cycle of gladness and depression that goes around an expat's head. Important to realize that it's cyclical, that it will end at some point, clear sky at the end of the cloud bank, if you will...

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."
- Hunter S. Thompson, 1937 - 2005