PDA

View Full Version : Is LinkedIn useful for you?

Potty
07-10-2012, 15:52
Do you have your profile there? Does it really help your career? Has it ever been useful to you in any way?
Just curious if it is worth registering there.

FatAndy
07-10-2012, 15:57
It is only social network where I have an account (since ages ago).

Yes, I've received a lot of job offers from there. Though no one was interesting - I mean in both job and payment ;).

Well, at least there is (was?) no harm from registering there, in contrary with Мордо-книга, when they send those annoying invitations on all the address book of your e-mail account...

tvadim133
07-10-2012, 16:01
Well, it depends upon your profession and sphere of professional life.

I have a profile and I can say there have been some good offers because of that.

but that is because I have plenty of colleagues of different types (What I mean is that, they are from different companies inclduing of my partners' and clients').

So there are more chances and efficiency if your professional life is connected with 100s of people and you are really "linked".

RichardB
07-10-2012, 16:01
Yes, no, no, why waste your time?

Saying all that though I do know some people who it has worked for - project planners mainly.

Potty
07-10-2012, 16:07
Yes, I've received a lot of job offers from there.

I have a profile and I can say there have been some good offers because of that.

Thanks, guys. So as I understand offers come not from nowhere but from your linked accounts, I mean people you know for a long time?

okiey
07-10-2012, 16:09
I find you just get harassed by headhunters. As always, Russia in particular, the way to find a decent job is through friends and colleagues working in your sphere of business.

FatAndy
07-10-2012, 16:13
Thanks, guys. So as I understand offers come not from nowhere but from your linked accounts, I mean people you know for a long time?
They come different ways. But yes, as Vadim and okiey have noticed, personal connections to many people besides LinkedIn have much (100 times) better value than somewhat bytes on somewhat servers ;) .

Though I had no "harassments" from headhunters (see my avatar :D).

mds45
07-10-2012, 22:33
It works for me but not as a way to find a new job but as a way to connect with clients and potential clients .

martpark
07-10-2012, 22:49
They do send out a lot of spam if you let them. More importantly they let 6 million passwords get hacked/stolen. I avoid it like the plague.

bydand
07-10-2012, 22:50
Do you have your profile there?
Does it really help your career?
Has it ever been useful to you in any way?
Just curious if it is worth registering there.

Yes
Yes
Yes
Don't know if its worth it for you; but why not try it?

As stated by others, it depends on what you are interested in getting from it. I'm not interested in finding a job; LinkedIn helps me keep up to date with the plastics industry prices, trends, techniques etc. More than once I have posed questions in different groups, and received good comments and advice.

Potty
08-10-2012, 00:11
God, I feel myself an idiot for not being there :book:

mrzuzzo
08-10-2012, 13:25
Had it for ages, been pretty useful, and I do get job offers from recruiters on there from time to time.

If you're a professional in any industry I think it's useful.

RichardB
21-10-2012, 15:07
I'm busy building up my Russian LinkedIn contacts so if anyone wants to be added please PM me with your LinkedIn contact details.

I may not be able to help much but it'll be another layer of contacts for you which may be useful.

Potty
22-10-2012, 15:05
I do get job offers from recruiters on there from time to time. .

you mean recruiting agencies or employers?

mrzuzzo
22-10-2012, 15:24
you mean recruiting agencies or employers?

Recruiting agencies...

robertmf
22-10-2012, 17:07
Do you mean recruiting agencies or employers?

Agencies or head hunters, not employers directly.

helenamoscow
22-10-2012, 21:01
yes, for me it was useful, once. Helena

Potty
01-11-2012, 13:54
Guys, LinkedIn is amazing! :7534: