PDA

View Full Version : Bels, what do you think of this? Today's MT article seriously misleading, surely?

Batsneedfriends
29-10-2007, 02:50
Foreigners Face a 10-Day Wait for New Visas
Foreigners Face a 10-Day Wait for New Visas (http://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2007/10/29/003.html)

The MT give the impression the 10-day processing time is a universal instruction: but if you look at the UK Embassy site it's quite clear they're sticking to existing charges and lead times for British citizens - which they would have to, of course, since the new charges (and timings) relate solely to countries signatory to the Russia-EU visa facilitation agreement. Here's everything you need to know about visa rates and lead times for UK citizens, as lifted direct from the Russian Embassy site. Note also, that even for EU citizens an 'urgent' facility (priced at 50) is in place:

BTW: You can get flights to London for as little as 9,600R with bmi and Aeroflot if you book carefully.

01.06.2007. Visa fees for EU citizens to change (except UK, Ireland, Denmark)

Today Russia-EU Visa facilitation agreement comes into force. According to its provisions, visa processing fees are changed, from 01.06.2007 on, for the citizens of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Germany, Finland, France, Czech, Republic, Sweden, Estonia.

The fees introduced are:

* For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for standard processing time 25.00
* For all types of visa (including multiple entry) for urgent processing 50.00

Holders of diplomatic passports of the mentioned countries will not need a visa to enter Russia for 90 days. However these provisions are not valid for the countries which did not sign the Agreement: the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark, as well as Iceland and Norway which are not EU member states and did not sign the Agreement with Russia.

Further information will be available from our website.

Rustralian
29-10-2007, 08:27
I am not sure how the article is seriously misleading.

It refers to Russian Embassies in Europe invoking a 10 day waiting period rule and expressly states that the London (and Madrid) Embassies are not. You confirm that same information with the extract from the London Russian Embassy website.

It just means if you are a UK passport holder and use an Embassy for your visa run that is not the London one, you may be caught by the 10 day rule that some of the other Embassies are invoking and it is now worth your while to contact the Embassy you plan using before hand (or the agency that you use), to check their current procedure and not rely on posts from here or anywhere else that may not reflect the new approach of the Embassy.

The article seems an appropriate warning to people to verify the current information from their chosen Embassy, before they start their visa run or risk delays.

svelt
29-10-2007, 21:10
great effing great. 2 hours after i buy the train ticket for sunday night to tallinn i get this shite. apart from the mt has ANYONE got first hand experience of 10 day waits in tallinn recently, like in the last month?????????????

Bels
29-10-2007, 22:00
As the Russian embassy in London states you pay pay 160 for a multi entry visa and nothing changes, because I got one and many other Brits have stated the same. As the Russian embassy in London states you will pay a lot less if you are not a Brit, or Irish for example who refused to sign. However for the the time being it looks like those who didn't sign have the better deal. I'd sooner pay 160 rather than deal with tis 90 day garbage.

Here's the site again rusemlon.org (http://www.rusemlon.org)

Forget about the Moscow Times. You're better off reading Grimm's Fairytales

rmk
30-10-2007, 09:49
A friend of mine went to Tallinn last week for her Russian visa and, yes, there is a 10 day wait there. However, she went to Riga on the off-chance and they did her visa in a day but charged a lot of money for it.

Bels
30-10-2007, 10:34
A friend of mine went to Tallinn last week for her Russian visa and, yes, there is a 10 day wait there. However, she went to Riga on the off-chance and they did her visa in a day but charged a lot of money for it.

Is this 10 day wait from personal visits to the embassy? We all know that for a sameday visa is 160. Was this charge what your friend had a lot more? I thought all charges were standard.

Confirms my belief, if I need to get another visa I will go to my own country and city in London and apply for my visa. There are too many unpleasant experiences around to take any risks.