PDA

View Full Version : Language of a letter

shurale
28-09-2012, 20:17
If you are a foreigner living in Moscow, and you write to a big company, does it matter if you write in English or in Russian (or have the letter written in Russian by a translator or a friend).
Is there any bias on the side of Russians when they receive a letter written in English? I am not talking about Russians in this forum, who are certainly creme de la creme of the Russian society, but Russians in general?

robertmf
28-09-2012, 20:56
If you are a foreigner living in Moscow, and you write to a big company, does it matter if you write in English or in Russian (or have the letter written in Russian by a translator or a friend).
Is there any bias on the side of Russians when they receive a letter written in English? I am not talking about Russians in this forum, who are certainly creme de la creme of the Russian society, but Russians in general?

2˘ worth - Well, *that* would depend on the language of the 'big company'. If you are submitting a resumé, a little online|library research will show you which, if any, language is convenient|preferred.

If the company has a website, which language is default.

(n.b. When I send a package to Russia, I put the address into both English and Rooskie because of the different address formats)

MashaSashina
28-09-2012, 21:04
Are you writing a letter to a company in general or to some certain person?
I think your purpose is to be understood, and if the person who is expected to receive the letter speaks english, then english is ok for communication. Why not?..
(Russian in general, accidentally on this forum)

shurale
28-09-2012, 21:20
Are you writing a letter to a company in general or to some certain person?
I think your purpose is to be understood, and if the person who is expected to receive the letter speaks english, then english is ok for communication. Why not?..
(Russian in general, accidentally on this forum)

If I don't find the contact information of the certain person, I am going to write to a company in general. The company is a matter of fact is international. But the employees are local.
It is expected that if the boss doesn't speak good English, then his/her employee does.
... What I am talking about is not that the person on the other side will not understand what I am saying, but that he maybe be (subconciously) allienated by the "wrong" language.
Maybe I am extra paranoid today.

MashaSashina
28-09-2012, 21:27
Maybe I am extra paranoid today.
I think you are. :) a little bit. )) Get well!