PDA

View Full Version : Should I Move?

Jazz
28-09-2012, 12:05
Hi there, i have been recently enquiring about universities in russia.
I Chose one and i am planning to move there soon in about a year.

So what i want to know is, i am a brown skinned guy, not african/negro.
Just brown due to sun, i dont really know about racism in russia with people of brown skin,
Is it ok to move there? The university i am talking about is in Moscow, so i was wondering that people who live there might know better than me probably.
And for the russian people who are leaving comment, i just wanted to know, do you see brown people in russia ?
if yes what % ? Are there too many racists in russia.

Regards
Jazz

Inola
28-09-2012, 13:07
There are foreign students of all colours. How many - depends on the uni...

Racism in Russia: common thing in the attitude (e.g., people often say pejorative things about immigrants from the Southern ex-Soviet republics), but i don't think there is much violence towards foreigners because of the skin colour, but there may be trouble because of their behaviour... If you don't seek for fight and don't wander in not safe areas in the night - you should be fine :)

Jazz
28-09-2012, 16:21

Racism in Russia: common thing in the attitude (e.g., people often say pejorative things about immigrants from the Southern ex-Soviet republics), but i don't think there is much violence towards foreigners because of the skin colour, but there may be trouble because of their behaviour... If you don't seek for fight and don't wander in not safe areas in the night - you should be fine :)

Thanks a lot for the advice miss!

GmanUSA
28-09-2012, 21:33
ditto as I see it...
No different than the US, which is where I am from. I'm sure if you wonder off into some obscure locations you may find different but that would then be your choice.
I travel all over the city every day and have noticed, in my opinion, more of a tolerance here. Maybe I'm wrong but people, at most, will give 'a look' but nothing more to foreigners. Though I too, being an American, was told recently on the metro to, " go back to my country" in a very angry tone by a very unattractive and obviously unhappy woman. So, just ignore the ignorance and use caution. It's not such a bad place, just some stupid people, no different than any other city in that respect.

singhshakti2020
28-09-2012, 23:13
More Racist in USA than Russia. Its a civilized country.

May be some drunken young guys can misbehave in night in some uncroweded areas but not usual everywhere.

May be some old Grandmothers don't like foreighners but not concerned about skin colour.
Behave like a civilised in any foreign country & keep urself in some limits. Rest all will be fine.