PDA

View Full Version : Passwords

bluemoon
27-10-2007, 23:36
any one know how to locate email passwords on a pc such as yahoo or gmail?

27-10-2007, 23:56
Passwords are not stored in your computer unless if you store the cookies used by the site. In this case the cookie stores a "clearance" to enter your account, but doesn't store your password itself in clear.

So in short, you can not recover your password even with the cookie, BUT if you have the cookies, you may enter your email account and then change your password (though some services ask the old password to set a new one...)

Torky
28-10-2007, 00:40
passwords, like guest says, aren't saved on your computer; unless you've asked your computer to save them. like used internet explorer/opera/your browser's password feature. in that case, they'd be stored in an encrypted form somewhere either in the browser's program files or in the registry. in any case, even if you do manage to find the encrypted file, it'd be difficult to decrypt. to the best of my knowledge no program stores passwords in a plain-text format. but you can search on the internet for tools to recover such saved passwords

TD
29-10-2007, 15:47
take a look HERE (http://www.nirsoft.net/password_recovery_tools.html) - one of these might help

Fantastika
30-10-2007, 22:54
passwords, like guest says, aren't saved on your computer; unless you've asked your computer to save them. like used internet explorer/opera/your browser's password feature. in that case, they'd be stored in an encrypted form somewhere either in the browser's program files or in the registry. in any case, even if you do manage to find the encrypted file, it'd be difficult to decrypt. to the best of my knowledge no program stores passwords in a plain-text format. but you can search on the internet for tools to recover such saved passwords

I only had one case where I was able to "decrypt" the password. In the database, in the user file, the passwords were stored encrypted by M5 or something in PHP. However the same password is encrypted the same way, so for two users with the same password, the encrypted version appears the same. I forgot which password I was using, so I just added new users with all of my possible passwords I usually use, and looked at the new "users" and then figured out what my original password was by comparing with the encrypted versions...

Of course you have to have access to the database...