PDA

View Full Version : having problems using Beeline sim/service for data-only on my smart phone :<

ijason
26-09-2012, 20:12
good evening.

i have an unlocked samsung exhibit ii 4g (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-T679DBBTMB-specs), originally from t-mobile. it works fine over here on my company SIM.

recently i signed up and bought a Beeline sim/data-only plan. when i put that sim in the phone i get full bars, but NO 3g or 4g. just the full bars. and the phone doesn't seem to get any data transfer... i get spam texts every couple hours so i know it's connecting.

in my phone "status" page, it says "unknown" for My Phone Number (my company SIM says the same thing, but still works fine for calls and texts). for Mobile Network State it says "disconnected". i think THAT'S the problematic part. but i don't know what to do to fix it.

in my phone's "mobile network settings" page, i have checked Use Packet Data, and Data Roaming. i also have the Network Mode set to GSM/WCDMA(auto)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Remington
26-09-2012, 20:31
Did you try something like this in your phone settings?

Beeline Internet Data Service Configuration

On the device, tap Apps icon > Settings > (More... >) Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Create a new Access point (tap Menu icon > New APN) and input the values listed below: -
Name : Beeline Net
APN : beelinenet
Enter the user name and password listed below. If no value is listed, leave the field blank.
Username:
Password:
Set the APN type as default.
Save the APN and, if necessary, select Access Point Names and tap the radio button next to Beeline Net to set the profile as default.
Return to the home screen.

If you get any data transfer with EDGE/GPRS then its very unlikely 3G/4G isn't available in your area since it's pretty spotty in Moscow. Not all areas are completely covered for 3G services.

FatAndy
26-09-2012, 20:53
There were issues with Beeline SIM today on my Nokia E52 (SIM registration error). switch off - battery out - battery in - switch on helped a bit.
Also, there were issues with MGTS software today - some landline numbers in some AOs of Moscow were unable to take incoming and place outgoing calls.
http://top.rbc.ru/incidents/26/09/2012/671518.shtml - in Rus.

ijason
i get full bars, but NO 3g or 4g. just the full bars. - Beeline has spotty 3G coverage in Moscow. Neither Beeline nor anyone else of ops has 4G, as in EU or US.

There is dedicated 4G LTE network by Scartel/Yota, who is partially purchased and co-operated by Megafon. But I'm in doubt you have it supported in your smartphone - radiofreq. band differs from US and EU, Megafon and Yota have USB sticks, and Megafon tas tablet device, no phones or smartphones.

ijason
26-09-2012, 21:00
@remington thanks for the quick reply!

i've never set up an access point on my phone before, so maybe this will be the answer! in my settings it is asking for (among other things) Mobile Country Code and Mobile Network Code. they are set to 250 and 99 by default for me, but my phone is from america, is there a different set of numbers i should use in moscow?

also, for my APN Type field i have : internet + MMS, internet, MMS as options. if i select "internet" will that block the incoming spam texts?

for future reference, my Access Point has options for : name, apn, proxy, port, username, password, server, mmsc, mms proxy, mms port, mobile country code, mobile network code, authentication type, apn type.

ijason
26-09-2012, 21:02
There were issues with Beeline SIM today on my Nokia E52 (SIM registration error). switch off - battery out - battery in - switch on helped a bit.
Also, there were issues with MGTS software today - some landline numbers in some AOs of Moscow were unable to take incoming and place outgoing calls.

thanks for the reply :)

i WISH my connection problem was just today!

if you're familiar with Yota, i may have some questions for you about trying to get my router to use the usb-stick Yota as a 3g modem. but i'll save those questions for tomorrow evening, if their help line can't answer them

FatAndy
26-09-2012, 21:07
trying to get my router to use the usb-stick Yota as a 3g modem - if it is older one (half of year or more), it will never work, you have to visit Yota office and exchange that stick. Yota was operating WiMAX network, and it is shut down now, since May 2012. They use those freq.bands for LTE network now. Take your router with you to their office, they should be able to help on the place.

ijason
26-09-2012, 21:17
trying to get my router to use the usb-stick Yota as a 3g modem - if it is older one (half of year or more), it will never work, you have to visit Yota office and exchange that stick. Yota was operating WiMAX network, and it is shut down now, since May 2012. They use those freq.bands for LTE network now. Take your router with you to their office, they should be able to help on the place.

the yota is only a couple weeks old. and it's running on 3g/4g as far as i can tell. my router is only a couple months old, and has a usb port and the capability to use a usb cellular modem.

what i need from yota is to know what the heck to use for my APN and my PIN numbers, and also what dialer string to initiate communications. i've got 4 strings to choose from, depending on what frequency the modem is, but no clue about the APN/PIN.

the internet kiosk guy i got the Yota from in the first place is quite helpful and speaks enough english... but i got to him as he was closing and didn't know my Yota account number so he gave me their service line. by the time i got home i believe they were already closed. so i'll try again tomorrow :)

ijason
26-09-2012, 21:20
Did you try something like this in your phone settings?

Beeline Internet Data Service Configuration

On the device, tap Apps icon > Settings > (More... >) Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Create a new Access point (tap Menu icon > New APN) and input the values listed below: -
Name : Beeline Net
APN : beelinenet
Enter the user name and password listed below. If no value is listed, leave the field blank.
Username:
Password:
Set the APN type as default.
Save the APN and, if necessary, select Access Point Names and tap the radio button next to Beeline Net to set the profile as default.
Return to the home screen.

you sir, are a genius!

even without changing my Mobile Country Code or the other one, your solution worked perfectly! i still don't have 3/4g, but i DO have the "extended" network icon lit up, and my apps are all working.

thank you so much :)

Remington
27-09-2012, 01:33
you sir, are a genius!

even without changing my Mobile Country Code or the other one, your solution worked perfectly! i still don't have 3/4g, but i DO have the "extended" network icon lit up, and my apps are all working.

thank you so much :)

Then that means you don't have 3G coverage in your area. You can try MTS or Megafon for your phone. Best to look up the coverage map on their websites.

MTS have good coverage for 3G service (I use this with iPhone).
Megafon or Beeline have less coverage than MTS. If you're not sure, ask the phone shops near where you live and they'll tell you which 3G/4G service is best in your area.

http://www.mts.ru/help/mts/3g/
http://map.megafonmoscow.ru/
http://3g.beeline.ru/3g/map.wbp
http://www.yota.ru/ru/coverage/russia/

MTS 3G works in my area but not Beeline or Megafon. I don't live near central Moscow.

Judge
27-09-2012, 08:07
I have the same service Jason, it's mostly 3g around the city never seen 4g pop up.
Often it says "E" but sometimes "H+"
They offer a good service and decent price.