PDA

View Full Version : Blasphemy Laws to be Introduced in Russia!

mrzuzzo
26-09-2012, 15:10
Pretty serious business... Today, the government is looking at introducing blasphemy laws that would ban mocking religion and hurting the feelings of the religious.

Max jail sentence = 3 years.

The amendments envisage a prison term of up to three years or a fine between 100,000 and 200,000 rubles ($3,200-6,400) for desecration of religious sites and intimidating the religious beliefs of people.

According to the survey, 82 percent of those polled favour the new law, while 12 percent spoke against it.

I think this is absolutely outrageous and I find this to be a limitation of my own free speech.

I will be extremely disappointed if this law goes through.

Thoughts?

Proof/Links to news:
http://lenta.ru/news/2012/09/26/sacrilege/
http://www.euronews.com/newswires/1669704-russian-lawmakers-call-for-law-on-offences-to-faith/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-russia-religionbre88o1ci-20120925,0,6110990.story
http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/majority-of-russians-favour-blasphemy-law_801916.html

Inola
26-09-2012, 15:14
I think there is a thread about this already, no?

mrzuzzo
26-09-2012, 15:19
Is there? In that case I can delete this.

Remington
26-09-2012, 15:20
Pretty serious business... Today, the government is looking at introducing blasphemy laws that would ban mocking religion and hurting the feelings of the religious.

Max jail sentence = 3 years.

I think this is absolutely outrageous and I find this to be a limitation of my own free speech.

I will be extremely disappointed if this law goes through.

Thoughts?

If this law is passed, I guess we'll have to be EXTREMELY NICE to Jas! :11629:

Ghostly Presence
26-09-2012, 15:25
Is there? In that case I can delete this.

I posted a thread about this in the Religion section earlier today. I told Rusmeister that I guess this means we will not have any religious debates anymore since they can lead to hefty fines and jails sentences from now on...

Dark Ages are just around the corner in this country....

Remington
26-09-2012, 15:40
I posted a thread about this in the Religion section earlier today. I told Rusmeister that I guess this means we will not have any religious debates anymore since they can lead to hefty fines and jails sentences from now on...

Dark Ages are just around the corner in this country....

We still can have religious debates but we'll have to refrain from attacking religions.

We can talk about differences about religions... but we cannot say that prophet Mohammed is a pedophile, womanizer, etc. just like the film "Innocence of the Muslims" or "The Last Temptation of Christ". Those films will be banned in Russia if this law is passed.

I don't agree with this new proposal because it will remove 'freedom of religion' but this is Russia.

TolkoRaz
26-09-2012, 15:45
The Borat film was also banned if I remember correctly!

mrzuzzo
26-09-2012, 15:47
The Borat film was also banned if I remember correctly!

No.

TolkoRaz
26-09-2012, 15:48
It was certainly banned in Kazakhstan and had thought it was originally banned in The Russian Federation, but I'm obviously mistaken.

Thanks for the correction :)

TolkoRaz
26-09-2012, 15:50
Borat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see that the Russian government discouraged Russian cinemas from showing the film!

peppermintpaddy
26-09-2012, 16:48
We still can have religious debates but we'll have to refrain from attacking religions.

We can talk about differences about religions... but we cannot say that prophet Mohammed is a pedophile, womanizer, etc. just like the film "Innocence of the Muslims" or "The Last Temptation of Christ". Those films will be banned in Russia if this law is passed.

I don't agree with this new proposal because it will remove 'freedom of religion' but this is Russia.

So,we can no longer tell the truth?

Ministry of Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jas
26-09-2012, 17:35
This is to protect the integrity of Russia and to make sure outside forces can not divide people and mess with the country so I think it is a good idea.

Russia never got involved in anything so senseless and nonesense as just provoking people for no reason.

scd167
26-09-2012, 21:44
This is to protect the integrity of Russia and to make sure outside forces can not divide people and mess with the country so I think it is a good idea.

Russia never got involved in anything so senseless and nonesense as just provoking people for no reason.

Pure genius and STUFF, Jastastic!

mrzuzzo
26-09-2012, 23:38

You should be a big fan of Stalin. He also jailed people who voiced their opinion so that "outside forces can not divide people and mess with the country".

Probe
27-09-2012, 10:28
Voicing an opinion is fine and should be encouraged, hearing the sound of air escaping your rear end in public should be discouraged.

franzewich
27-09-2012, 18:42
Such kind of law is as good or as bad as it is being handled by the authoriites.

It could help stopping religious riots (not talking about "Pussy Riot").

But it could also mean jail terms for:

- any oppositon member who curses in public
- interpreting the bible or the Qur'an
- drawing own conclusions about religious issues
- atheism
- eating beef (because cows are sacret to Hindus)
- etc.

Even peeing against a tree might be subject to a fine, because it insults a shaman.

Will it protect ALL religions, or will it be based mainly upon the Orthodox belief? Are there certain religions exempt from this regulation?

Remington
27-09-2012, 18:54
Will it protect ALL religions, or will it be based mainly upon the Orthodox belief? Are there certain religions exempt from this regulation?

I think it will more likely protect Orthodox Church. Russia government doesn't care much for any other religions as they revoked the permit to build a Mosque in Strogino after mass protests... probably organized by the government.

antfidel
27-09-2012, 18:58
Oh great, another dumb law that will be enforced selectively to serve the needs of the Kremlin, things sure are looking up for Russia!