PDA

View Full Version : Applying for tax rebate once you've left Russia

jsmitters
24-09-2012, 16:27
Does anybody have any advice about how to claim a tax rebate after leaving the country? I will have worked 10 months in Russia this year (thereby exceeding the 183 days rule about tax residency) and am entitled to a tax rebate to recoup the additional tax I paid for the first six months (30% instead of 13%) but have been told that a) by law my company cannot claim this money back for me, b) I have to make 3 trips in person to the relevant tax office and c) I cannot do anything until January 2013. As I am leaving Russia in December I was wondering whether I could authorise someone to claim this money on my behalf - either a friend or even hiring an accountant? Someone must have run into this issue - any helpful advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks

ilya25
27-09-2012, 00:48
Does anybody have any advice about how to claim a tax rebate after leaving the country? I will have worked 10 months in Russia this year (thereby exceeding the 183 days rule about tax residency) and am entitled to a tax rebate to recoup the additional tax I paid for the first six months (30% instead of 13%) but have been told that a) by law my company cannot claim this money back for me, b) I have to make 3 trips in person to the relevant tax office and c) I cannot do anything until January 2013. As I am leaving Russia in December I was wondering whether I could authorise someone to claim this money on my behalf - either a friend or even hiring an accountant? Someone must have run into this issue - any helpful advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Yes, you need to file Russian tax return for 2012 and a request to return tax overpayment. You can do it after Jan 2013. You will need so called 2-NDFL form from your employer and some proofs of your stay in Russia (copy of passport with stamps).

You will need a Russian bank account where they can send money (no cheques in Russia) You can do everything by mail - no need to come in person. Also you can appoint smbd to represent you in dealing with tax authorities on your behalf but you need to originate notorized power of atterney. I hope this helps. Tax return processing may take up to 4 months