View Full Version : working visa - which embassy its easier to go

14-09-2012, 10:34

I'm Daniel a canadian/chilean who will be going to moscow to search a job as a 3D artist!

Since I'm chilean I don't need a tourist visa to enter russia and my plan is to go as a tourist and then get the job once I'm there.

My question is, in which country would be best to go to get the working visa?
I was thinking Finland because they will speak english there and the whole process would be easier, since my russian its still basic.

Also got suggested that I could get it with the police over there, but not in the most legal way, and I'm not sure if i want to take that risk

Ian G
14-09-2012, 12:39
Hello Daniel- welcome to the forum!

It's great that people from Chile don't need a tourist visa, it's a pity Russia doesn't have this arrangement with more countries.

To get a work visa you first of all need an employer in Russia- it's the employer who is responsible for arranging for work visa invitations.

There is also a thing called a business visa, which allows you to be in Russia (but only for a maximum of 6 months in each year), as long as you are not actually working here. It's for people on business trips. For example you could be a respresentative of a foreign company, and actually receiving your salary in your own country.

It's possible to get Russian residence, then work here as a self-employed artist, but the process for for getting residence is quite diffficult. There are many threads on the site dealing with this- but most people who get residence here already have ties to Russia, normally because of marriage to a Russian citizen.

14-09-2012, 15:02
Hi Daniel,

I think to a large extent this depends on your employer. A company might have some offices in other European countries and might ask you to get the visa there and already start working or getting to know the company while waiting for the visa.

Same accounts for the question whether to get the visa i your Chilean or Canadian passport. An employer might have some own considerations about it.

At my company for example, if you have double citizenship and one of your passports is a EU passport you'd always be asked to use this one for your work visa. They say fees are lower and processing is quicker on average.

14-09-2012, 15:16
Daniel... it's not going to be easy to find a job especially if you don't speak Russian well and work permit is usually reserved for senior managers. So don't try to have a high expectation that you will find a 3D designer job with a work permit. If you get hired then it'll be local wages, probably paid under the table but you still have a problem with 90 days rule. Also, it is illegal to work without a work or residence permit.

I've seen many Americans and Europeans come and go because they can't find work and Russia's 90/180 days rule made things more difficult.

Best of luck with your job search.

14-09-2012, 21:57
I already contacted some companies, and at least one seems interested on working with me, even with the language barrier. I would be tested at first and then if everything goes well I should be getting a job. And I've been contacting many people who work in my industry and they say it should be possible to get a job with the portfolio that I have.

About the wages, I'm not worried on getting local wages, they are far better than over here in Chile, and I'm not planing on getting rich in Russia! As long I can live decent enough, which I'm sure it's possible, I will be happy.

My concern is if I actually get a job, which embassy would be better to go to

14-09-2012, 22:02
You need to get hired first, then the company will take care of the work visa for you. Not sure you can simply make one yourself ... though maybe I am wrong!

14-09-2012, 22:16
My concern is if I actually get a job, which embassy would be better to go to

You can go to Kiev or Vilnius AFTER your company arranges your documents for work visa.

01-10-2012, 10:40
Can you process the work visa anywhere? Or do you have to go to your own country?