PDA

View Full Version : How aware is your Embassy?

ezik
25-10-2007, 21:56
New immigration rules, new registration rules, new treaties, new stuff.

You and I don't ask for it, but our representatives obviously see an urgent need to negotiate new rules. They have a job to do, too, so cheers to them. Still it wouldn't hurt informing the lost expats.

Please mention your nationality and the amount of relevant information you could get from your Embassy in relation with Russia's changing immigration rules.

Anyone working for any Russian immigration office is kindly invited to share factual and accurate information. If this information needs to be discussed with Expat.ru management before publishing, please PM me.

The same goes for Embassy personnel wanting to share information.

Expat.ru will wait for information for the moment. So we remain quite passive. For now.

If no feedback at all is submitted (by officials), we may take the pro-active route of contacting each and every Embassy in this town for comments.

Please, all users, note that we will need to rely on a lot of you helping us out.

This all may happen in collaboration with well-read magazines that have international coverage. It is unacceptable that bodies negotiationg immigration rules for their subjects refrain from giving needed information.

We have invited Embassies before to comment on the new rules, without success. If we don't get the information, we'll come and claim it.

Bels
25-10-2007, 22:06
New immigration rules, new registration rules, new treaties, new stuff.

You and I don't ask for it, but our representatives obviously see an urgent need to negotiate new rules. They have a job to do, too, so cheers to them. Still it wouldn't hurt informing the lost expats.

Please mention your nationality and the amount of relevant information you could get from your Embassy in relation with Russia's changing immigration rules.

Anyone working for any Russian immigration office is kindly invited to share factual and accurate information. If this information needs to be discussed with Expat.ru management before publishing, please PM me.

The same goes for Embassy personnel wanting to share information.

Expat.ru will wait for information for the moment. So we remain quite passive. For now.

If no feedback at all is submitted (by officials), we may take the pro-active route of contacting each and every Embassy in this town for comments.

Please, all users, note that we will need to rely on a lot of you helping us out.

This all may happen in collaboration with well-read magazines that have international coverage. It is unacceptable that bodies negotiationg immigration rules for their subjects refrain from giving needed information.

We have invited Embassies before to comment on the new rules, without success. If we don't get the information, we'll come and claim it.

Here! Here! as we could say in Britain.

Bels
25-10-2007, 22:20
How aware is your government? Or how aware is your Embassy in Russia?
Not at all it appears. They are writing issues with their eyes. Look at one of their top headlines. Close relations with Turkey? and the EU. They have just gone to war with a group in Iraq.

They are talking with their eyes shut of what really is happening. Oh yes we are great naval allie and we are Russias biggest invester. Please give us the real world and keep your individual citizens informs. Your web-site is a joke.

Here it is: Home British Embassy, Russia (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1089123734028)

How about An american, Australian, Kiwi, canadian Embassy web-site.
Are they the same?

mandelstam13
25-10-2007, 22:25
Why would "going to war with a group in Iraq" (the PKK) mean that Britain and Turkey would be unable to have a strategic partnership? Where do you think British troops are stationed right now? Anyhow, what does this have to do with the embassy being aware or not? They are just reporting news. I fail to see your logic.

Judge
25-10-2007, 22:38
Nice thread ezik,if it wasn't for sites like this one, many expats will be left out in the cold ...

Bels
25-10-2007, 22:38
Why would "going to war with a group in Iraq" (the PKK) mean that Britain and Turkey would be unable to have a strategic partnership? Where do you think British troops are stationed right now? Anyhow, what does this have to do with the embassy being aware or not? They are just reporting news. I fail to see your logic.

Because that is their top news in a British Embassy in Russia. Which has nothing to do with our current interests as citizens of this Embassy. And they are also more interested in informing Russians that their are restrictions on student visas for example, again old news.

With such so called important news, no they are not showing awareness or importance of the new laws in Russia regarding visas.

By the way, if I'm up to date, Hasn't the British troops pulled out from 30,000 troops down to 5'00 troops. Hardly capable of anything are they?

Rustralian
25-10-2007, 23:00
The Australian Embassy website offers very little information at all about getting Visa's for travel to Russia. One of the links to the DFAT just provides some geneal comments in their travel advisory section. The website is almost exclusively designed to assist people getting into Australia or doing business with Australia.

The Russian Embassy in Australia website is the same with the standrad forms and information being provided that they have had for the past few years. No new information has been posted.

J.D.
26-10-2007, 07:11
Is it really your embassy's job to inform you about visa requirements for Russia. Great if they do but it doesn't strike me that it is. One of your embassy's main jobs would be to tell Russians about visa requirements for your country. I think the airlines may be a better source.

Well, here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Hawk
26-10-2007, 11:38
I really don't feel my embassy gives a S**t about informing its citizens about Russian visa laws...

In fact I would go as far as to say that my countries embassy expect its citizens to do the work of finding out themsleves.

Clean32
26-10-2007, 11:49
LOL i tryed to ring the Kiwi embassy got some girl with ok english who keep trasfering me to phones that were never answerd.

i wounder what would happen if " help, i have just been arested for killing some one, but i didnt do it" click brrr brrr brrr brrr 6 months latter brrr brrr brrr,

JohnnyLomo
26-10-2007, 12:02
I have just got off the phone from the British embassy who were helpful in that they took my number and name with a promise to call me back as and when they have further information.

They say they are aware of the many concerns regarding the new visa laws, and for the past week have been ringing the Russian ministry daily, however it seems the ministry is either unwilling or unable to give them any information regarding the changes in visa regulations.

One worrying thing was that although it has been indicated elsewhere that British Irish and Danish citizens will not be affected, it seems the British embassy think that this is not the case and the rules will be applied the same as to everyone else...

Len Ganley Stance
26-10-2007, 12:16
Is it really your embassy's job to inform you about visa requirements for Russia. Great if they do but it doesn't strike me that it is. One of your embassy's main jobs would be to tell Russians about visa requirements for your country. I think the airlines may be a better source.

You're absolutely correct.

The Embassies who should post information relevant to this are the Russian Embassies and Consulates overseas. It's them that issue Russian Visas.

ezik
06-11-2007, 21:00
You're absolutely correct.

The Embassies who should post information relevant to this are the Russian Embassies and Consulates overseas. It's them that issue Russian Visas.

Formally, this is true up to some extend.

However, Embassies are also responsible for their citizens residing in this country on what ever title. They are the diplomats, they negotiate. You can't just decide together with a host government on certain rules and as a next thing just leave your citizens alone dealing with draconic rules. Either inform, or negotiate smarter.

Embassies are employed by people who are here only because we allow them to through democratic voting (directly or indirectly). I don't see why an Embassy should be here if it weren't about supporting their citizens abroad.

But, given the fact that we have received NO reaction from ANY Embassy so far, it looks like they are here for other business than ours.

Let's see how they react when the Expat.ru Embassy Awards 2007 are issued (of course heavily publicised!).

Erhm... there are no "Expat.ru Embassy Awards 2007" yet. Should there be?

J.D.
06-11-2007, 21:23
responsible for citizens???

The embassy is not your mother. You are responsible for yourself. You think if you commint a crime here that your ambssador will have to pay a fine?

The main reason for embassies is for diplomatic communication. For presidents to talk to each other through their ambassadors.

A secondary function is providing State Department services to citizens abroad. Why would they need to provide Russian visa information to someone who is already here? It is not their job. IF they do it, well then kudos to them.

Bels
06-11-2007, 21:46
Another fine example for the fantastic service our British Embassy provides. To renew or replace our car license.

The car license authority states that for those outside the country who want to re-new or replace their driving may use the British Embassy to verify our passports for identification in order to get my replaced license. In the UK normally the post Offices do this

The British Embassy refused to offer this service. My question is what the hell do they do for us. They most certainly refuse to be involved with Russian legislation put upon us. In fact, what on earth are they doing here for us????? I haven't got a clue. All I can see on their web-site is garbage about this so called news I was talking about earlier.

Bels
06-11-2007, 21:54
In fact, If we had a crisis for example a change of government and I needed protection. I wouldn't trust my embassy to protect my well-being. Yes, it has happened in other countries.

trebor
06-11-2007, 22:35
I've never heard of a British Embassy (or any other embassy for that matter)anywhere in the world posting information on local visa issues for their host country.
Hardly their durisdiction is it?
How many people here have registered with their embassy in Russia, as you are advised to do?
I have and i get regular travel and security updates. What else can you expect?

Bels
06-11-2007, 22:41
I've never heard of a British Embassy (or any other embassy for that matter)anywhere in the world posting information on local visa issues for their host country.
Hardly their durisdiction is it?
How many people here have registered with their embassy in Russia, as you are advised to do?
I have and i get regular travel and security updates. What else can you expect?

And do you think they should?? I think so . That's why we have an official of whom we have a right to see when we need him. That's why we can jump the queu. But for what for goodness sake ?????

trebor
07-11-2007, 01:53
Bels, your not thinking straight.
If the British embassy were to post the latest info on Russian visa requirements on their website everyone and his dog would be calling up to make inquires, wouldn't they? That would include Swedes, Turkish, Chinese, Kenyans, French etc, ect, ect.
Is it the British embassy's job to field questions about Russian visa regulations?
Would the Russian authorities be happy if they were?
NO.
It's not the British embassy's fault that Russian visa regulations are very complicated and that reliable information is hard to come by, is it? AND what makes you think they can get a clearer idea of the requirements than you?
Before you start bellyaching about the British embassy, have you bothered to register with them yet?

ezik
07-11-2007, 02:23
It is not about whether it is any Embassy's legal "task" to provide this. It is about moral and democratic responsibility.

Most of us here have f***-all to do with what is being negotiated between Russia and our Governments. However, if they come up with some Kafkaian rules, it is US, who have f***-all to do with it, who end up paying the price, in terms of not being able to stay here, being torn apart from families, being treated like absolute no-lives. And those who negotiated the rules on OUR behalf will never face the scrutiny we do.

I don't care what my Embassy's task is, or anyone else's. Any question from a foreigner in this country to his legal/democratic representative body here is legit. This doesn't come down to task descriptions, it comes down to the whole point of executing tasks, i.e. a few steps up on the ladder of principles.

ezik
07-11-2007, 02:26
responsible for citizens???

The embassy is not your mother. You are responsible for yourself. You think if you commint a crime here that your ambssador will have to pay a fine?

The main reason for embassies is for diplomatic communication. For presidents to talk to each other through their ambassadors.

A secondary function is providing State Department services to citizens abroad. Why would they need to provide Russian visa information to someone who is already here? It is not their job. IF they do it, well then kudos to them.

It IS their job as soon as we demand it.

ezik
07-11-2007, 02:29
Service is something that comes spontaneously, inspired by empathy. It is something that goes beyond mere task descriptions. Service, true service is about caring whether your customer (or voter) is happy.

I haven't come across any expat who thinks that their Embassy is doing a good job informing them. I find that very, very disturbing.

Rustralian
07-11-2007, 02:44
I agree with what you are saying Ezik, why have an Embassy and Ambassador that get to enjoy overseas living if they can not get off their butt's and help out their citizens, who don't get the privileges and benefits that they do as diplomats.

I think the problem here though, is that this latest issue with ME Visas does NOT seem to have been negotiated between the Governments. It seems that the need for an "official" (as in, purchased from an endorsed Russian company to sell them) business visa invitation for EU countries was a negotiated deal that saw a change of how visas are applied for by EU citizens, but that was all.

It does not seem that anyone necessarily knew about the new ME Visa regime laws/regulations/rules apart from the Russian Government people that wrote them and then made them law without informing anyone. If they had been negotiated with other countries, then they would have announced them with some sort of guidlines etc, so it seems very much as a Russian Government initiative, that was implemented by someone without much initiative. :rules:

The question that is now faced, is what additional access to the Russian Government people do our Diplomats have, than we do - it seems like Sweet FA as they know nothing more than we do and cannot get anything confirmed either. So in reality, they are only here to assist where the Russian Government wants them to assist and they are pretty much a waste of time for anything else to do with Russia. It seems their role is much more about Garden Parties and issues of State importance - who to seat beside who, what wine to serve and what background music to play!

:eh:

ezik
07-11-2007, 03:01
Well, the EU clearly negotiated with Russia on their mutual treatment. And in the case the rules were not negotiated, I think they should bite into them like pitbulls.

Embassies are the linking pin between our homeland governments and Russia. Whether they like it or not, and whether it is a task or not: any question from any expat to their Embassy should be answered fully and without constraint. "We don't know" to me is not an acceptable answer on behalf of a government that I (or my family or friends) voted for and sponsor with progressive taxes.

I think that expats in a country like this are very well entitled to act as consumers to their representative bodies. Without us, there would be no business for them here.

I agree with what you are saying Ezik, why have an Embassy and Ambassador that get to enjoy overseas living if they can not get off their butt's and help out their citizens, who don't get the privileges and benefits that they do as diplomats.

I think the problem here though, is that this latest issue with ME Visas does NOT seem to have been negotiated between the Governments. It seems that the need for an "official" (as in, purchased from an endorsed Russian company to sell them) business visa invitation for EU countries was a negotiated deal that saw a change of how visas are applied for by EU citizens, but that was all.

It does not seem that anyone necessarily knew about the new ME Visa regime laws/regulations/rules apart from the Russian Government people that wrote them and then made them law without informing anyone. If they had been negotiated with other countries, then they would have announced them with some sort of guidlines etc, so it seems very much as a Russian Government initiative, that was implemented by someone without much initiative. :rules:

The question that is now faced, is what additional access to the Russian Government people do our Diplomats have, than we do - it seems like Sweet FA as they know nothing more than we do and cannot get anything confirmed either. So in reality, they are only here to assist where the Russian Government wants them to assist and they are pretty much a waste of time for anything else to do with Russia. It seems their role is much more about Garden Parties and issues of State importance - who to seat beside who, what wine to serve and what background music to play!

:eh:

Rustralian
07-11-2007, 03:16
Mind you, maybe we have got it all wrong and this has nothing to do with Visa and Expats and it is simply the Russian Government trying to find ways to bring down inflation.

After all, if say 100,000 ME Business visa holders are removed from the country for 6 months of the coming year (and that is most probably a very conservative number), based on a rough figure of say $4000 per month being spent by them (which is also very conservative number) for a 6 month period, that means a decline in consumer spending of $2.4 billion (at the very least). :yikes:

That means that by stopping ME Business Visa holders from being in Russia, the Russian Goverment can create a multi-billion dollar decline in consumer demand and help control inflation.

That will greatly please the Russian retail businesses as they can sell things cheaper with the reduced demand and does wonders for the economy with the reduced inflation, once all that pesky Expat money is removed from the local economy.

:applause:

Judge
07-11-2007, 03:36
Mind you, maybe we have got it all wrong and this has nothing to do with Visa and Expats and it is simply the Russian Government trying to find ways to bring down inflation.

After all, if say 100,000 ME Business visa holders are removed from the country for 6 months of the coming year (and that is most probably a very conservative number), based on a rough figure of say $4000 per month being spent by them (which is also very conservative number) for a 6 month period, that means a decline in consumer spending of $2.4 billion (at the very least). :yikes:

That means that by stopping ME Business Visa holders from being in Russia, the Russian Goverment can create a multi-billion dollar decline in consumer demand and help control inflation.

That will greatly please the Russian retail businesses as they can sell things cheaper with the reduced demand and does wonders for the economy with the reduced inflation, once all that pesky Expat money is removed from the local economy.

:applause:
If we are going on the figure of 100,000 ME visas, what about the money agents make from invites,at around $100 a time,this will also be lost,registration,train fair,air tickets....it all adds up.
Western expats spend alot of money in this country.One of the reasons the rent is so high in Moscow is because many expats can afford to pay crazy prices..

Bels
07-11-2007, 11:53
Bels, your not thinking straight.
If the British embassy were to post the latest info on Russian visa requirements on their website everyone and his dog would be calling up to make inquires, wouldn't they? That would include Swedes, Turkish, Chinese, Kenyans, French etc, ect, ect.
Is it the British embassy's job to field questions about Russian visa regulations?
Would the Russian authorities be happy if they were?
NO.
It's not the British embassy's fault that Russian visa regulations are very complicated and that reliable information is hard to come by, is it? AND what makes you think they can get a clearer idea of the requirements than you?
Before you start bellyaching about the British embassy, have you bothered to register with them yet?

Well, I think the above posts say it all, don't you. Well they know I'm here, after all that's where I had to get all my marriage document and ask for permission to marry.

What will I get for registration there. Anything???

trebor
07-11-2007, 12:50
Well, I think the above posts say it all, don't you. Well they know I'm here, after all that's where I had to get all my marriage document and ask for permission to marry.

What will I get for registration there. Anything???

Bels it's people like you that when there is a problem in a country and you havn't registered with the embassy your the first to start screaming "what are they doing to get me out" :D
Reading through the comments above are comical:
The Russians implemented the rules to get rid of loads of expats to control inflation?.....................what are you smoking? :D
I've visited the website of the British embassy and there is loads of info on there, including visa forms and immigartion forms in English.
Stop bloody whinging!

Bels
07-11-2007, 13:34
I promise I won't winge anymore. Because I've now got my residency :)

However I do support everything that Ezic is trying to say. Hey! are we talking about the same Embassy. Of course it's in English, and the visas you must be talking about are the ones for entry into Britain. I might need a spouse visa in the future but not for the moment.

trebor
07-11-2007, 13:51
All that bloody whinging and whinning and not only haven't you been bothered to register with the embassy but you haven't even bothered to look at the site either. Have you?
The visa information i'm talking about is the RUSSIAN VISA. You can find a downloadable form in English and an IMMIGRATION CARD too. In English.
I'll inform the ambassador your still not impressed! :D

Rustralian
07-11-2007, 13:59
:bowdown:

Reading through the comments above are comical:
The Russians implemented the rules to get rid of loads of expats to control inflation?.....................what are you smoking?

If you took that as a serious post then you are a lost soul :duhhhh:

:groan:

You're British - you must understand sarcasm, you invented it (well at least Syd James and those sort of guys did)!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Bels
07-11-2007, 14:00
All that bloody whinging and whinning and not only haven't you been bothered to register with the embassy but you haven't even bothered to look at the site either. Have you?
The visa information i'm talking about is the RUSSIAN VISA. You can find a downloadable form in English and an IMMIGRATION CARD too. In English.
I'll inform the ambassador your still not impressed! :D

Well, first of all I'm a lot more relaxed now, as I said I just got my temp residency. Secondly I looked at the web site and posted a few addresses of it here. But I didn't find what you found.

Where's is it, If you give it here you might get a few greenies and thankyous.

And yes I would be impressed, was it recent??

J.D.
07-11-2007, 14:01
It IS their job as soon as we demand it.

Demand away.

Actually you've inspired me. I'm going down to my embassy and demand Friday tequila parties. I mean, it's not like we can expect the local government to do this.

trebor
07-11-2007, 14:04
Bels i'm not interested in greenies or thank yous.
I found it in a few minutes. You could do the same.
Have another look!

Rustralian
07-11-2007, 14:10
Secondly I looked at the web site and posted a few addresses of it here. But I didn't find what you found.

It doesn't say much, but it has the form :)

Travel advice British Embassy, Russia (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1089123737295)

Bels
07-11-2007, 14:20
OK, somehow I didn't see it in the past. There are a few intersting articles. I haven't got time to see it or take it all in yet, possibly tonight I will

Here is an example: Permanent residency info also :).

Visa registration procedures British Embassy, Russia (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1089131236015)

trebor
07-11-2007, 20:34
So the British Embassy is not so bad after all then?

Bels
07-11-2007, 21:39
It doesn't say much, but it has the form :)

Travel advice*British Embassy, Russia (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1089123737295)

After carefully reading everything tonight. Unless I missed something yet again.Sorry but I go along with Rustralian. There's nothing much there, and I knew that already.

However may I remind you. I'm not worried anymore :) I got my residency today. And my teaching is over for today now. Where's that champagne and here's the fireworks. And excuse me If I write here again I may be a bit over the top. :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

:fireworks: :fireworks:

My favourite smiley :) above of course

ezik
09-11-2007, 18:35
Fireworks for the nice lady who posted this: http://www.expat.ru/forum/passport-control/44050-warning-new-law-multiple-entry-business-visas-4.html#post308159

She is connected to a EU Embassy, and posted this information anonymously and clearly stating that the Embassy is legally not competent or authorised to give this information. Anyway, coming from a what you would call "a reliable, well-informed source", I'd say that this is useful.

fco1922
13-11-2007, 10:12
Many embassies (UK, US, Canada at least) know about the new rules and can provide you with the next of the new rules and legislation. However, as anyone who has lived her knows, that law is not necessarily the final word in Russian. The bigger problem is how the law is interpreted. At the moment, this varies from Russian Embassy to Russian Embassy and from border guard to border guard.

Moreover, the FMS has not yet issued full rules and explanations so the confusion continues.

It should also be noted that Embassies are responsible for providing information on the laws of THEIR countries, not other countries (ie Russia). The provide advice as a service but it is up to the Russian government to interpret and apply its own rules. It you go to the US Embassy website for London it clearly states that they cannot provide advice or assistance regarding British visa or immigration matters. It is the same around the world.
In Russia the situation is complicated by the fact that laws are routinely ignored.

Bels
13-11-2007, 11:06
So, is that why many are getting wrong visas from different embassies. Like a Brit getting a 90 day period one in Paris, then another getting a full normal one in the same city. London Russian embassy appears to be the only Russian Embassy that appears to be consistant with full original visas for the time if we refer to previous posts. But no doubt this 90 day thing will come through to us all eventually.

Rustralian
16-11-2007, 16:25
This email was sent around by the Australian Embassy today, to all people registered with them. It confirms that the laws are not retrospective.

Dear Sir/Madam,

You are currently registered with the Australian Embassy in Moscow as an Australian citizen residing in Russian Federation.

Please find the attached information about a new regime for Business Visa to Russian Federation. You will have a unique opportunity to learn more about the implications of the following newly-introduced Russian government decrees, which outline new rules governing business visas for foreign citizens.

● Multi-entry business and commercial (delovaya) visas are frequently used by foreign nationals for work in Russia and this is a violation of Russian law. Now the Russian Government is bringing legislation in conformity with globally accepted rules and procedures by making it difficult to work in Russia using a business or commercial visa.

● The U.S. and EU countries have similar visa systems – that is, requiring work visas. In the EU, foreign nationals holding multi-entry business visas, as opposed to work visas, cannot spend more than 90 days in the country during each 180-days period.

● For long-term stays and work in Russia, foreign citizens must have a work visa (not a delovaya visa), be a family member of a work (not delovaya) visa holder, or have a training (studenchiskaya) visa, a temporary residence permit, or a permanent residence permit.

● The new visa regulation will not apply to those whose multi-entry business, commercial or humanitarian (gumanitarnaya) visas were issued before October 18, 2007. The visa regime allowing them to stay in the country for up to 180 days at a time will remain in effect until visa expiry.

● Multi-entry business, commercial and humanitarian visas issued on October 18, 2007 and afterward shall only allow the holder to spend a total of 90 days out of a 180-day period in Russia. Thus the maximum time a foreigner could spend in Russia per annum on an ordinary multi-entry business, commercial and humanitarian visa is 180 days, and half the days in each 180-day period must be spent outside of Russia.

● The 180-day visa period regarding the 90-day restriction starts from the first day of first arrival (border crossing), not from the date of the visa issuance.

● A reciprocity principle will apply going forward regarding the issuance of visas in third countries. A foreign citizen will be able to receive a Russian visa in a country other than his own if his own country allows Russian citizens to receive visas at its embassies and consulates outside of Russia. A list of 40 countries that allow Russian citizens to receive visas in countries other than Russia was mentioned, and it will be possible for citizens of these countries to receive Russian visas in third countries (please see transcript). The list always changes, so it is important to call the Russian embassy you are planning to visit to verify if it will issue a visa before you order a visa invitation sent to that country.

● If the third country allows you to reside over 90 days, then the Russian embassy in that country will also issue a visa in that country.

● The timing of visa issuance will now also be based on reciprocity. This means that it may not be possible to get visas as quickly as in the past for nationals of certain countries, including the U.S.

● The penalty for individuals who violate the visa-regime is up to 5,000 rubles, or deportation, or denial of entry, or a refusal of a new visa. A total of two administrative violations (for visa violations or other reasons including tax violations and failure to properly file a notification form) may result in the refusal of new visas.

● The penalty for a company that sponsors someone on an inappropriate type of visa is up to 800,000 rubles, or the possible limitations on the company’s ability to issue invitations in the future.

● A visa invitation on company letterhead will be allowed for most of the EC countries once the relevant agreement between the EC and Russia becomes effective. This is not yet in effect and the rules and procedures have not been issued but are expected by the New Year.

● Accompanying family members who will not work in Russia (children, spouse) of a work visa holder must hold a so-called work visa for accompanying family members (обыкновенная рабочая виза c целью поездки: «Сопровождающий член семьи») which in fact d not allow them to work.

● A stay by a foreign national in Russia can be extended beyond the visa period by three governmental agencies: The Border Guard Service, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or the FSB (3 days). If it is up to 10 days, the Federal Migration Service can assist.

● Limited-entry business visas of shorter duration shall not be subject to the 90-day rule. That is, one could in theory get a two month visa every two months and avoid the 90-day limitation, but would have to leave the country every two months to get the visa. One could also not work on such a visa.

This does state that you can keep coming and going on limited entry 60 day visas, but it would be a pain in the butt!

It also clarifies the rule about reciprocal treatment for where you can obtain Visas. Unfortunately they didn't include the transcript to check the current list of countries, but basically if your country allows Russians to apply for a visa at any Embassy and not just your country's Embassy in Russia, then you can apply at any Russian Embassy as well.