PDA

View Full Version : a question about Russian men

GalinaP
12-09-2012, 08:13
This is something I've been pondering for a couple of last days, maybe you'll help me solve this mystery.

Sorry but it's about dancing again (maybe not only though). I've been dancing on different levels and in different situations, but when I came to a salsa dancing class on Sunday, it struck me as extremely odd what extreme air of arrogance the Russian men practised their steps in a couple with. Refers to those of them who were of intermediate level dancing with beginners (was a mixed class). Is dancing with a lady not just fun and enjoyment, is it yet another opportunity to prove something? Why, why, why?

RichardB
12-09-2012, 10:32
If you ain't happy with 50% of the Russian population then why not leave the country?

Or become a lesbian! :D

penka
12-09-2012, 10:43
Obvious national peculiarities aside, I would say, people are very different, some do behave, others do not, for whatever reason, be it arrogance, insecurities, shyness or something else. Men, as known, can be quite insecure and because of the upbringing it can show as rudeness, simply because they were taught to be macho, boys don't cry, etc, etc. But, generalizing, whether it comes to men or women, is utterly unwise, indeed.

GalinaP
12-09-2012, 12:03
If you ain't happy with 50% of the Russian population then why not leave the country?

Or become a lesbian! :D

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I managed to meet 50% of the Russian population just in one dance class :7525:

Lesbian-schmesbian, why is it always lesbian should you criticise somebody?

Potty
12-09-2012, 12:48

I would say 99%. But 1% left is worth staying :inlove:

MashaSashina
12-09-2012, 16:53
GalinaP, frankly speaking you meet very strange people and according to your posts it happens on a regular basis. are you sure you don't demonstrate some kind of victim behavior to attract all those specimens?

GalinaP
12-09-2012, 21:21
No, I don't think so, far from a victim, it's just odd behaviour is much more worth discussing, reflecting on and making conclusions than, say, gossiping about good people, who I also happen to know in big numbers. (see: good words about good people thread)

ddixon85
12-09-2012, 21:41
I would say 99%. But 1% left is worth staying :inlove:

that happens all accross the world in all the countries!

Potty
12-09-2012, 21:48
that happens all accross the world in all the countries!

I agree)

quincy
12-09-2012, 23:05
This is something I've been pondering for a couple of last days, maybe you'll help me solve this mystery.

Sorry but it's about dancing again (maybe not only though). I've been dancing on different levels and in different situations, but when I came to a salsa dancing class on Sunday, it struck me as extremely odd what extreme air of arrogance the Russian men practised their steps in a couple with. Refers to those of them who were of intermediate level dancing with beginners (was a mixed class). Is dancing with a lady not just fun and enjoyment, is it yet another opportunity to prove something? Why, why, why?

many women as well as many men can use any skill they possess to prove themselves!

Ibanez
13-09-2012, 01:27
Personally, with my dancing skills ( or lack of) I would definitely be far from arrogant on the dance floor... :shhhhhh:

GalinaP
13-09-2012, 01:55
Personally, with my dancing skills ( or lack of) I would definitely be far from arrogant on the dance floor... :shhhhhh:

The only situation justifying arrogance is when you are being taken advantage of. At least how I feel.

BabyFirefly
13-09-2012, 02:32
I hate how Russians dance. You can always notice they are counting their steps, they can't screw up or actually, you know, relax and enjoy it. And if they're not good at it, they prefer to just sit down all bored instead. It's weird for me. I tried salsa dancing in Moscow given that's the dance of my country but I just got fed up with dancing with people who didn't want to have fun, who instead just wanted to impress others.

I think it's merely a reflection of the culture. Everything Russians do is to prove something, I've never seen another culture in which individuals care so much about what everyone from random strangers to important folk think about them.

And yes, yes, I know, not every Russian is like that, don't generalize, the whole deal, but I can't think of a single time I went salsa dancing in which the people did anything differently than what I described above. And I spent an excessive amount of time in Moscow in various places just to salsa dance.

GalinaP
13-09-2012, 09:10
I hate how Russians dance. You can always notice they are counting their steps, they can't screw up or actually, you know, relax and enjoy it. And if they're not good at it, they prefer to just sit down all bored instead. It's weird for me. I tried salsa dancing in Moscow given that's the dance of my country but I just got fed up with dancing with people who didn't want to have fun, who instead just wanted to impress others.

I think it's merely a reflection of the culture. Everything Russians do is to prove something, I've never seen another culture in which individuals care so much about what everyone from random strangers to important folk think about them.

And yes, yes, I know, not every Russian is like that, don't generalize, the whole deal, but I can't think of a single time I went salsa dancing in which the people did anything differently than what I described above. And I spent an excessive amount of time in Moscow in various places just to salsa dance.

Thanks, BF, for backing up my point, is really frustrating, isn't it? When supposed to be such great fun! I ended up wishing the teacher didn't put me in a couple and just let me be by myself to enjoy music and the rhythm instead of trying carefully to avoid somebody staring grimly at me!

bydand
13-09-2012, 11:10
Ego.

Potty
13-09-2012, 12:41
I hate how Russians dance.

sure you do :D

molly picon
13-09-2012, 12:59

Yes, everyone has different experiences- that hasn't been my impression at all. I've seen shy Russians too scared to dance and unshy Russians who dance so wildly the floor shakes, but not too many who just seem grim and prissy. Then again, I've only gone salsa dancing once (and had a totally fun time watching a bunch of female office worker types dancing quite happily).

Wilco84
13-09-2012, 14:49
Since I explained my plan to move to Russia, it felt like people almost felt pity for me. Really, Russians are not that bad. After I came here for the first time, I saw that identity is stronger than culture. You'll meet different people everywhere. It's not only about dancing I think :beerbros:

TolkoRaz
13-09-2012, 15:48
I think Russian male's and their lack of dancing skills has something to do with the very odd shoes they love wearing! ;)

TolkoRaz
13-09-2012, 15:49
I hate how Russians dance. .

Is there anything you like about Russian men? :eek: I thought that you are married or co-habiting with one? :confused:

Potty
13-09-2012, 15:49
has something to do with the very odd shoes they love wearing! ;)

what shoes ? :question:

antfidel
13-09-2012, 15:54

Sock + Sandal look is always in Fashion

Potty
13-09-2012, 16:00
Sock + Sandal look is always in Fashion

:mml:
Well, Americans wear huge boots in hot summer weather. I mean males. Females wear flip flops everywhere. Which of these 3 types of shoes do you think are more comfortable for dancing? :D

TolkoRaz
13-09-2012, 16:01

The ones on their feet! :p

I guess being a female, you are too busy looking at other parts of the male anatomy! :p

Potty
13-09-2012, 16:06
The ones on their feet! :p

I guess being a female, you are too busy looking at other parts of the male anatomy! :p

Ok, clear with me. What about you? Why are you so obsessed with Russian males' feet?:inlove:

TolkoRaz
13-09-2012, 16:40
Ok, clear with me. What about you? Why are you so obsessed with Russian males' feet?:inlove:

Not obsessed, its just an observation, but until I stand on a land mine, I am very attached to my pair of feet! ;)

penka
13-09-2012, 16:56

BF, correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that some Russian must have wronged you so badly, that you find it impossible to say anything positive about the nation ever since. That is what I read in your posts, at least.

Unsure dances usually count steps, simply because they are in the learning process. I did that when taking salsa class in Havana. And I know I suck at salsa, haha. My youngest stepson was doing that when practising waltz with me. And he is Swedish. So what? Not a big deal, really.

Potty
13-09-2012, 16:58
Unsure dances usually count steps, simply because they are in the learning process.

exactly.

franzewich
13-09-2012, 21:19

I love to dance myself, particularly salsa. It is great fun, but somewhat more challenging then the average ballroom dance.

Now, the man is supposed to lead the woman, not the other way around, right? And men do not want to embarrass themselves in front of a woman, fair enough? So, to me it is quite normal that an inexperienced dancer is somewhat tense and counting his steps. This does not mean he is not enjoying himself; otherwise he would not dance at all. He just wants to practice and improve to become a more fun dancing partner. What is so bad about it? And, arrogance very often is a sign of lacking self confidence.

My question to you is: when you are in a dance club, how do you act when you get a tied-up partner? Do you quit, or do you help him improve his dancing skills?

GalinaP
13-09-2012, 22:30
I love to dance myself, particularly salsa. It is great fun, but somewhat more challenging then the average ballroom dance.

Now, the man is supposed to lead the woman, not the other way around, right? And men do not want to embarrass themselves in front of a woman, fair enough? So, to me it is quite normal that an inexperienced dancer is somewhat tense and counting his steps. This does not mean he is not enjoying himself; otherwise he would not dance at all. He just wants to practice and improve to become a more fun dancing partner. What is so bad about it? And, arrogance very often is a sign of lacking self confidence.

My question to you is: when you are in a dance club, how do you act when you get a tied-up partner? Do you quit, or do you help him improve his dancing skills?

Once a teacher, always a teacher, have never given up on anybody in my life, help much as I can, it's just discouraging when you try and smile and meet the blank look in return, but no, try, try again.

Don't agree with you about Ballroom though. Interaction is terribly important there too, and leading skills.

franzewich
13-09-2012, 23:58
Once a teacher, always a teacher, have never given up on anybody in my life, help much as I can, it's just discouraging when you try and smile and meet the blank look in return, but no, try, try again.

Don't agree with you about Ballroom though. Interaction is terribly important there too, and leading skills.

Fully agree with you on that: no matter how concentrated, the man should smile at his partner and show her that is happy with her.

I was referring to the combination of steps and figures which, IMHO, takes salsa a bit more time to learn than the classical ballroom dance. I kind of froze the first time I entered a salsa club and watched the couples perform.

You were referring to dance courses, and I think there is another thing to consider: I've taken 4 courses now in different dance styles, and every one of them was conducted by one male teacher only - no female teachers! Means that the teacher practically tought the girls the feeling for rythm and steps, while the guys just could watch. That may add to a certain amount of insecurity.

BTW, what is your favorite dance?

GalinaP
14-09-2012, 07:09
Speaking of Club Latin, have no idea yet, have just started, everything seems great so far. Ballroom - Slow Waltz and Tango, with Foxtrot a very impressive dance if properly learnt (can't say that about myself, sadly). In Latin - all of them are great in their own way - Samba, Cha-Cha, Rumba and Jive - but Pasodoble is for professionals only, in my opinion. In competitions, I was usually given most points for Tango, Smaba and Cha-Cha. What about you?

quincy
14-09-2012, 09:29
In competitions, I was usually given most points for Tango, Smaba and Cha-Cha.

The purpose of dancing is to relax, not to create tension! Leave the perfectionism to the professionals!

timbalada- Plugado na viola - YouTube

franzewich
15-09-2012, 18:07
Speaking of Club Latin, have no idea yet, have just started, everything seems great so far. Ballroom - Slow Waltz and Tango, with Foxtrot a very impressive dance if properly learnt (can't say that about myself, sadly). In Latin - all of them are great in their own way - Samba, Cha-Cha, Rumba and Jive - but Pasodoble is for professionals only, in my opinion. In competitions, I was usually given most points for Tango, Smaba and Cha-Cha. What about you?

Whow, impressive list - can't compete with that! :) My favorite, at the moment, is definitely salsa. My working life is too busy for dancing at the moment, unfortunately. :( Other than that, I love discofox and rock'n roll.

Of course, the classical ballroom is great, too, but there are too few opportunities to dance (except at weddings) and so I'm pretty out of practice in ballroom. Where do you dance in Moscow?

GalinaP
16-09-2012, 00:07
No time for social dancing, sadly, but try and go to dancing classes in Marte whenever I can, they have some great teachers. Other than that, dance everywhere: in my flat, dance when walking in the street, dance when jogging with headphones on, dance on public transport, dance when giving English classes. You can do ballroom with a partner in a very simple way: hire a dance room for a couple of hours, turn your favourite music on, and just get immersed in the magic. My idea of fun, can sound terribly boring, I know. Would love to try discofox and rock-n-roll, though might be an old bag for this. Or could turn just my kind of thing, who knows.

GalinaP
16-09-2012, 00:29
Tried to post my favourite salsa but failed.

franzewich
16-09-2012, 01:39
Tried to post my favourite salsa but failed.

Try again! :)

GalinaP
16-09-2012, 10:07
Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv30OKhyZd4

GalinaP
16-09-2012, 12:54
Here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JwzvRTaxhc

franzewich
16-09-2012, 13:16
Great music, Galina, thank you! Now I'm itching to dance it! :)

Due to stupid copyright laws in Germany, I can't open the second one. :(

GalinaP
16-09-2012, 13:21
Oh, do I know the feeling!!! Are you ever in Moscow?

franzewich
16-09-2012, 13:27
Oh, do I know the feeling!!! Are you ever in Moscow?

Moved away from Moscow early 2010 to work in Warsaw for a year. Things took a bad turn, so I decided not to return but to go back to Munich last year. Visiting Moscow every once in a while, still have nice friends there. Hope to have a chance next year. Maybe you are up for salsa?

GalinaP
16-09-2012, 13:31
I'm up for everything that involves music and moving!