PDA

View Full Version : Question for English teachers

RichardB
08-09-2012, 20:19
Why do non-English speakers say "For sure" instead of saying "certainly" or "okay"?

I've found this with a few Russian native speakers and they (and I) don't know where the phrase / habit came from.

Does anyone have an idea?

Elleworld
08-09-2012, 20:38
Why do non-English speakers say "For sure" instead of saying "certainly" or "okay"?

I've found this with a few Russian native speakers and they (and I) don't know where the phrase / habit came from.

Because it's more 'gangstahhh' saying it like that...foo shoooo..fo shizzle ma nizzle.. yao feel me?;)

it's my theory..

robertmf
08-09-2012, 20:54
Because it's more 'gangstahhh' saying it like that...foo shoooo..fo shizzle ma nizzle.. yao feel me?;)

it's my theory..

:Loco: Are you from Philly :question:

(For me) there's a difference in the probability of occurrence emphasis, like быть может или может быть и наверно.

Englishmanabroad
08-09-2012, 21:06
It's a middle class way of saying I'm sure but but I'm not okay or certain

Elleworld
08-09-2012, 21:23
:Loco: Are you from Philly :question:

(For me) there's a difference in the probability of occurrence emphasis, like быть может или может быть и наверно.

hehe..no I'm not, I just like snoop dogg..:respect:

bob-b-d
08-09-2012, 22:26
In America many times we say for sure... Call me when you find out. For sure!
it's like definitely or will do.

PeteD
08-09-2012, 22:32
If you watch any F1 coverage in English, you will hear all the English commentators saying it too! (BBC or Sky)

My brother and I switch to "for sure" mode, whenever we discuss F1, in a very sarcastic way! :)

swansong
08-09-2012, 23:33
i've had several diff russian students tell me that they were told by their instructors that americans feel the use of 'of course' and 'certainly' are rude, while it is very common here (конечно)....so they apply other synonyms.

tvadim133
08-09-2012, 23:48
i've had several diff russian students tell me that they were told by their instructors that americans feel the use of 'of course' and 'certainly' are rude, while it is very common here (конечно)....so they apply other synonyms.

strange! I have never been told that "of course" or "certanly" was
rude (when I went to school or my university).

But to be honest you are right in saying that Russians use конечно too often and for sure (yes, americanism) is what we use as direct translation which is very simple in memorizing and pronuncing.

There is just one конечно in Russia (the words "безусловно", "определенно" are rary used by younger generation). so "sure" is a simple option for many people who speak English.

but to my opinion, "of course" is used as often as "sure" by Russians, is not it?

robertmf
09-09-2012, 01:30
strange! I have never been told that "of course" or "certainly" was
rude (when I went to school or my university).

But to be honest you are right in saying that Russians use конечно too often and for sure (yes, Americanism) is what we use as direct translation which is very simple in memorizing and pronouncing.

There is just one конечно in Russia (the words "безусловно", "определенно" are rarely used by younger generation). so "sure" is a simple option for many people who speak English.

but in my opinion, "of course" is used as often as "sure" by Russians, is it not ?

How about "sure" is конечно and "for sure" is конечно же :question:

In the vernacular, "sure" and "of course" are the same - just that it's easier to say 1 syllable instead of 2.

"Certainly" and "of course" are only rude when used with a sarcastic|snide or patronizing tone of voice.

Lost in moscow
09-09-2012, 06:16

I use "for sure" and "certainly" and "ok" and "roger that" and "yes" and "sure thing" depending on the topic, situation, and person that I'm talking to.

Are you trying to say that in english grammar it somehow is wrong to use "for sure" instead of "certainly" or "ok"?

robertmf
09-09-2012, 08:39
In America many times we say for sure... Call me when you find out. For sure!
it's like definitely or will do.

Het. You're in Brighton Beach, aren't you :question:

:soccer:

jani3017
09-09-2012, 09:37
It's a middle class way of saying I'm sure but but I'm not okay or certain

I am also agree with my friend.I also think little bit same.:reindeer:

peppermintpaddy
09-09-2012, 12:45
Rude to say of course/certainly? -simply not true,in fact ,nonsense.

I use "for sure" and "certainly" and "ok" and "roger that" and "yes" and "sure thing" depending on the topic, situation, and person that I'm talking to.

Are you trying to say that in english grammar it somehow is wrong to use "for sure" instead of "certainly" or "ok"?FOR SURE is more of an Americanism than English English. It's yet another of those Americanisms that are now creeping across the pond via film and TV use.

Roger that? ahhaha.....I'm afraid I'd laugh out loud if you said that to me....That come from the military radio use of course.....

By the way,do you know the other meaning for Roger/rogering?

swansong
10-09-2012, 19:03
agreed, it's not rude. just repeating what i was told.
I've always considered 'for sure' more of a valley girl/80s thing. Rarely heard used in my extensive research in the southeast and northeast.

Lost in moscow
11-09-2012, 13:15
By the way,do you know the other meaning for Roger/rogering?

I did not, but a quick search in google enlightened me :o
I will refrain from using it ever again unless in proper context :)

okiey
11-09-2012, 22:53
Roger that ... usable, depending on whose in the company:-)

A bit old school though.

peppermintpaddy
11-09-2012, 23:10
Roger that ... usable, depending on whose in the company:-)

A bit old school though.

You wont hear that west of the Shannon tho' ,will you okiey?

okiey
12-09-2012, 00:39
You wont hear that west of the Shannon tho' ,will you okiey?

"not a bother" ...:-)