PDA

View Full Version : Putin to Fly???

Judge
05-09-2012, 23:34
Nice to see Putin take time out from his busy schedule and bring awareness to endangered species.I can't really see him putting on an artificial beak...

President Vladimir Putin might go hang gliding with a flock of Siberian cranes as part of an event aimed at preserving the endangered species.

Dmitry Peskov, Putin's chief spokesman, said the president would attend the event on his way to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Vladivostok. The preservation project, called the Flight of Hope, is taking place in the village of Kushevat in the Yamal-Nenets autonomous district.

Alexander Sorokin, a founder of the project, said Putin might fly a hang glider to help guide the birds, Vedomosti reported.

"The pilot's role is that of the flock's leader," said Yury Markin, head of the Oka State Biosphere Nature Reserve in the Ryazan region. "They show the flight route [to the cranes]."
If Putin decides to glide with the cranes, he will wear a white coat and an artificial beak so that the birds can recognize him as one of their own, Markin said, Russian News Service radio reported. He added that such suits had been worn by the scientists who raised the cranes.

In mid-September the cranes will fly to Central Asia, led by a pilot, and they will winter there.

But the birds' departure is being postponed because of Putin's planned visit, said Tatyana Kashentseva, who is in charge of rare crane species at the reserve.

"[The birds will be sent away] after the boss comes and makes a flight," she said.

Meanwhile, Markin attributed the delay to bad weather.

This is not Putin's first publicized encounter with animals.

In 2008, he visited the Ussuriisky Nature Reserve, where he shot a tigress with a tranquilizer gun and tagged her with a GPS collar. The event caused a scandal when environmentalist Dmitry Molodsov wrote in March 2012 that the tigress was tranquilized before Putin's visit and later died as a result of a sedative overdose. He added that she was not a wild animal, as the government claimed, but was brought from a zoo. Molodsov also said that Putin's official website featured a fake map tracking the tigress' movements and showed photos of a different tigress.

Later several bloggers wrote that the report about the tigress' death had proved incorrect but it is unclear whether the other details are true.

Putin has also taken part in projects to preserve white whales, snow leopards and Amur leopards.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-might-hang-glide-with-cranes/467677.html

RichardB
05-09-2012, 23:57
I wonder what the odds are of him having a fatal crash?

TolkoRaz
06-09-2012, 00:18
It only happens to heroes of mine like General Alexander Lebed of the gravelly voice fame - what a real Russian man and high achiever he proved to be.

Today, The Russian Federation needs more 'no nonsense' men like Alexei.

Alexander Lebed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mrzuzzo
06-09-2012, 00:26
Doesn't he have more important things to accomplish?

TolkoRaz
06-09-2012, 00:31
He could join Expat.Ru and get himself banned within the first week! ;)

RichardB
06-09-2012, 00:33

Nah, that's my job :D

Judge
06-09-2012, 10:26

The article does say that he will drop by on his way to the ''Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit'' at the summit Putin will be helping the country..Since it's on his way why not visit and bring awareness to endangered species? Nobody would have heard about the Siberian cranes, now it's all in the news.

Inola
06-09-2012, 10:52
An expat in Russia: "it's nice of him to bring awareness to endangered species!"

A Russian citizen: "if the President of a country with 40% of its population living on the bredline has no other things to do but to fly with cranes it only means it's high time to get out of said country"

(just citing what I am reading and hearing simultaneously)

Judge
06-09-2012, 11:06
Some people can't win, you try and give support to an endangered species and you get ridiculed for it..

When do we hear about other world leaders doing such things?

I don't think Putin will do this, it's way too dangerous ...but you never know with Putin...

TolkoRaz
06-09-2012, 11:13
The article does say that he will drop by on his way to the ''Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit'' at the summit Putin will be helping the country..Since it's on his way why not visit and bring awareness to endangered species? Nobody would have heard about the Siberian cranes, now it's all in the news.

There are plenty of cranes in Irkutsk and Perm! ;)

Inola
06-09-2012, 11:16
Some people can't win, you try and give support to an endangered species and you get ridiculed for it..

I am all for nature and ecology... and can't help thinking: was the extra environmental pollution from Mr President's plane to make this little turn to Yamal on his way to Vladivostok in order just to put this Superman/Figaro here-Figaro there -type show really worth it?

FatAndy
06-09-2012, 11:20

Not only, Tolik. In European part Ryazan' oblast' has enough of them. See above -Yury Markin, head of the Oka State Biosphere Nature Reserve in the Ryazan region). I know this guy, I took part in field observations of cranes migrations in the Reserve (it was called ОБГЗ) in 1986 and 1987 under his supervision. ;)

Judge
06-09-2012, 11:26
I am all for nature and ecology... and can't help thinking: was the extra environmental pollution from Mr President's plane to make this little turn to Yamal on his way to Vladivostok in order just to put this Superman/Figaro here-Figaro there -type show really worth it?

If Putin went by train it would take him days, people would then say he's wasting time on travelling while she should be running the country...
'environmental pollution' I'm sure the environment there will survive ..

Superman............ like many Russian men ,Putin likes the great outdoors...he's got a chance to spend some time there, why not, no harm is being done... How often does a world leader visit such places...I bet the locals are very happy that Putin will visit,who knows maybe even a boost in tourism..

Judge
06-09-2012, 11:29

There are even cranes in Moscow, just a bit bigger...

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ03d6GfgOHcsjNnJ8bDqxyBeJNLy2iF0pOywTeBuQ5OHPRG2LJ

Inola
06-09-2012, 11:37
If Putin went by train it would take him days, people would then say he's wasting time on travelling while she should be running the country...
'environmental pollution' I'm sure the environment there will survive ..

Superman............ like many Russian men ,Putin likes the great outdoors...he's got a chance to spend some time there, why not, no harm is being done... How often does a world leader visit such places...I bet the locals are very happy that Putin will visit,who knows maybe even a boost in tourism..

I did not suggest he should have gone by train but directly where he was going... A aircraft pollutes more during a take off.

I was born there... Talked to a local yesterday who happens to work for a municipal institution... Since Putin has not left an inscription "Vova was here" (Vova byl zdes) on a ... stone, for example - no boost of pilgrimage is expected...

Ghostly Presence
06-09-2012, 11:37

Of course not! What can be possibly more important than working on the self-image? He is already the ruler of men, now he will become the ruler of all living creatures, those that fly and those that swim! In fact, he is only a few steps away from becoming a Deity! You can't elect a Deity - even speaking about possibility of such an election is blasphemous!

Don't you see how this is a fully logical step in his political evolution?

Inola
06-09-2012, 11:40
Don't you see how this is a fully logical step in his political evolution?

the aim being to become a... Pharaon?
(Talk about evolution...)

Judge
06-09-2012, 11:46
I did not suggest he should have gone by train but directly where he was going... A aircraft pollutes more during a take off.

Then we wouldn't be talking about these cranes, it might make the news, but right at the end with the sports..Now these cranes are on everyone's lips and will be the main news story.

I was born there... Talked to a local yesterday who happens to work for a municipal institution... Since Putin has not left an inscription "Vova was here" (Vova byl zdes) on a ... stone, for example - no boost of pilgrimage is expected...

A piddling little stone isn't necessary, they should put up a statue of Putin..:smokin:

Judge
06-09-2012, 11:48
Putin takes to the sky...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/06/article-2198963-14DC384B000005DC-690_634x421.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/06/article-2198963-14DC1BD4000005DC-994_634x419.jpg

up, up and away................

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/06/article-2198963-14DC2C8B000005DC-175_634x380.jpg

Inola
06-09-2012, 12:02
Then we wouldn't be talking about these cranes, it might make the news, but right at the end with the sports..Now these cranes are on everyone's lips and will be the main news story.

The cranes are alive and flying - certified by news-maker number one - hip-hip-hourah!
I thought his job was chef d'etat, not commander in chief of cranes.

A piddling little stone isn't necessary, they should put up a statue of Putin..:smokin:

Curse that keyboard of yours!

Judge
06-09-2012, 12:20
Here's a video of Putin and the cranes in the sky..

http://rt.com/news/putin-cranes-flying-hope-460/

Ghostly Presence
06-09-2012, 13:31
Judging by the photos, at least the cranes look real. I was afraid that the role of the cranes would be assigned to disguised FSB officers... :) Then again, may be it was.... :)

May be they now have a new deadly division within the Russian special forces - the Cranemen. They look like cranes, they fly like cranes and they would beak their enemy to death for the glory of Mother Russia! :)

Inola
06-09-2012, 14:09
Judging by the photos, at least the cranes look real. I was afraid that the role of the cranes would be assigned to disguised FSB officers... :) Then again, may be it was.... :)

May be they now have a new deadly division within the Russian special forces - the Cranemen. They look like cranes, they fly like cranes and they would beak their enemy to death for the glory of Mother Russia! :)

he-he... Considering that one of the traditional Russian answers to a child's question "where children come from?" is "Cranes bring them", what would be the main activity of that special force "Cranemen"? Fighting the demography crisis?

And what would be the selection criteria to enter that force? :D I shut up before my wild imagination goes further...

celeina
06-09-2012, 14:30

Nah, that's my job :D

Don,t discard me!:verymad:

MashaSashina
06-09-2012, 16:15
Russian version of the news announced VVP to wear a beak. too bad I can't see it at photos.

robertmf
06-09-2012, 16:36

... and the image of a "kinder, softer" Putin to the World ;)

FatAndy
06-09-2012, 16:39
Russian version of the news announced VVP to wear a beak. too bad I can't see it at photos.
No such photos yet. But see a leadership pose! :cool:

BTW, vladimir.vladimirovich.ru has reacted (sorry, I can't translate):
http://vladimir.vladimirovich.ru/2012-9-5/#an3162

mds45
06-09-2012, 18:14
It only happens to heroes of mine like General Alexander Lebed of the gravelly voice fame - what a real Russian man and high achiever he proved to be.

Today, The Russian Federation needs more 'no nonsense' men like Alexei.

Alexander Lebed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lebed)

I usually don't like the cut and paste jobbies but this guy ( whom I'd never heard of is brilliant ) , so here are his quotes, thanks Tolko always a pleasure to find/be shown new interesting people - even dead ones :)

(On the Soviet-Afghan War) "We began the war with lofty aims but ended up with a war against the people."
(On the War of Transnistria): "I am proud that we helped and armed Transnistrian guards against Moldovan fascists".[5]
(On the War of Transnistria): "I told the hooligans [separatists] in Tiraspol and the fascists [government] in Chisinau -- either you stop killing each other, or else I'll shoot the whole lot of you with my tanks."[6]
(On Chechen capital Grozny) "Here we have a Russian city, bombed to bits by Russian planes paid for by Russian taxpayers who are now going to have to pay a second time to rebuild it."
(On the Russian government) "Those who profit are the ones at the top. They keep the doughnut for themselves and give the hole to the people."
(On the Russian Minister of Defence Pavel Grachev) "I don't like prostitutes, whether they are wearing a skirt or trousers."
(On the ultranationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky) "The Lord God's monkey."[7]
(On Alexander Yakovlev, during the 28th Congress of the CPSU) "Alexander Nikolaevich... How many faces have you got?"
(On the Western democracies): "They support Yeltsin who helped start the war in Moldova. I stopped it. He started the war in Chechnya. I stopped it. Who is the greater democrat then, he or I? Is democracy war or peace? I think it is the latter."
(On the Russians) "Most Russians don't care whether they are ruled by fascists or communists or even Martians as long as they can buy six kinds of sausage in the store and lots of cheap vodka."
(On himself) "I am not without sins. There cannot be an airborne assault general who has no sins. I spit on popularity ratings. I live and serve as I see fit."
(On whether he would campaign on behalf of President Yeltsin) "Do I resemble, even remotely, an entertainer?"
Lebed did not consider Ukraine and Belarus nations separate from Russia, nor did he consider Ukrainian and Belarusian languages separate from Russian, (in 1995) he believed both states, with the Russian Federation, would become part of a new state on a confederate basis at the end of the 20th century

Benedikt
06-09-2012, 21:06

and it was actually amazing to see how the cranes were flying behind the little paraplane (is it that what it is called?).On the news at least i saw four of them. And when VV and the pilot were landing they were right behind them.And there are some 20 of them in the bird sanctuary.
And these guys need all the help they can. Putin left the plane there and soon they will fly with all the cranes to Tadzhikistan and stay there during the cold winter. Or make it via India to Pakistan, where they are supposed to be. But it is to dangerous to fly via Afghanistan so most probably they will stay i n Tadshikistan during the winter. next spring they fly back, little plane first, like the -parents- do it with their young. And they will remember and than the next year fly by themselves.
Let it be an advertising and PR gimmick.I have no problem if it is done for a cause like that. And let them get all the help and attention ( and money) they can get and need.

Benedikt
06-09-2012, 21:10
Here's a video of Putin and the cranes in the sky..

http://rt.com/news/putin-cranes-flying-hope-460/

but an ad for RT.com whoever they are.

ezik
08-09-2012, 01:26
Lots of the birds got killed in preparation, according to this article.

I was already wondering why in the video, only two birds followed the plane. In the end only one.

Does the Kremlin have any professional PR staff? If they have, they are a bigger worry for Putin than all the opposition gathered. The saying "which such friends you don't need an enemy" springs to mind.

But, surely, some way will be found to blame it on foreigners or Pussy Riot.

http://www.rferl.org/content/claims-rare-cranes-died-during-putin-stunt/24701513.html

mrzuzzo
08-09-2012, 01:42
^ no real evidence to back that up. We really don't know what happened.

Russian Lad
08-09-2012, 07:02
Putin superhero - YouTube

"James Bond isn't fit to shine his shoes. He's a superman, he's adored by the rich, by celebrities, by professors, by village folk and the West. He'll always be there in your time of need. He'll always protect you. If necessary he'll whack bad guys, even in a toilet. Indeed, Vova rules, and, surely, he rules just the way it should be done."

FatAndy
08-09-2012, 09:26
Lots of the birds got killed in preparation, according to this article.

I was already wondering why in the video, only two birds followed the plane. In the end only one.

Does the Kremlin have any professional PR staff? If they have, they are a bigger worry for Putin than all the opposition gathered. The saying "which such friends you don't need an enemy" springs to mind.

But, surely, some way will be found to blame it on foreigners or Pussy Riot.

http://www.rferl.org/content/claims-rare-cranes-died-during-putin-stunt/24701513.html

The article is very probably based on one post in LJ ("ornitologist" with only name, no surname), now deleted :) Now the surname is discovered. :D

Yes, Putin is Dark Lord of Evil, bloody killer of innocent creatures ;)

tvadim133
08-09-2012, 10:22
the net step of Putin is to help fish

RichardB
08-09-2012, 10:41
I wonder how many backup birds they had just in case some of the originals broke down / died during filming (a la Putins Lada drive)?

:ak:

FatAndy
08-09-2012, 10:54
I wonder how many backup birds they had just in case some of the originals broke down / died during filming (a la Putins Lada drive)?

:ak:
You should read the article above (see link in ezik's post). Dozens (no, hundreds... or thousands?) of them are already broken, died and buried in nameless graves of Arctic.:D

robertmf
08-09-2012, 16:04
You should read the article above (see link in ezik's post). Dozens (no, hundreds... or thousands?) of them are already broken, died and buried in nameless graves of Arctic.:D

The NY Times - All the news that's fit to print - says he guided 6 birds (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/world/europe/putin-pulls-off-his-latest-feat-flying-with-migratory-birds.html)

but I see only 2 cranes in the video (http://www.usatoday.com/video/putin-flys-hang-glider-leading-siberian-cranes/1826226262001)

Bird-brain cranes must be rather stupid to follow a hang-glider

bob-b-d
08-09-2012, 18:56

Nothing is more important than hang gliding

jani3017
09-09-2012, 09:47

When do we hear about other world leaders doing such things?

I don't think Putin will do this, it's way too dangerous ...but you never know with Putin...

I think Mr. Putin will do this.He is a person who do any things.
damdama lake (http://www.corporate-tours.com/?page_id=2504)

robertmf
09-09-2012, 10:01
I think Mr. Putin will do this.He is a person who do any things.

VVP made the NY Times and USA Today in America. Mission accomplished :bong: A kinder, softer KGB.

Why does this board only get active late on Sundays :question: Is everybody in church 3 hour service with The Rusmeister :question:

:drink:

FatAndy
09-09-2012, 10:15
The NY Times - All the news that's fit to print - says he guided 6 birds
Maybe. NY Times knows everything (no doubts). ;)

but I see only 2 cranes in the video
I'll whisper you one secret - video is focused just on another... hmmm... object. ;)

Bird-brain cranes must be rather stupid to follow a hang-glider
They follow The Leader, not hang glider :D

robertmf
09-09-2012, 10:22
Are you working on the board php code ? I can't add a username to the [Ignore] list.

Nevermind. Machts nichts. It work now.

robertmf
09-09-2012, 10:28
Maybe. NY Times knows everything (no doubts). ;)

I'll whisper you one secret - video is focused just on another... hmmm... object. ;)

They follow The Leader, not hang glider :D

:whisper: Are you being Gogol :question:

FatAndy
09-09-2012, 10:43
Are you working on the board php code ? I can't add a username to the [Ignore] list.

You can't ignore me as a mod :D

:whisper: Are you being Gogol :question:
Sometimes, just for fun... ;)

robertmf
09-09-2012, 10:52
You can't ignore me as a mod :D

Sometimes, just for fun... ;)

You should stop by Philly on your way to Disneyland. Ribs. I got serious slow-cooked barby ribs. Corn on the cob too. And rum drinks like mai tai, mojito. Benedikt eat your heart out. :Loco:

:jawdrop: All I need now is BG :bong:

:drink:

FatAndy
09-09-2012, 10:55
:jawdrop: All I need now is BG :bong::drink:
Sorry, bro, I can't be a subst. :D

robertmf
09-09-2012, 10:57
Sorry, bro, I can't be a subst. :D

[Ignore] list edit is working.

Inola
11-10-2012, 11:12
Seems like the cranes couldn't continue their trip without their leader...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/world/europe/putins-cranes-fail-to-migrate-and-turn-back.html?_r=0

mrzuzzo
11-10-2012, 16:09
Seems like the cranes couldn't continue their trip without their leader...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/world/europe/putins-cranes-fail-to-migrate-and-turn-back.html?_r=0

Yeah, that's a shame.

Putin should fly with them to Uzbekistan. And take those morons and fascists such as Udaltsov, Sobchak, Nemtsov, Navalny with him.