PDA

View Full Version : gluten free cereal

Periwinkle
04-09-2012, 11:19
I saw yesterday in Azbuka a new gluten free cereal. It is called Roses and they have two varieties of Muslei - strawberry and cranberry nut. It was at the bottom of the shelf so kind of hard to see.
I usually get Rude Health puffed oats from Globus Gormet, they also carry puffed rice - both gluten free.

Benedikt
04-09-2012, 14:37
I saw yesterday in Azbuka a new gluten free cereal. It is called Roses and they have two varieties of Muslei - strawberry and cranberry nut. It was at the bottom of the shelf so kind of hard to see.
I usually get Rude Health puffed oats from Globus Gormet, they also carry puffed rice - both gluten free.

gluten free is still a hit and miss in Moscow, any sightings therefore are appreciated. even if the shops do not have it all the time and in a great variety.

FatAndy
04-09-2012, 15:34
gluten free is still a hit and miss in Moscow, any sightings therefore are appreciated. even if the shops do not have it all the time and in a great variety.
Somehow yes, but rice (in grain and sometimes noodles) is in every supermarket. Buckwheat (grechka) and millet (psheno) also. They're just not marked as GF.

In addition to Peri's post - in Azbuka vkusa there are also pasta (0.5 kg pack) made of corn flour, and a kind of crackers/"cakes"/bisquits - pressed "popcorn" disks (non-sweet) - both are from Fiorentini TM, Italy. Pasta is ~ 230 rub, crackers ~ 130 rub.
Also Azbuka and some supermarkets have pure corn flour and polenta (also corn flour but milled as more coarse).

robertmf
04-09-2012, 16:02
Somehow yes, but rice (in grain and sometimes noodles) is in every supermarket. Buckwheat (grechka) and millet (psheno) also. They're just not marked as GF.

Perhaps the same milling machines are used to grind all grains, and so the flour products cannot (in truth) be labelled [Gluten Free] :question:

FatAndy
04-09-2012, 16:49
No one of then are flours, just grains. But yes, I think these machines are used for everything

martpark
04-09-2012, 17:26
Perhaps the same milling machines are used to grind all grains, and so the flour products cannot (in truth) be labelled [Gluten Free] :question:

It will say 'may contain traces of gluten' if made in a factory with contaminated machines.

Stokmann's have corn and rice breakfast cereals that i think are gluten free.

robertmf
04-09-2012, 17:36
It will say 'may contain traces of gluten' if made in a factory with contaminated machines.

Stockmann's have corn and rice breakfast cereals that i think are gluten free.

Your "i think" is critical to gluten intolerant people :mml:

Remember you are in Russia :bong: the 'may contain traces of gluten' label is proletarian dialectic theory :rofl:

As a side note, I do not have a gluten intolerance - but I do avoid any and all Chinese food products (http://rense.com/general76/gluten.htm), most esp. with a gluten ingredient.

:jester:

mds45
04-09-2012, 17:58
in the basement of smolenskaya passage is a super market which has a selection of gluten free stuff an stuff :)

martpark
04-09-2012, 18:04
I am a gluten intolerant person and we know that reading ALL labels is essential but thanks for your advice nonetheless.
Your "i think" is critical to gluten intolerant people :mml:

Remember you are in Russia :bong: the 'may contain traces of gluten' label is proletarian dialectic theory :rofl:

As a side note, I do not have a gluten intolerance - but I do avoid any and all Chinese food products (http://rense.com/general76/gluten.htm), most esp. with a gluten ingredient.

:jester:

Periwinkle
04-09-2012, 18:25
If I buy buckwheat or rice I tend to wash it well before use, good to do anyway but it also helps as most factories use the same machines for various products.

If it is cereal and foreign made such as from the US or UK it tends to say gluten free if it is.

There are a lot of Italian gluten free products in Moscow and while we are on the subject of Azbuka they also have gluten free Italian and Spanish bacon and other processed meats. If it is gluten free it will say senza glutine on the Italian ones.
In the nut section there is a selection of Nuts from a UK company whose name escapes me but they are flavored and very nice. Not in all shops but they are present at the one in Sokolniki.
Also Tyrells a British maker of chips and popcorn has gluten free variities in Azbuka. Check the back as not all are gluten free but it will say gluten free if it is.

I think I mentioned on another thread before that Stockmanns carries some Finnish gluten free sausages.

Tsvetnoi central market carries Stokes Real brown sauce that is labeled gluten free and is very nice.

Anyway, to all my gluten free peeps, if you find something new post it please:)

If anyone has found gluten free taco shells, I would love to know. I am hesitant about the Santa Maria I see about.

FatAndy
04-09-2012, 18:26
Brandy and wines supposed to be GF (but not beer) ;)

FatAndy
04-09-2012, 18:38
There are a lot of Italian gluten free products in Moscow and while we are on the subject of Azbuka they also have gluten free Italian and Spanish bacon and other processed meats. If it is gluten free it will say senza glutine on the Italian ones.
Small sausages from Italy with GF mark you may encounter in Perekrestok too (2-3 types).

And my local Shtayer shop near m. Chertanovskaya time to time has sausages (barbecue/grill mix and Bavarians) produced in Austria, also GF labelled.

Regarding buckwheat I not only wash it before cooking, but spill out boiling water and fill with new just from the kettle in the process, 2-3 times.

If you use millet, it's better to wash it several times till the kind of slight foam disappears in the evening, and leave in water for the night, then wash once again in the morning and boil.

Leda
04-09-2012, 19:15
If there is a "lactose free" thread please advise.

robertmf
04-09-2012, 19:18
Brandy and wines supposed to be GF (but not beer) ;)

Growing up, I never even heard of gluten intolerance, nor lactose intolerant ... only in ..umm.. maybe the last half decade or so.

robertmf
04-09-2012, 19:21
If there is a "lactose free" thread please advise.

lactose and gluten free come up on expat.ru every so often. :fudd: [Search] is your friend :sunny:

Leda
04-09-2012, 19:29
Just thought I would get away with someone else doing it for me: questions like "what is the weather like" or "how to marry my russian gf/bf" seem to be getting reasonable responses :D

Periwinkle
04-09-2012, 19:34
Growing up, I never even heard of gluten intolerance, nor lactose intolerant ... only in ..umm.. maybe the last half decade or so.

I never heard of gluten intolerance either growing up but lactose I did. It turns out I have Celiac disease but have only known for a few years. Even in that short time it has become easier to find products and eat out. One danger is that sometimes people think you are on a fad diet so they are not really careful. I was at a burger place in the US that had a gluten free menu and burgers that came with gluten free buns, the waitress came back and asked if I was on a diet or if I had a gluten intolerance because the kitchen needed to know.

Benedikt
04-09-2012, 21:36
[

[
there is no such a thing as gluten -ingredient-.But in chinese food and cooking also sometimes a big amount of MSG or MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE is being used. this is an artificial flavor enhancer. and people who react to that can get an upset stomach, start sweating and the like. it is not an allergie, there is no such a thing but an intolerance. and more and more it is also being used in other products as well. check out wiki, type into google or yahoo -other names for MSG- and you will be surprised what the stuff is being called these days and where it is being used. all convenience food, most sausages and the like have it. nothing much natural these days anymore.

Periwinkle
04-09-2012, 21:56
[

[
there is no such a thing as gluten -ingredient-.But in chinese food and cooking also sometimes a big amount of MSG or MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE is being used. this is an artificial flavor enhancer. and people who react to that can get an upset stomach, start sweating and the like. it is not an allergie, there is no such a thing but an intolerance. and more and more it is also being used in other products as well. check out wiki, type into google or yahoo -other names for MSG- and you will be surprised what the stuff is being called these days and where it is being used. all convenience food, most sausages and the like have it. nothing much natural these days anymore.

Chinese food is risky for Celiacs because a lot of soy sauce surprisingly contains wheat. Many spice mixes and such also contain binding agents that may have gluten.
Btw if anyone is ever in the US PFChangs (Chinese) has a gluten free menu and the food is wonderful. I know they are a chain on the East Coast but not sure of their range. They are very careful, gluten free meals even come on marked plates (a different design).

martpark
04-09-2012, 22:22
Just thought I would get away with someone else doing it for me: questions like "what is the weather like" or "how to marry my russian gf/bf" seem to be getting reasonable responses :D

All Valio cheese from Finland is lactose free.

http://ammattilaiset.valio.fi/portal/page/portal/valiocom/company_information/products_international_sales/zero_lactose26092007162852

martpark
04-09-2012, 22:37
Chinese food is risky for Celiacs because a lot of soy sauce surprisingly contains wheat. Many spice mixes and such also contain binding agents that may have gluten.
Btw if anyone is ever in the US PFChangs (Chinese) has a gluten free menu and the food is wonderful. I know they are a chain on the East Coast but not sure of their range. They are very careful, gluten free meals even come on marked plates (a different design).

I've always avoided Soy Sauce unless it says GF. Stockmann used to carry it and now doesn't.

Found this on their website. Not sure how true that is.

Soy sauce

Soy sauce is one of the staples in Asian cuisine. It is a substitute for salt, and gives food umami, or savouriness, and a beautiful dark tone. The soy sauce used in Japanese cuisine is made using traditional methods in a natural cooking process, whereas soy sauces in Chinese cuisine are cooked for a significantly shorter period of time. This is why the taste of the Chinese soy sauces is not as rich and does not have as much umami as the Japanese soy sauces. Soy sauce light is the most aromatic of the soy sauces. It gives food umami but no dark colour. The Japanese tamari soy sauce is made without wheat. All soy sauces, including those containing wheat, are suitable for coeliacs since wheat gluten disintegrates in the fermentation process into a form that does not cause health problems to coeliacs.

Leda
04-09-2012, 22:51
[

[

Benedikt, MSG is not really artificial. It is a natural chemical derived from seaweed or a product of bacterial fermentation. Many people including myself do react to it but usually the reaction is of minor kind. On the other hand speaking about real chinese food, do you imagine anybody in the world consuming THAT if it didn't contain msg? Also the theory that MSG is harmful for humans has never been proven to be true.

Periwinkle
04-09-2012, 22:53
I've always avoided Soy Sauce unless it says GF. Stockmann used to carry it and now doesn't.

Found this on their website. Not sure how true that is.

Soy sauce

Soy sauce is one of the staples in Asian cuisine. It is a substitute for salt, and gives food umami, or savouriness, and a beautiful dark tone. The soy sauce used in Japanese cuisine is made using traditional methods in a natural cooking process, whereas soy sauces in Chinese cuisine are cooked for a significantly shorter period of time. This is why the taste of the Chinese soy sauces is not as rich and does not have as much umami as the Japanese soy sauces. Soy sauce light is the most aromatic of the soy sauces. It gives food umami but no dark colour. The Japanese tamari soy sauce is made without wheat. All soy sauces, including those containing wheat, are suitable for coeliacs since wheat gluten disintegrates in the fermentation process into a form that does not cause health problems to coeliacs.

Interesting. I buy the gluten free soy sauce from Stockmanns and had just hoped they were out. They go through periods when they run out of things, hopefully it comes back.
But as to the soy sauce wheat thing, if it is all gluten free, why put gluten free only on some.... Will have to look further into that. The brand that had the gluten free at Stockmanns, only had it on one of their range.

Though as to fermentation, could very well be true, as spirits are supposed to be gluten free through distillation.

Tamari sauce, will look into that as well. Would be a good alternative if Stockmann does not bring back the soy.

robertmf
05-09-2012, 00:46
Benedikt, MSG is not really artificial. It is a natural chemical derived from seaweed or a product of bacterial fermentation. Many people including myself do react to it but usually the reaction is of minor kind. On the other hand speaking about real chinese food, do you imagine anybody in the world consuming THAT if it didn't contain msg? Also the theory that MSG is harmful for humans has never been proven to be true.

I read somewhere that MSG can be considered a 5th sensory flavor for the tongue along with ...umm.. salt, bitter, acid, sweet.
... googling ...

MSG in foods acts through our taste buds on the tongue giving us the “umami” taste sensation, which means delicious in Japanese. This “umami” taste is termed the fifth taste sense of our basic tastes, and is described as meaty, brothy, and savory.
Umami article (http://www.scq.ubc.ca/msg-more-than-meets-the-tongue/)

As a food additive, MSG seems to be a health non-issue.
Mayo Clinic take on MSG (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251)

FatAndy
05-09-2012, 10:54
I know.

Benedikt
05-09-2012, 11:13
if you have a fish soup and not enough fish, add a spoonful of MSG and the soups will taste better than the freshest Bouillabaisse in Marseille. and that just fools our taste buds. you get no extra nourishment,nothing out of it. And to me that is the idea of eating.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/HowIsItManufactured.html
sorry,lots to read.

MSg today is made mainly by fermenting gen altered bacteria, for sure nothing natural there.

Seaweed is to expensive, hard to collect and to clean and so forth, therefore it is being used in higher class products and production.

Since many years the stuff has no place in any of my spice shelves, not in the kitchens where i work, neither at home. i can not control the use in products that i have to buy in but since it is more often than not used in soup and sauce powders ( use in a restaurant that is) i prefer to make things from scratch.

FatAndy
05-09-2012, 11:49
MSg today is made mainly by fermenting gen altered bacteria, for sure nothing natural there.
Does "synthetic" and "natural" glutamate (which is sodium salt of usual aminoacid) differ? ;)

Benedikt
05-09-2012, 12:36
Does "synthetic" and "natural" glutamate (which is sodium salt of usual aminoacid) differ? ;)

but the public is being deceived thinking the stuff is being made from some natural product.
to me this is the same as -natural- and -natur identical- flavoring. cheating, for money's sake.

Periwinkle
18-09-2012, 10:31
I found gluten free oats the same brand Rosie's, at Azbuka yesterday. It is hard to find gluten free oats. Oats are naturally gluten free but are often processed in facilities that are not, so are not gluten free due to cross contamination.
Yay, for gluten free oats in Moscow:)
I am still finishing up some packets I brought from home but bought a box of Rosie's, so will have it.