PDA

View Full Version : Lighthearted Moscow gripes

RichardB
03-09-2012, 20:16
I love Moscow but sometimes it just drives me :mad:

Silly things such as I visit a supermarket, pay for my goods and then you can't be bothered to HAND me my change, you simply put it on till and expect me to pick it up myself AND YET you are more than happy to invade my personal space on the Metro and squash me into a corner.

Arghh!

Delta268
03-09-2012, 20:44
So?

BabyFirefly
03-09-2012, 20:52
Everything is so crowded all the time.

Benedikt
03-09-2012, 21:31
Arghh![/QUOTE]
a cashier told me that long ago,
when they put the money on the pad or wherever they put it you have a bigger chance to to see and count if the change was correct. and complain straight away if needed. after all cashiers are also people and do make mistakes. but if she puts all the change into your hand, most of the time you just close it, stuff the change into your pocket and walk out. and maybe at home or somewhere else you might detect that you were short changed. but it is to late now.
for reasons also they tear into the cash receipt from the till, a left over from the cccp times, so you can't use it a second time.

Jas
03-09-2012, 21:37
I doubt that Moscow is a place some people can handle. If you're a guy, you need to be pretty tough as well as smart. I can see how Yakes can manage it here.
But some snivelling little wimp is just going to end up slinking back home to wherever he's from. Moscow is not for spineless pipsqueaks.

MikeyP
03-09-2012, 21:39
When people see you running they assume you've stolen something or someone is chasing you... even if you're dressed in lycra!

OK.. that's probably not true, but it feels like it is!

yakspeare
03-09-2012, 21:43
I doubt that Moscow is a place some people can handle. If you're a guy, you need to be pretty tough as well as smart. I can see how Yakes can manage it here.
But some snivelling little wimp is just going to end up slinking back home to wherever he's from. Moscow is not for spineless pipsqueaks.

Oh even Yakes can't handle Moscow and lives in Krasnodar. I could handle Kazan too though, I really liked it there and Yoshkar Ola and Volgograd.

Moscow traffic and metro would drive me crazy, but I do see a lot of benefits to Moscow, but overall it is much better here(and a lot cheaper.)

2.5-3 hours to the Black Sea, and 1.5 hours to the mountains for skiing and trekking, are just some of the benefits of living here. Plus we don't always have a winter(and it is a short one when we do.)

Jas
03-09-2012, 21:44
When people see you running they assume you've stolen something or someone is chasing you... even if you're dressed in lycra!

OK.. that's probably not true, but it feels like it is!

How true! You make a sudden move across a shop and someone is shouting, "Devushka!," or the okrana are following you every place you go.

Jas
03-09-2012, 21:48
Oh even Yakes can't handle Moscow and lives in Krasnodar. I could handle Kazan too though, I really liked it there and Yoshkar Ola and Volgograd.

Moscow traffic and metro would drive me crazy, but I do see a lot of benefits to Moscow, but overall it is much better here(and a lot cheaper.)

2.5-3 hours to the Black Sea, and 1.5 hours to the mountains for skiing and trekking, are just some of the benefits of living here. Plus we don't always have a winter(and it is a short one when we do.)

Well you're anything but puny!

I was to Yoshkar Ola, it's near here, in Mari El. You should come to Kazan also, as you're interested in Islam and know about trends within it.

yakspeare
03-09-2012, 22:03
Well you're anything but puny!

I was to Yoshkar Ola, it's near here, in Mari El. You should come to Kazan also, as you're interested in Islam and know about trends within it.

I have been to Yoshkar Ola many times. Kazan only once but loved it, especially the white kremlin. stayed in the sulemein palace hotel. Kazan was great except when i got last one night in -35c and after a few hours in it i was getting damn cold and a bit concerned. had several job offers to go back there but none came to pass and I decided on focusing on Medicine.

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 22:04

Silly things such as I visit a supermarket, pay for my goods and then you can't be bothered to HAND me my change, you simply put it on till and expect me to pick it up myself AND YET you are more than happy to invade my personal space on the Metro and squash me into a corner.

Arghh!

Be a man, stop being a timid mouse! :fudd:

Jas
03-09-2012, 22:33
Be a man, stop being a timid mouse! :fudd:

Women don't like mice...... Just sayin'

It's mousey men who beat their wives.

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 22:44
Women don't like mice...... Just sayin'

It's mousey men who beat their wives.

I find little men the worst; they always think they have something to prove because they are below average male size, tend to be overly aggressive, vindictive and always try to assert their authority and have the last word! :coffee:

I guess that they have an inferiority complex, whereas people like Yakety Yak Yakespeare tend to be gentle giants because they have nothing to prove and seem to actually work hard at not intimidating smaller people! :book:

Jas
03-09-2012, 22:47
I find little men the worst; they always think they have something to prove because they are below average male size, tend to be overly aggressive and always want the last word! :coffee:

I guess that they have an inferiority complex, whereas people like Yakety Yak Yakespeare tend to be gentle giants because they have nothing to prove and seem to actually work hard at not intimidating smaller people! :book:

A guy like you who was in Peshawar or Yakes, that's what's real men. You can respect it, really you can. But some puny wimp who just wants to winge and hang with the women........ who respects such a pipsqueak? Grovelling and snivelling and on their knees cos they got nothing. It's a disgrace to a man. They got no self respect even. Yes, they are agressive... with people smaller than what's themselves. But you can also learn Thai kickboxing, just like I did. So I agree with you, Tolki.

cheriedeperth
03-09-2012, 22:47

Arghh!

This custom isn't confined to Russia/Moscow. I was surprised to come across this the first time I went to France. As well as receiving your change this way it's also more polite to put the money you're paying with down on the counter instead of putting it directly into the hand of the person serving you.

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 22:50
In Germany, it goes into a plate or tray more often than not!

I can't see what the problem is :confused:

Jas
03-09-2012, 22:51
Tolki, Yakes, Martpark, Judge...

Goodbye then.

x x x

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 22:52
So I agree with you, Tolki.

Bozhe Moi, we agree on something at long last! :D

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 22:53

Goodbye then.

x x x

Where are you going? :eek:

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 23:26
A guy like you who was in Peshawar or Yakes, that's what's real men.

Jas, were you in Peshawar when the Pearl Continental was attacked?

CCTV Footage - Peshawar Suicide Attack caught on security cams- YouTube

The hotel owner is a very famous Pakistani man who also owns the Marriott Islamabad which has been attacked 3 times! :eek: I am sure you know of him! ;)

FatAndy
04-09-2012, 10:41
Rich, if you want to have personal space, obviously you shouldn't use metro. Buy a car and have your way in your own "small metal house on wheels".

TolkoRaz
04-09-2012, 20:23
Anybody heard from JasTastic today?

Post 17 is a little worrying? :eek:

RichardB
04-09-2012, 20:25

Goodbye then.

x x x

Don't forget to close the door on your way out.

RichardB
04-09-2012, 20:25

Post 17 is a little worrying? :eek:

"Drama queen" mode.

Judge
04-09-2012, 20:28

Nope,yesterday she said she's taking a break from the forum ...
Another thread started up about her, she didn't like it(would bring out her fans) and said she's off on a break..
Hope she returns soon....

TolkoRaz
04-09-2012, 20:38
Thanks Judge for the update, I didn't see the thread started about her, but glad all is well - she might benefit from a break away from the keyboard :book:

Judge
04-09-2012, 20:45
You're welcome.... it's good to have a break from time to time, even a Kit kat to go with the break..

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk2w3rl4CB_W4FChyytnxleT8KmlcxswwXGWb3XQd9pIpaSep5

harrycallaghan
04-09-2012, 20:46
Light hearted moscow gripes.... last night a person entered my home while my girlfriend, my 1 year old daughter and i were sleeping, they left no trace except for the last hall in a a package of halls soothers (the black kind) on the top shelf of my fridge. They left and didnt take anything, there were no foot prints or marks anywhere. They checked out my jar of mustard (a rare thing in russia apparently) and left through the door. (we deadbolt the door when at home) it was open this morning when i checked...

TolkoRaz
04-09-2012, 21:25
This would make me gripe!

Angry Mob Attack Drunk Bulldozer Driver after He Damaged Cars in Russia - YouTube

TolkoRaz
04-09-2012, 21:27
Light hearted moscow gripes.... last night a person entered my home while my girlfriend, my 1 year old daughter and i were sleeping, they left no trace except for the last hall in a a package of halls soothers (the black kind) on the top shelf of my fridge. They left and didnt take anything, there were no foot prints or marks anywhere. They checked out my jar of mustard (a rare thing in russia apparently) and left through the door. (we deadbolt the door when at home) it was open this morning when i checked...

As long as they didn't drink your beer supply, alls well that ends well! ;)

TolkoRaz
13-09-2012, 15:57
The Perekhod has always puzzled me - Specifically pedestrians having 15 seconds or an otherwise ridiculously limited period of time to cross 4 lanes and a Zil lane! :eek:

I know its an Olympic Year and there are some extremely fit people in Moscow and beyond the Capital, but there is no way that pensioners, the disabled or women with children or those laden with shopping can cross in the time allocated! :book:

Are the authorities trying to make a pedestrian's life more interesting, get them fitter, further frustrate already frustrated drivers who have to wait for the stragglers to safely reach the other side of the road or more worryingly, are they trying to reduce the size of the population? :10310:

Inola
13-09-2012, 16:05
The Perekhod has always puzzled me - Specifically pedestrians having 15 seconds or an otherwise ridiculously limited period of time to cross 4 lanes and a Zil lane! :eek:

I know its an Olympic Year and there are some extremely fit people in Moscow and beyond the Capital, but there is no way that pensioners, the disabled or women with children or those laden with shopping can cross in the time allocated! :book:

Are the authorities trying to make a pedestrian's life more interesting, get them fitter, further frustrate already frustrated drivers who have to wait for the stragglers to safely reach the other side of the road or more worryingly, are they trying to reduce the size of the population? :10310:

The pedestrians are supposed to be the speedy ones, not the cars...

TolkoRaz
13-09-2012, 16:38
The pedestrians are supposed to be the speedy ones, not the cars...

LOL! :) Perhaps pedestrians should wear one of these! ;)

Inola
13-09-2012, 16:44
...and run screaming: "eee-ouuuu-eee-ouuuuu!"