PDA

View Full Version : should Russia get out of the Olympics?

Benedikt
03-09-2012, 15:53
and concentrate more on the Paralympics?:thumbsup: My question is of course tongue in cheek.

Not even halftime yet and they are on 3. place already in Medal count.Respect for all the athletes who take part. And VV, the ministry of sports also should notice.

My little Austria already has 5 medals, alas no Gold yet. We had NOTHING to show for the Olympics. The Austrian Sports and Culture Ministry is now for sure re thinking where to put the money the Sports organisations are asking for every year.

http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/medals/medal-count/

Inola
03-09-2012, 15:56
My congrats to Austria!

TolkoRaz
03-09-2012, 15:56
More importantly, I am really impressed and surprised at China's medal standing - I hadn't realised that they must have an impressive healthcare provision for the disabled.

mrzuzzo
03-09-2012, 18:14
More importantly, I am really impressed and surprised at China's medal standing - I hadn't realised that they must have an impressive healthcare provision for the disabled.

Knowing that it's China, they probably make only perfectly healthy children into disabled persons at a really young age, then they are separated from the rest of the world, training for years and years, not even being able to talk to their families.

robertmf
03-09-2012, 18:21
... My little Austria already has 5 medals, alas no Gold yet. We had NOTHING to show for the Olympics. The Austrian Sports and Culture Ministry is now for sure re thinking where to put the money the Sports organisations are asking for every year.

I should think Austria does much better at the Winter Olympics events.

Benedikt
03-09-2012, 20:36
Knowing that it's China, they probably make only perfectly healthy children into disabled persons at a really young age, then they are separated from the rest of the world, training for years and years, not even being able to talk to their families.

i am sure with 1.5 billion Chinese around there are plenty unfortunate disabled people who can compete.

Benedikt
03-09-2012, 20:47
I should think Austria does much better at the Winter Olympics events.

and of course with all these mountains around we do indeed make more. and we make more medals, the sponsor ship is also better, government subsidies the same. But making not even one medal made them re think the whole summer olympics. start training from very young and hopefuls will be sponsored for all the time, going to school and have training sessions the whole week and not only a few hours a day. and even at a later stage, the young people will
train and learn a profession so they know they also will be secure and have a job.when their sporting career is over. Took the Austrian sport association long to realize that.
We had a time when riding,shooting, fencing and the like -Army business- got us medals.For reasons unknown to me nothing more is happening there anymore.

mrzuzzo
03-09-2012, 21:33
i am sure with 1.5 billion Chinese around there are plenty unfortunate disabled people who can compete.

I'm sure they are, but that's not how the Chinese mentality works.

One of the girls who won a gold medal in gymnastics didn't know that her father died a year before the Olympics even happened, that's how shielded those athletes are from the outside world, and that's why they compete so well.

Jas
03-09-2012, 21:34
Britain done better than everyone at the Olympics proportion to its population of just 70 million- again, just as I predicted.

martpark
03-09-2012, 23:31
According to one website, Russian had the best record according to competitiveness of the sport, meaning they won more medals at sports that had more competitors. Not bad.