PDA

View Full Version : How to close bank account?

Ildy
03-09-2012, 00:32
I have an Raiffeisen bank account where I get paid to. I am transferring to a new job and leaving Moscow. However I will still get one salary, after I leave the country for good. I have internet banking, so I will be able to empty the bank account, but can I close it over the phone, or do I need to be there is person? :shhhhhh:
Thanks for your advice!

Benedikt
03-09-2012, 05:28
Thanks for your advice![/QUOTE]

because you have to sign that you are closing the account. or take out all your money and leave 1 ruble on it. And forget about it. if there is no movement, there is also no charge.
However if you have a raiffeisen credit/debit card and don't need or want it anymore you have to hand it in,cut it up there. Because if there is no minimum use you will be charged an account- card handling fee and that will be debited to your account. (That can differ from case to case. depends what contract you have). There is also a customer support e mail, write to them and ask. They DO answer e mails and phones.

Nobbynumbnuts
03-09-2012, 06:03
I have an Raiffeisen bank account where I get paid to. I am transferring to a new job and leaving Moscow. However I will still get one salary, after I leave the country for good. I have internet banking, so I will be able to empty the bank account, but can I close it over the phone, or do I need to be there is person? :shhhhhh:
Thanks for your advice!

.....or just leave the account open. You never know you might be back one day and it'll save you a time opening another account. ;)

FatAndy
03-09-2012, 07:16
Thanks for your advice!
You have to be there in person, but not exactly the same division where account was opened. It's enough to visit just nearest bank office WITH PASSPORT and write a claim (заявление).

Ice Code
03-09-2012, 08:55
With regard to leaving account opened: there is a service fee charged annually.

scd167
03-09-2012, 09:07
Thanks for your advice!

If you are not planning to return anytime soon and have someone you trust here in Russia, then you could also leave them with a specific power of attorney (PoA) that allows them to close the bank account for you. The PoA would have to be notarized here in Russia for a nominal fee. A notary can prepare the exact wording for you and notarize it. I have done something similar with Raiffeisen (having someone pick up a new bank card while I was out of country) in the past and they accepted the PoA.

FatAndy
03-09-2012, 09:46
With regard to leaving account opened: there is a service fee charged annually.
Not always. If it is "salary" account organised by employer, it's usually free.

Ian G
03-09-2012, 11:36
Ildy- you just need to check with Raiffeissen what will happen if your account is left open- and specifically make sure there is no annual fee for keeping the account open or having a card. (Even if paid by your employer- your employer won't want to continue paying your account fee year after year once you have left).

A word of warning- from experience- if your account is empty and there is an annual fee,you must close the account. Raiffeissen won't tell you if your account goes overdrawn- they'll just say nothing, deduct the card fee from your balance, let it go into overdraft and charge a high rate of interest. Something ridiculous like 1 per cent a day. The only way you can close the account will be to pay the 'debt'.

The best bet will be for you to arrange for your employer to pay your last salary in a way that is convenient for you. Eg. by bank transfer, western Union transfer etc.

Benedikt
03-09-2012, 14:06
had to go there to check something and asked them.

Suppose i will write about Raiffeisen only. Other banks might have different regulations.
if the company opens the account for you and they pay in your salary, Raiffeisen still charges YOU 180 rubles for each payment made by the employer.

if you close the account completely you have to come in person to your branch,NOT just anyone, with your passport, sign the papers there and you get all your money. or whatever you instruct them what do do.

if you just close the account but want to re open at a later stage, there is no charge for anything. But if you also keep your debit/credit card there is a handling fee of 20 Euro /25$ /800 rubles a year.

And not related to this but that was the reason to go to the bank.
if you change your telephone/handy number you also must inform the bank.If you want to buy tickets/whatever via internet and pay they ask for a telephone number. and it must be the same that your bank has. makes no sense to me, because i could use my wife's or daughter's handy, which is a different number. they say it is just another safeguard. well, i never argue with the bank.
when paying on the internet with credit card i needed a 6 digit verification code that was supposed to be sent to my handy number as SMS after 2 minutes.. which i had to give when i was filling out the online form. but because it was different, i used my wife's handy, from the one the bank had, i could not finish the transaction, the computer refused. ( again, maybe not every bank wants that procedure, i just write about raiffeisen)i had to schlepp all the way to the agency to buy a ticket.

Instead of my Passport i have now my permanent residence permit with me as ID. The bank will not accept that as ID unless it is also written into your account information. And you had signed for it.
Never mind how many times i go to the bank and the know me there, they still always ask for my ID. Fair enough, they remember my name but not the permit number and that has to be entered before my account opens. No, hello,i need please and the computer opens up. Very strict the bankers there.

FatAndy
03-09-2012, 14:24
Thanks for detailed info about Raiffeisen, Benedikt.
I've closed my salary account in Master-bank's office near my home, and it was opened by my former employer in the bank division on the other end of Moscow. For 2 or 3 months it was free for me and would remain free if I'd decide to use it further, I asked them specially.
Another "salary" account I have from PSB (PromSvyazBank) and it's also free.

They've asked to see my passport and I had to write claim to close the account. Several roubles left on the account after full cash withdrawal they've transfered to my mobile phone number.

Ildy
05-09-2012, 23:50
Thanks all! I guess I just need to convince my company to pay me some other way, or make one more "sightseeing trip" to Moscow :11581: