PDA

View Full Version : convenient visa run

svelt
23-10-2007, 16:38
i have posted elsewhere in this segment but without result. i need info/feedback on which are currently the easiest, quickest and hopefully cheapest visa run option cities. is it kiev, tallinn, bonn, other???????????????? your thoughts required asap please..................ta very much

Proper Bostonian
23-10-2007, 17:19
Given all the discussion and concerns about the new regulations concerning visas, I don't think anyone's in a position to tell you where to go unfortunately. Sorry.

svelt
24-10-2007, 15:18
Given all the discussion and concerns about the new regulations concerning visas, I don't think anyone's in a position to tell you where to go unfortunately. Sorry.

appreciate it thanks.... it becomes a nightmare again. i just have to go for the temp then permanent residency as soon as i can get back in. they will want a visa for my russian born cat next.

vantru
25-10-2007, 09:55
I just came back from Kiev, on a Visa run, and I have to say that it was a pleasant experience(Kiev, if time is not the issue..12hrs and 50min each way.., can also be reached in a cheap way..overnight train 1250 rubles each way/1750 rubles the fancy train). I went from the train station, came in on an overnight train leaving Moscow at 21:20 and arriving in Kiev at 8:50 (local time), to the Embassy, open from 10:00 to 13:00(for filing) and 15:00 to 17:00 (for pick up), and I filed the paper in few minutes infact at 12:00 I was already checking into a Hotel (same day service was not possible on that day..they deny same day service when they are very busy...). I suggest to bring everything you could need and make 2 copies of each document, just to be sure that you are not going to spend a dollar per copy at the embassy (There is also one other paper you need to make a copy of..the Ukranian migration card that is given to you upon entering the country..). I had with me the following documents: Invitation, Travel Insurance (valid for the same amount of time as the visa), HIV test, a picture (3X4 cm) and my passport (HIV test turned out not to be needed, remember to bring the original of the insurance and after they see it they keep the copy). PAYMENTS CAN BE MADE ONLY IN US$ AND LOCAL CURRENCY...do not under any circumstances exchange money at the train station, it is the biggest rip off in history, there is a very convenient Bank around the corner from the embassy and they have a good exchange rate.I also confirm that my Visa has the 90-180 rules printed on it, therefore on a year ME visa you can stay in Russia 90 days then leave for 90 days and then came back to stay 90 more day for a total stay in 1 year of 180 days...This is what the person in charge, at the Consulate in Kiev, has explained to me and this is not what I wanted to hear. The cost for EC residents is 160 USD-1 yr ME Visa, for USA residents, i read on the sheet, it is about 450 USD.
I hope the story of my experience can help you or someone else.
P.S. Here is the Embassy website Посольство Российской Федерации в Украине :: (http://www.embrus.org.ua/) and if you understand russian you can get additional infos, directions..forms etc.If you don't speak russian you can do this:when you are in the website on the left there is a menu, click on консульский отдел then on информация о консольском отделе and you get directions, address, phone numbers and opening hrs.....then, if you are american(both forms' links, by mistake, have forms for american citizens), you could go to the english section on type of visas explanations where you can download the forms to fill up..so click on консульский отдел and then on порядок оформления виз then from there you will know what to do.

Garibaldi
25-10-2007, 11:17
Lappeenranta, Finland.

Easy connection by train from Moscow, leave Moscow late evening, arrive at 9 am, so that you can actually get your visa the same day and leave the same night (about 8 pm) so no need to stay in a hotel.

vantru
25-10-2007, 12:20
Hey Giuseppe,

Could you be so kind and tell me if what I have heard last month is true???Finnland was my 1st choice for my visa run but I have been told couple of worrysome things:
1) HIV test, for the modical amount of 150$, has to be taken in Finnland all the tests brought in are not valid
2) You have to be in Finnland for 48 hrs before you can apply for a visa to Russia

If you would be able to clarify this I would be very grateful to you even if in the future visa runs would be basically very rare, due to new regulations.

Garibaldi
25-10-2007, 12:22
As far as I know this is not true. I have heard of this problem in Helsinki but not in Lappeenranta.

I get my aids test at the UPDKa clinic here in Moscow and bring it with me. No problems whatever.

vantru
25-10-2007, 12:31
Thanks,
I always get mine at Invitro, good place.
Usual BS from someone that did not have anything better to do but now with the new laws I will haveto go to my country anyway.

Rustralian
25-10-2007, 17:42
If you get your Visa at Helsinki then you MUST get your HIV test done at the clinic in Helsinki that they nominate - no choice, and if you have a HIV test from Russia (even done in the correct manner as per the Regulations) they will NOT accept it. The clinic is very quick and good though, they do an overnight service and if you use an agency for your visa (if you don't, you will have to line up outside the Russian Embassy for a few days to try to get in, so it is basically use an agency or don't bother) they will get your visa the same day. Have the HIV tests to them by about 1:00pm and they have your visa by about 4:00pm.

The same for London, use the agency around the corner from the Russian Embassy and they do a same day service for you. I arrived at about 10pm dropped off my papers in their letterbox about Midnight, they go the Embassy at about 3:00am and start standing in line and do deliveries to their person and have the visa to you by 4:00pm. They don't need HIV tests either, on the theory that you may not stay more than 90 days, but I gave them one anyway.

Maxim
25-10-2007, 18:39
If you get your Visa at Helsinki then you MUST get your HIV test done at the clinic in Helsinki that they nominate - no choice, and if you have a HIV test from Russia (even done in the correct manner as per the Regulations) they will NOT accept it.They accepted test made in Russia in Norwegian embessy...

Garibaldi
27-10-2007, 10:08
In response to PM's I have received concerning visa run at Lappeenranta:

Take the Moscow-Helsinki train to Vainikkala (spelling?), it's the first stop over the border. Train leaves late in evening, arrives Vainikkala 9 am.

From the station, take a taxi or the bus to Lappeenranta, bus is 5.2 euros, about 20 min. It leaves shortly after train arrives.

The consulate is in the center of Lappeenranta near the farmers' market and opens about 9 am, so by the time you get there it will be just before 10. You can find the consulate's web site (http://www.rusembassy.fi/ELRusConsOrg.htm) here. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CONSULATE IS OFFICIALLY ONLY OPEN M-W-F FOR VISA APPLICATIONS.

Submit application and materials for visa, they will give you invoice for payment at local bank. They do not insist on nominating where you have your AIDS test, I use the GlavUPDKa clinic in Moscow. Walk to bank, make payment. Eat lunch. Walk back and pick up visa if you paid for same day processing. If you have to stay overnight, there's a nice, cheap hostel with campground also within walking distance from center.

Kill time til 6:30 or so. Public internet free at the library. Couple of nice hyper markets, too. Real bargains in Salvation Army second hand store.

Take bus or taxi back to Vainikkala. Train leaves for Moscow in early evening and you will be back early the next morning.

svelt
31-10-2007, 20:13
got the aids ticket at sklif in 2 days. in and out, for blood and pay, in under ten minutes. in and out for results collection under two minutes. cost 225 rubles.

the finland farmers market sounds like a good option as i have heard that kiev is getting harder.
i had committed to tallinn and have the train ticket (2400 rubles)for the night of the 4th but if i get confirmation that the Vainikkala/Lappeenranta works as described now, that is after the new regs have come in and all this talk of 10 days, then i will be in finland to meet the farmers on monday morning. in which case does anyone want a cheapo sleeper ticket to tallinn?

kylekeeton
01-11-2007, 00:52
I am an American and living in Russia already more than a year.

Now we are just from our visa-trip to Kiev less than few weeks a go. We had all our papers done and had no problems with new business multi-entry visa for next year.

You can find more details here:
Windows to Russia! (http://kylekeeton.com/2007/10/what-was-needed-to-get-visa-in-ukraine.html)
and here
Windows to Russia! (http://kylekeeton.com/2007/10/part-2-ukraine-visa-trip-russian.html)

Best wishes
Kyle

BrianS
19-11-2007, 11:00
I am an American and living in Russia already more than a year.

Now we are just from our visa-trip to Kiev less than few weeks a go. We had all our papers done and had no problems with new business multi-entry visa for next year.

You can find more details here:
Windows to Russia! (http://kylekeeton.com/2007/10/what-was-needed-to-get-visa-in-ukraine.html)
and here
Windows to Russia! (http://kylekeeton.com/2007/10/part-2-ukraine-visa-trip-russian.html)

Best wishes
Kyle

I am an American too and just returned from Kiev and the rules have changed since the above posting. In fact they changed while I was in transit to Kiev as I had called prior to departure to make sure all was ok. Anyhow...the story is UNLESS you are registered in the Ukraine for MORE than 90 days the Kiev Embassy will issue you a visa after waiting 10 days from the date the application for the visa was made....meaning if you handed in your visa application on the 2nd you had to wait until the 12th to receive it. SO if you are American and are going to Kiev to get a visa plan to stick around 10 days. It seemed EU members were still able to get their visas same day, but all the Americans I saw there were unexpectedly delayed for the 10 day period. The staff was helpful and professional, but adament about the 10 day rule.