PDA

View Full Version : the thanks you got

GalinaP
28-08-2012, 00:45
Many years ago, when I worked in a cardiology ward, we managed to save one patient's life where it seemed hopeless. Everything was touch and go with the patient, and I was almost certain he wouldn't pull through. He did, and two weeks later, his wife came up to me, and simply said, 'Thank you', just that and nothing else. Her words still mean the world to me.

It would make me feel very good if you shared your stories of gratitude towards you. To hear about the good in you.

scd167
28-08-2012, 01:19
Many years ago, when I worked in a cardiology ward, we managed to save one patient's life where it seemed hopeless. Everything was touch and go with the patient, and I was almost certain he wouldn't pull through. He did, and two weeks later, his wife came up to me, and simply said, 'Thank you', just that and nothing else. Her words still mean the world to me.

It would make me feel very good if you shared your stories of gratitude towards you. To hear about the good in you.

Hmm, not quite as good. I met this Russian girl who was quite constipated. So, we agreed to manual means of remedying her of her affliction (and it was esctasy for me to accomodate such means of fecal extraction). She was thoroughly relieved of her affliction and she said thank you and her words also still mean the world to me.

:floating:

RichardB
28-08-2012, 02:10
Hmm, not quite as good. I met this Russian girl who was quite constipated. So, we agreed to manual means of remedying her of her affliction (and it was esctasy for me to accomodate such means of fecal extraction). She was thoroughly relieved of her affliction and she said thank you and her words also still mean the world to me.

I think you're just taking the s**t!

Lost in moscow
28-08-2012, 02:30
Cool,

Thank you are rare words in Moscow.

I don't have anything like that, least I can't recall anything that could stand up to your story.

But I do notice the sheer shock of not knowing how to respond in the faces of people that I thank.

mds45
28-08-2012, 09:05
I had the conversation will sitting on a marshrouteka on Sunday,I commented that no one leaves the van and says thanks to the driver, I was reminded of a Russian saying as the reason - " You can put a thank you in your pocket "

Says it all really - quite sad..

celia
28-08-2012, 10:34
My mother got a "thank you" while she was working as a young nurse in Canada. She had immigrated to Canada from Germany and was working as a nurse in Toronto. There was a patient in the hospital who was quite ill and no one knew what was wrong with him. My mother said (and here the story becomes vague because I don't know the name of the illness) "If I wasn't in Canada, I would have said that he has ....(typhus? TB?)" The doctors in Canada had never seen a person with that disease, but once my mother said this, the man's condition was treated and he survived. The man owned a bakery in Toronto and for a long time delivered a carton of baked goods to my mother regularly.

mds45
28-08-2012, 10:46
I had the conversation will sitting on a marshrouteka on Sunday,I commented that no one leaves the van and says thanks to the driver, I was reminded of a Russian saying as the reason - " You can put a thank you in your pocket "

OOOPs hate typing on the iPad should of course be " CAN'T put a thank you in your pocket

Inola
28-08-2012, 15:09

When i first came to Russia during my expat period of life and we first took the bus with my sister, I said "good morning" to the driver. My sister asked in shock "what's wrong with you?" :D The driver must have been dazed either as he didn't respond..

GalinaP
28-08-2012, 23:35
Cool,

Thank you are rare words in Moscow.

I don't have anything like that, least I can't recall anything that could stand up to your story.

But I do notice the sheer shock of not knowing how to respond in the faces of people that I thank.

I didn't know either then.

GalinaP
28-08-2012, 23:45
My mother got a "thank you" while she was working as a young nurse in Canada. She had immigrated to Canada from Germany and was working as a nurse in Toronto. There was a patient in the hospital who was quite ill and no one knew what was wrong with him. My mother said (and here the story becomes vague because I don't know the name of the illness) "If I wasn't in Canada, I would have said that he has ....(typhus? TB?)" The doctors in Canada had never seen a person with that disease, but once my mother said this, the man's condition was treated and he survived. The man owned a bakery in Toronto and for a long time delivered a carton of baked goods to my mother regularly.

Did you ever want, as a child, to study medicine to follow in your mother's steps?

GalinaP
28-08-2012, 23:48

Yes, like an aquantaince of mine once said, 'How liberating it is to be free from the chains of politeness'. Only in Russia...

GalinaP
28-08-2012, 23:50

Predictability is a good trait; makes for stability.

prd
29-08-2012, 01:15
After leaving my seat to someone in the Metro a Moscovite exclaims,rather surprised and in very good ENglish,you must be a foreigner for giving your seat away .......and after a few second of reflexion,I replied " you must be from f...ing Moscow for not saying thank you ..... lol

GalinaP
29-08-2012, 10:44
The best solution for foreigners in Moscow would be installing 'instant psychological help' booths in the streets and underground and what have you. All you'd have to do is type in what's just happened and get the appropriate responses back, like a breath of fresh air.

We, Russians, are so immune to callousness that getting thanks is a jaw-dropping experience to us. Too busy trying to survive. And thinking of it, all Russian humour about thanks is sarcastic and embittered, probably comes from not believing in words.

mds45
29-08-2012, 11:17
The best solution for foreigners in Moscow would be installing 'instant psychological help' booths in the streets and underground and what have you. All you'd have to do is type in what's just happened and get the appropriate responses back, like a breath of fresh air.

We, Russians, are so immune to callousness that getting thanks is a jaw-dropping experience to us. Too busy trying to survive. And thinking of it, all Russian humour about thanks is sarcastic and embittered, probably comes from not believing in words.

It's tragic ! please and thank you are the basis of society !

GalinaP
29-08-2012, 11:27
It's tragic ! please and thank you are the basis of society !

Lots of things are tragic about Russia. Just thinking how all intelligentzia got unnihlated with the coming of the Soviet Union, the brain drain, the lack of identity...

yakspeare
29-08-2012, 11:30
Lots of things are tragic about Russia. Just thinking how all intelligentzia got unnihlated with the coming of the Soviet Union, the brain drain, the lack of identity...

They are brave words on this forum where many stalinist abound. :)

Now if an expat said that, the conversation would go for ten pages...lol

GalinaP
29-08-2012, 11:33
They are brave words on this forum where many stalinist abound. :)

Now if an expat said that, the conversation would go for ten pages...lol

I'm well aware of that, but you can't argue against the plain truth.

Lost in moscow
29-08-2012, 11:52
There is only one way around this.

It's to say thank you, period.

Forget about those who don't, forget about those who say "can't put a thanks in your pocket" those are all douchebags. Let them live in their grey, unhappy place.

Just say it. If you add a smile, ever better.

I can't say that I used to say thank you, but I have noticed lately that I say it now all the time. I don't know what changed, or why I started to say it. No matter if I'm in line at the store, or buying a ticket from the bus driver, getting off at my destination on the Mini bus or someone holds the door for me getting in/out of the metro, I say it.

Can say people started acting nicer to me then before. They have become more helpful, kinder towards me, and most now smile as we make eye contact. Especially those that I see fairly often, like at the places I eat lunch at or the cashiers at my local store.

GalinaP
29-08-2012, 11:59
There is only one way around this.

It's to say thank you, period.

Forget about those who don't, forget about those who say "can't put a thanks in your pocket" those are all douchebags. Let them live in their grey, unhappy place.

Just say it. If you add a smile, ever better.

I can't say that I used to say thank you, but I have noticed lately that I say it now all the time. I don't know what changed, or why I started to say it. No matter if I'm in line at the store, or buying a ticket from the bus driver, getting off at my destination on the Mini bus or someone holds the door for me getting in/out of the metro, I say it.

Can say people started acting nicer to me then before. They have become more helpful, kinder towards me, and most now smile as we make eye contact. Especially those that I see fairly often, like at the places I eat lunch at or the cashiers at my local store.

Couldn't be said better. Better to start a thanks epidemic in Russia than get swamped in the gloom.

yakspeare
29-08-2012, 14:16
www.theyakspearetimes.ru

Health Minister assures that thank epidemic is under control

In news today, the Russian Health Minister assured calm and that the thank epidemic strain of the Ha99y virus is well contained.

"We have seen a small outbreak of thanks in Moscow and Saint Petersburg" He said" But reports in regional centres seem to be a small number of cases only"

This has not been the first time such viruses have plagued Russia. Back in 2005, the smile virus infected various regions of the Volga and there was even one case in Siberia. At the time, people were encouraged to maintain a stern appearance on the street, and if they found themselves with the virus, they should immediately purchase a facemask to stop it spreading and hide their expression.

Nationalist leader Fasocrakpotovich has made the claim that foreign workers are responsible for these new strains of viruses entering the country " It wasn't like this before the borders were opened up. It is damning evidence against the government that they have eased border security. They even allowed in Mcdonalds with their happy meals"

Benedikt
29-08-2012, 15:38
without getting a thank you or even a smile. forgot to count. but in every case than i turn around to the person and say in a very loud and very sarcastic voice -thank you-. got quite a few apologetic smiles and thank's.
from the looks of it, please and thank you are the 2 most difficult words in moscow. People are not used to that you open a door, give up a seat ( if it is not an extreme old/pregnant/handicapped) person.

So i stick to my version of politeness and correctness. I behave like a Gentleman if the woman behaves like lady.

Inola
29-08-2012, 15:44
www.theyakspearetimes.ru

Health Minister assures that thank epidemic is under control

In news today, the Russian Health Minister assured calm and that the thank epidemic strain of the Ha99y virus is well contained.

"We have seen a small outbreak of thanks in Moscow and Saint Petersburg" He said" But reports in regional centres seem to be a small number of cases only"

This has not been the first time such viruses have plagued Russia. Back in 2005, the smile virus infected various regions of the Volga and there was even one case in Siberia. At the time, people were encouraged to maintain a stern appearance on the street, and if they found themselves with the virus, they should immediately purchase a facemask to stop it spreading and hide their expression.

Nationalist leader Fasocrakpotovich has made the claim that foreign workers are responsible for these new strains of viruses entering the country " It wasn't like this before the borders were opened up. It is damning evidence against the government that they have eased border security. They even allowed in Mcdonalds with their happy meals"

Check your sources... Your link is broken

:D

Lost in moscow
29-08-2012, 17:58
give up a seat ( if it is not an extreme old/pregnant/handicapped) person.

On that topic, is it just me do extremely fat people think they are old or handicapped? More then a couple times has an enormously fat woman stood over me and glaring at me as if she was expecting me to get up for her....Once an enormously fat lady decided to yell at me for not giving my place up for her. Not that she would be able to fit her fat ass in the space I take up. But I always seem to be the target.

Not being the kind of person that takes it well getting yelled at when I know I've done nothing wrong, snapped back her telling her that her inability to put down the fork is not a handicap. So she decided to sit on me........oh the stench of sweaty blubber. She won in the end though, she ended up taking the whole corner seat to herself, the two people next to me had to evacuate as well.

GalinaP
29-08-2012, 21:18
On that topic, is it just me do extremely fat people think they are old or handicapped? More then a couple times has an enormously fat woman stood over me and glaring at me as if she was expecting me to get up for her....Once an enormously fat lady decided to yell at me for not giving my place up for her. Not that she would be able to fit her fat ass in the space I take up. But I always seem to be the target.

Not being the kind of person that takes it well getting yelled at when I know I've done nothing wrong, snapped back her telling her that her inability to put down the fork is not a handicap. So she decided to sit on me........oh the stench of sweaty blubber. She won in the end though, she ended up taking the whole corner seat to herself, the two people next to me had to evacuate as well.

Last time I travelled with Vova (my youngest, the one with DS), there was the only seat left on the train, occupied by two big people, they could've but never bothered to even glance at him though sitting on the train is what he prefers. One of small joys left for him in Russia, especially with people liking to give him THE LOOK (you know, what business do YOU have here), so he usually looks out of the window, helps him switch off. Vova ended up looking plaintively at me, but I couldn't help. In moments like this, you just stand there and wonder about Mother Russia...