PDA

View Full Version : Krasnodar?

lechatbleu
17-08-2012, 18:28
It looks like I'm going to be heading to Krasnodar in early-mid September...and I see there a few previous threads about it, so there must be a few English speakers there. Any advice? Suggestions? Things I should check out? Things I should be forewarned about? There was a time I spoke some Russian, but it's been a good ten years since I've used it, so I figure until I pick some of it up again I'm going to be pretty starved for human interaction.

FatAndy
17-08-2012, 18:34
It looks like I'm going to be heading to Krasnodar in early-mid September...and I see there a few previous threads about it, so there must be a few English speakers there. Any advice? Suggestions? Things I should check out? Things I should be forewarned about? There was a time I spoke some Russian, but it's been a good ten years since I've used it, so I figure until I pick some of it up again I'm going to be pretty starved for human interaction.
One name you need - Yaky Yak, aka yakspeare. http://www.expat.ru/forum/member.php?u=1752355046
He knows everybody in Krasnodar, including English speakers, Russian speakers, Ukrainian speakers, Uzbek speakers, local rebe, orthodox priests, mullahs etc. He is double agent of FSB and Australian Intelligence Service and famous destroyer of all reserves of local wineyards.
Rely on him and you'll never regret.
:mml:

robertmf
17-08-2012, 18:40
One name you need - Yaky Yak, aka yakspeare.
He knows everybody in Krasnodar, including local rebe, orthodox priests, mullahs etc. He is double agent of FSB and Australian Intelligence Service and famous destroyer of all reserves of local wineyards.
Rely on him and you'll never regret.

:mml:

Welcome lechatbleu :wavey: to expat.ru :)

Sometimes *yakspeare* goes undercover in Krasnodar.

yakspeare
17-08-2012, 19:01

There are over 90 expats in Krasnodar. There is a free English club that many go to(with 700+ members! But not all show up at once) plus an expat club meetings. Irish bars, English pubs etc

You don't really need Russian down here, every place seems to have someone who speaks English, plus English menus etc.

PM me if you want more info. You will get a warm welcome down this way, plenty of expats to make you feel at home.

robertmf
17-08-2012, 19:19
There are over 90 expats in Krasnodar. There is a free English club that many go to(with 700+ members! But not all show up at once) plus an expat club meetings. Irish bars, English pubs etc

You don't really need Russian down here, every place seems to have someone who speaks English, plus English menus etc.

PM me if you want more info. You will get a warm welcome down this way, plenty of expats to make you feel at home.

Ah! Besides the good weather, Krasnodar is a prime commercial area.

Krasnodar has [-]is[/-] has a highly developed commercial [-]area[/-] zone. Krasnodar has the largest $ turnover in the SFD. Retail trade turnover in 2010 reached 290 billion RUB. Krasnodar is the first in Russia in the number of malls (per capita). Note that in the crisis year 2009 turnover of Krasnodar continued to grow, while most of the cities showed a negative trend of circulation of goods.
Tourism comprises a large part of Krasnodar's economy. There are more than 80 hotels in Krasnodar.

Krasnodar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yakspeare
17-08-2012, 19:25
We also have the largest IMAX in Europe. And we are about to get yet another huge shopping centre, comprising of GUM and many others. There is nor shortage of shopping here. It is quite a rich city.

Inola
17-08-2012, 21:35
I start envying you, lechatbleu :) Good that you go there in September though, summers in Krasnodar can be unbearably hot...

yakspeare
18-08-2012, 08:47
I start envying you, lechatbleu :) Good that you go there in September though, summers in Krasnodar can be unbearably hot...

two summers back it was unbearable in summer and we had a real winteer too. Last year it was just "hot" and winter lasted a month. This year the summer has been mild and pleasant-high 20s into low 30s for most of it and winter didn't exist at all. global cooling? :P

FatAndy
20-08-2012, 11:44
. global cooling? :P
Nope. It seems to me kubanoids just have brought a suitcase to weather gods ;)
BTW congratulations with the new userpic, Dr....

lechatbleu
20-08-2012, 19:00
I don't mind hot summers, I grew up in Arizona, where they hit 40+ regularly.

How do I get hooked up with this English club? Is there a website or facebook page or something like?

I do love a good Irish pub...

yakspeare
20-08-2012, 19:16
http://www.facebook.com/groups/krasnodar.english.club/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/9120974701/

lechatbleu
29-09-2012, 11:38
I'm here, for about 2 weeks now, and loving Krasnodar, but...when is it going to cool off?

Also, does anyone know where I could find an ice skating rink near the city center (I live on Krasnaya)/

FatAndy
29-09-2012, 15:53
I'm here, for about 2 weeks now, and loving Krasnodar, but...when is it going to cool off?

Also, does anyone know where I could find an ice skating rink near the city center (I live on Krasnaya)/
Close to November... ;)

Regarding second question - Yandex knows everything:
http://yandex.ru/yandsearch?text=%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9+%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%BA+%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%80&from=os&lr=213

http://www.ostrova.biz/page-10